Where to stay in New York?

No, there was an easy use safe in the room, free to use

Think I’d stay at Brooklyn next time we go, hog a nice feeling to it and it’s a LONG walk over the bridge into the city, especially when it’s getting dark.
Some great bars/ eating places on the road upto the subway station too

Tidied. Thankfully there's the subway.

Because it's shite and touristy. Like going to London and stopping next to Hyde Park with all the souvenir shops and crap restaurants.

You can travel in to see the sites then when you head back to your digs you know you've got class bars and places to eat nearby.
what a load of tripe. midtown is class, gives you the proper NYC vibe and theres plenty of authentic and cheap stuff to do. nobody in their right mind wants to get on the subway when they can stay in manhattan for the same price.

It would be our first visit there. Planning to do the usual tourist bits and sights... Hopefully a baseball game (need to check fixtures) so I was really just asking for a decent area as a base and any hotels or apartments anyone could recommend... Cheers for replies so far.
if you want to get amongst it stay in midtown. the mets ground is on the 7 train and generally cheaper than a yankees game.

No, there was an easy use safe in the room, free to use

Think I’d stay at Brooklyn next time we go, hog a nice feeling to it and it’s a great walk over the bridge into the city, especially when it’s getting dark.
Some great bars/ eating places on the road upto the subway station too
No, the website says they want a "$50 per night for your stay" (so $300:eek:) deposit in case of 'damages' - did you come across that ? I'm not going to smash the place up bu that seems a bit OTT.

This will be my first trip and a sort of a bucket list thing with U2/MSG. Had the bridge walk pencilled in for a Sunday - but Paramore have just announced a gig at the Barclays Centre on the Tues so we might get tickets and spend a full day over that way.

what a load of tripe. midtown is class, gives you the proper NYC vibe and theres plenty of authentic and cheap stuff to do. nobody in their right mind wants to get on the subway when they can stay in manhattan for the same price.

if you want to get amongst it stay in midtown. the mets ground is on the 7 train and generally cheaper than a yankees game.

How many nights did you go for?

If the OP wants to save a few bob (as you will only spend a few hours a day in the hotel - and that will be sleeping) check Jazz On The Park or one of the other hostels. You can get twin rooms in there (that I had to share with a random) but book out two of those type rooms (one for you, one for the boys) and you'll be quids in to spend on other things. Up near where John Lennon was killed (mid central park west). Short subway ride in. And plenty of cafe's/restaurants/famous comedy club up that way for breakfast/evening entertainment.

I've been to New York about 6/7 times and I wouldn't get bored of staying in midtown now. I would probably end up staying somewhere else to save money though, but that's a different argument.

Back