Where do you store your digital photos?

If you are an Amazon Prime member you have unlimited photo storage

My pics automatically backup to Amazon and Flickr (and Google) but it's Amazon I use most.

It appears that you can download all your stuff from Flickr so I'd do it that way.

A bit of a clart on but it gets the job done
Ta.

I’ve got my download link from them now so I’ll give it a go tomorrow, then figure out how to stick it all on amazon. It’s a pain; finding time to download 34 zips files of photos and then uploading them (as well as finding a sodding hard drive to put them on in the middle of that process) all again was what I was trying to avoid.

Flickr can fuck off.

Ta.

I’ve got my download link from them now so I’ll give it a go tomorrow, then figure out how to stick it all on amazon. It’s a pain; finding time to download 34 zips files of photos and then uploading them (as well as finding a sodding hard drive to put them on in the middle of that process) all again was what I was trying to avoid.

Flickr can fuck off.
Once you’ve done it you can set up Amazon to automatically back up pics from your phone or hard drive.

I agree with your Flickr comment

I've been tasked with storing and backing up the wifes photography stuff - she does weddings so need to keep copies of them just in case. Currently she has 2TB hard drives for each year she has been operating as a business and i have just set up a server with 24TB of storage so we now have everything on the server and the drives are stored off site for disaster recovery.

My mrs has just had the flickr email and she has around 10k of photos on there - can amazon be used in the same way as flickr? ie to give gallery access to customers etc to see pics?

I had two Flickr accounts - both "Pro" as a result of having BT Internet email. They were both still reading as "Pro" in some of the pages but I was sent the upgrade email and was told that BT Internet "Pro" accounts would be subject to the same "cull" as all other non "Pro" accounts.

The subsequent pantomime unfolded in that..

1. I was told that I would need to migrate away from the BT Internet email as the basis for the accounts.
2. I successfully migrated one of them to a Gmail account and paid for its upgrade (no problem..)
3. I tried to migrate the other account to a Live email address - and after 37 exchanges of email their tech team were unable to achieve that.

Meanwhile I had lost access to log in for that account so was unable to either download the pictures or delete them. That was a total of 19,000 photos that were still visible on the internet that were mine and that I had absolutely no control over.

It took a further 3 attempts to get the unbelievably incompetent tech team to delete the old account and the 19,000 pictures.

Despite the nightmare that I had - the new Pro account is working great and displays well. I like their new uploader as well. A folder that you can leave on your desktop - and anything that goes into it will be automatically uploaded (defaults to private until you switch it to public) which I think is a decent service.

I had two Flickr accounts - both "Pro" as a result of having BT Internet email. They were both still reading as "Pro" in some of the pages but I was sent the upgrade email and was told that BT Internet "Pro" accounts would be subject to the same "cull" as all other non "Pro" accounts.

The subsequent pantomime unfolded in that..

1. I was told that I would need to migrate away from the BT Internet email as the basis for the accounts.
2. I successfully migrated one of them to a Gmail account and paid for its upgrade (no problem..)
3. I tried to migrate the other account to a Live email address - and after 37 exchanges of email their tech team were unable to achieve that.

Meanwhile I had lost access to log in for that account so was unable to either download the pictures or delete them. That was a total of 19,000 photos that were still visible on the internet that were mine and that I had absolutely no control over.

It took a further 3 attempts to get the unbelievably incompetent tech team to delete the old account and the 19,000 pictures.

Despite the nightmare that I had - the new Pro account is working great and displays well. I like their new uploader as well. A folder that you can leave on your desktop - and anything that goes into it will be automatically uploaded (defaults to private until you switch it to public) which I think is a decent service.
They had the desktop uploader for years for macs. They don't have that any longer.

Ta.

Flickr can fuck off.
Is the free account going?

Edit: Just looked! My photos are at risk of deletion!!!!!

I've got to Feb 5th to sort. ....... grrrrrrttrr

How can flickr say they will store your photos and then just delete them?
If it it weren't for hellsbells' post I wouldn't have even known.

I've spent ages sorting photos from my PC and putting them on flickr.

Amazon isn't free, it's likely more than flickr pro.

Maybe I'll go old fashioned and get prints made of some and make up photo albums like back in the day.

Or

Just let them be deleted. How often do we look at old photos?

But there are some I really like :cry:

Last edited:

Maybe I'll go old fashioned and get prints made of some and make up photo albums like back in the day.

Or

Have you not had a load of emails from them telling you they were going to get deleted?

I already have Amazon prime so I’ll stick them on there. I’ve downloaded them all but I think I’ve lost all the albums and sets etc. :(

Or

I think it costs about £40 or £50 to go "Pro." For that you get unlimited storage(and if you don't want to do anything about them - you can leave them all there obviously enough.)

