Where does the border lie ?

Curious to know where the unofficial border lies between Sunderland and Newcastle supporters and whether there is an area(s) where there is a '50/50' mix.
I assume it gets a bit fractious of an evening on match days in the borderlands ?!

I live in Newcastle and over the last season and a half we've built a sizeable branch. Im very surprised at how many of us there are.

I wondered if a few marriages over the years have caused some divides between offspring. My brother married a girl from Wallsend and they have two sons (one Newcastle and one Coventry fan - dives for cover!!!)

It used to be far more tribal than now. You were basically born into a family and that decided your allegiance. When my sister was about 17 she started dating a Mag. My (much younger) brother, who was about 6 at the time, gave the lad such a hard time he dumped here after about six weeks. When she married, it was to a Sunderland fan.

It was easy pre -1974, when Sunderland was in County Durham, and The Mags in Northumberland. A lot of people supported their county teams, but it did get mixed the closer you got to each side of the Tyne. When Tyne and Wear came in (WTF was that all about ?), it got confusing and Washington was generally considered the"Buffer Zone"
Stanley has always been a weird place - in all respects, not just football support.

Not really Sunderland and Newcastle(and a fair few miles north) cities are obviously near enough 100%, Gateshead 90-10 Stanley consett 70-30,Shields Washington Chester, 60-40 in favour of the mags,biggest loss for Sunderland was the Durham pit villages infiltrated by the filth in the 90’s and have been festering ever since!!! When I say these percentages half the gravy stain bastards think keegan is still in charge and big al still wears the famous number 9, have never stepped in side the sports direct, and do nothing to support the club except buy their toon top to be worn at any visit to Spain the airport and any event held in Sunderland!
Not the made up percentages 😂🙈

Unlike the mountain folk of Tow Law
Wolsingham? It's on the banks of Wear btw.

I thought he was on about Wolsingham just wanted to check. I know where Wolsingham is I went to secondary school there when I moved from Sunderland at 11. Fully aware it's on the banks of the wear.

Now I must admit I have been away quite a while left for the army at 19 and haven't lived in the north east since.

However, from what I remember the area summed up Durham mags following Keegan and their offspring following.
I mean unless Wolsingham itself was an exception.

Last edited:
I was working in Northumberland when the mags signed Michael Owen. When the news was announced I wandered over to The Tab Shack to console myself and it was overrun MLFs doing exactly the same thing. It was surreal listening to people talking like Sid Waddell and slagging the mags off.

I don't think there has ever been a hard border because people from the north east are always moving about with work.

Back