Where's our Summer?

for the last 15 years or so May is always the best month for weather in the North East.

July and August are very often shite here so make the most of this mixed June as it's all downhill from here.

Starts next week, ends September.
Who made the rules that summer starts on June 21st?

I’m clearly no Neil DeGrasse Tyson but the earth is closest to the sun on the 21st which theoretically ought to be the mid point of the summer cos from then on the earth is moving further from the sun = colder weather and shorter days. Maybe the axis affects this somehow which gives us supposedly hotter weather after the solstice and colder weather after December 21st.

I work in a gardens with an outdoor cafe area and we've had 3 quiet days since Easter, it's been lovely over the dales.

Who made the rules that summer starts on June 21st?

I’m clearly no Neil DeGrasse Tyson but the earth is closest to the sun on the 21st which theoretically ought to be the mid point of the summer cos from then on the earth is moving further from the sun = colder weather and shorter days. Maybe the axis affects this somehow which gives us supposedly hotter weather after the solstice and colder weather after December 21st.
The earth warms up with the oceans which get warmer after June so that’s why the northern hemisphere is warmer in July & August.

Back