Where does the border lie ?

SkyblueHarry

Full Back
Curious to know where the unofficial border lies between Sunderland and Newcastle supporters and whether there is an area(s) where there is a '50/50' mix.
I assume it gets a bit fractious of an evening on match days in the borderlands ?!

Curious to know where the unofficial border lies between Sunderland and Newcastle supporters and whether there is an area(s) where there is a '50/50' mix.
I assume it gets a bit fractious of an evening on match days in the borderlands ?!
Fuck off!!! Toon toon toon no border,be mags in Sunderland and vice versa.

Fair enough. but i thought both areas were fairly partisan !
Not really Sunderland and Newcastle(and a fair few miles north) cities are obviously near enough 100%, Gateshead 90-10 Stanley consett 70-30,Shields Washington Chester, 60-40 in favour of the mags,biggest loss for Sunderland was the Durham pit villages infiltrated by the filth in the 90’s and have been festering ever since!!! When I say these percentages half the gravy stain bastards think keegan is still in charge and big al still wears the famous number 9, have never stepped in side the sports direct, and do nothing to support the club except buy their toon top to be worn at any visit to Spain the airport and any event held in Sunderland!

Last edited:
It changes over time dependent on success to some extent, but with the places so close together there is no boundary, and hasn't really been for decades. If you want to look at 'predominantly', then Gateshead/Team Valley and all to the west and North is very predominantly NUFC, all to the South and East of Gateshead (up to the Tyne) is predominantly SAFC, but it's fuzzy due South and could be debated- your 50/50 might be Birtley and Stanley(?) at least to my experience. Durham and West of the A1 may have gone the same way or are heading there. Limited SAFC North of the Tyne, a significant Mag presence in Chester-Le Street, and increasing at present in Towns on the South bank of the Tyne and Washington. Limited NUFC, sadly, is probably now restricted to Sunderland itself, but without too many East of the A1 to the South.

Last edited:
It's difficult to identify a border when siblings brought up in the same place are divided between them and us.

It's difficult to identify a border when siblings brought up in the same place are divided between them and us.

I wondered if a few marriages over the years have caused some divides between offspring. My brother married a girl from Wallsend and they have two sons (one Newcastle and one Coventry fan - dives for cover!!!)

I wondered if a few marriages over the years have caused some divides between offspring. My brother married a girl from Wallsend and they have two sons (one Newcastle and one Coventry fan - dives for cover!!!)
My dad is red and white, his youngest brother is a mag. When he was 12 my dad killed his brother with a trident.
Ashington had a good Sunderland following. Apart from that I would imagine NUFC has a catchment area from County Durham to Berwick and the borders and west to Carlisle. That's some area.
The mining communities would take their support with them.

The Mags have had some succesful times, albeit without winning anything. Our popularity soared in the region for the 2014 final for example.

Back