I guess it comes down to how much its worth to you having to re-sort. On Amazon Prime, they are all stored perfectly well - but nobody can see them. Although I did have a right faff with Flickr, now that its sorted - I got everything organised onto one account - and got the links round to the family - which they've really appreciated.

Just thinking what to do.

Anybody help me with a question as I'm not really computer savvy.

Can I download/upload ( see I'm not even sure of the term) direct to, say, Amazon from Flickr? Or does it have to be from Flickr to laptop to Amazon?

( I think Flickr are mean deleting photos, why can't they just stop more photos being added?):evil:

I still have the photos on my laptop so I could start over but I really don't have time in the next ten days.

Also second question.....
When I look at "my documents" ( includes "my pictures") on windows 8 on my laptop there is a cloud ( I think) folder. If I copied all my photos there, does that work as a solution?

Just thinking what to do.

Anybody help me with a question as I'm not really computer savvy.

Can I download/upload ( see I'm not even sure of the term) direct to, say, Amazon from Flickr? Or does it have to be from Flickr to laptop to Amazon?

( I think Flickr are mean deleting photos, why can't they just stop more photos being added?):evil:

I still have the photos on my laptop so I could start over but I really don't have time in the next ten days.

Also second question.....
When I look at "my documents" ( includes "my pictures") on windows 8 on my laptop there is a cloud ( I think) folder. If I copied all my photos there, does that work as a solution?
I think you have to download them all to a hard drive, then upload somewhere else. I’ve downloaded all of mine to my Mac, and I’ll upload later.

My plan was to pay for the annual fee (£40 with an early discount) to give myself time to sort it all, but they fucked it all up so I’ve taken my ball away. But you could always do that.

Ps, if you’ve already got all the photos anyway then it’s piintless you downloading them tbh. They just give you a load of zip files to download and I’m not sure they’ve kept them in any specific folder structure.

FWIW all of t my photos automatically back up to Amazon from my hard drive.
If I go with this I might arrange for that to happen.

I think you have to download them all to a hard drive, then upload somewhere else. I’ve downloaded all of mine to my Mac, and I’ll upload later.

My plan was to pay for the annual fee (£40 with an early discount) to give myself time to sort it all, but they fucked it all up so I’ve taken my ball away. But you could always do that.

Ps, if you’ve already got all the photos anyway then it’s piintless you downloading them tbh. They just give you a load of zip files to download and I’m not sure they’ve kept them in any specific folder structure.
Thank you. I was thinking I still have all the photos on my laptop top, so I can leave the Flickr ones alone. It looks like they are going to let us keep the one thousand newest ones and they will just delete photos 1001 onwards .

I was considering paying to go pro as I like my photo "albums" but after your troubles with payment and also Cuthbert's I feel disinclined to go that route.

I shall think on.

##########################

Best cloud storage 2019: Top options to keep your photos safe | TechRadar

Just for interest.

If I go with this I might arrange for that to happen.

Thank you. I was thinking I still have all the photos on my laptop top, so I can leave the Flickr ones alone. It looks like they are going to let us keep the one thousand newest ones and they will just delete photos 1001 onwards .

I was considering paying to go pro as I like my photo "albums" but after your troubles with payment and also Cuthbert's I feel disinclined to go that route.

I shall think on.

##########################

Best cloud storage 2019: Top options to keep your photos safe | TechRadar

Just for interest.

Your other option (which can be free if you're prepared to allow them to apply a small amount of compression to your original shots - the photographic equivalent, they say, of storing your entire CD collection as MP3 free of charge) is Google Photos. All you need is to have a Gmail account.

Even if you want to use / keep your original shots uncompressed - you get 15GB storage free and can then pay for further storage if you choose ( £1.59pcm for 100GB, £2.49pcm for 200GB, £7.99pcm for 2TB.)

Essentially they are saying "most people will be fine with thee free version."

Guide to it below:

Your other option (which can be free if you're prepared to allow them to apply a small amount of compression to your original shots - the photographic equivalent, they say, of storing your entire CD collection as MP3 free of charge) is Google Photos. All you need is to have a Gmail account.

Even if you want to use / keep your original shots uncompressed - you get 15GB storage free and can then pay for further storage if you choose ( £1.59pcm for 100GB, £2.49pcm for 200GB, £7.99pcm for 2TB.)

Essentially they are saying "most people will be fine with thee free version."

Guide to it below:

I use that too.

I had a hard drive disaster a few years ago and now make sure I’m backed up everywhere.

I use all but the last one.

As this thread is as relevant as the sticky, I’m merging them.

Last edited:

Back