Where were you born?

I only just got why the Blast beach is called the Blast beach when I looked at that old map of Seaham/Dawdon. The branch line running off to Dawdon Colliery is labelled BLASTFURNACE BRANCH. Googling around, there used to be a blast furnace in the 1800s. There was also a bottle works which is still on that map from 1920. We used to go collecting "jewels" off the beach which apparently are now called sea glass and worth a bomb :eek:
Seaham was the world's biggest bottle manufacturing town in the 1800's iirc. Also used to be called little cornwall due to the number of tin miners who moved up to live there when the pits opened up.

Brilliant! Watched it only a few weeks ago with our lass - first time for her. " Get that would you Maureen" Not sure if it was Maureen but funny as. I was also one of those 'bloody catholics' and 'not like us, I can put a rubber sheath over my old feller'
Are you a Leonards lad then Foggy?

I only just got why the Blast beach is called the Blast beach when I looked at that old map of Seaham/Dawdon. The branch line running off to Dawdon Colliery is labelled BLASTFURNACE BRANCH. Googling around, there used to be a blast furnace in the 1800s. There was also a bottle works which is still on that map from 1920. We used to go collecting "jewels" off the beach which apparently are now called sea glass and worth a bomb :eek:

It was the best place to collect them I loved them , sadly didn't keep them

I've seen small craft businesses using it. They go out and pick it up and use it for jewellery making and other ornament type stuff.

Upstairs bedroom, Sunderland, nine days late, ten and a half pounds :eek:. Can’t imagine them doing that nowadays.

Your poor mam !

my ex mother in law reckoned her mother or it may have been her grandmother she was talking about ( I foget tbh ) had a baby that was a stone (14lbs, ) :eek: she reckoned it was a diabetic pregnancy before the days of inducing mothers

Last edited:

Back