When will masks hopefully cease to exist?

Well yes, but by that logic the vast majority of people you see in Essex who don't wear a mask will be Tories. You're skewing the results you see, because a disproportionate number of people in your sample fit one of the demographic criteria.

On what grounds do polls "often appear not to reflect real life"? Maybe they don't reflect your own lived experience, but you're just one bloke. We're all products of our environment and most people associate with people similar to them. This is why our lived experience is generally a poor proxy for what everyone else is thinking.

Of course you're more than welcome to dispute the results and not believe them. That is your prerogative.
I lived down south for a number of years and I've also lived in Glasgow and Doncaster. I've mixed with a good variety of people.
The problem with polls is we often have no way of checking whether they are right or wrong. A poll that shows who will win the next UK general election, or the be the next US president, or how we will vote in a referendum are easy to check after the event. A poll that says, for instance, if you don't wear a mask you're more likely to be a Tory can't be checked for accuracy.
Then what we find are the polls that can be checked often get it wrong. Plus a poll showed that in the referendum that younger people didn't vote. That caused a bit of objection so they did another. The second poll showed that young people had voted by the bucket load. Those are the reasons I don't trust them and why I don't pigeon hole folk based on them. I also don't need the self satisfaction, the smug feeling of knowing that a poll has shown I'm in the good guys group.

I lived down south for a number of years and I've also lived in Glasgow and Doncaster. I've mixed with a good variety of people.
The problem with polls is we often have no way of checking whether they are right or wrong. A poll that shows who will win the next UK general election, or the be the next US president, or how we will vote in a referendum are easy to check after the event. A poll that says, for instance, if you don't wear a mask you're more likely to be a Tory can't be checked for accuracy.
Then what we find are the polls that can be checked often get it wrong. Plus a poll showed that in the referendum that younger people didn't vote. That caused a bit of objection so they did another. The second poll showed that young people had voted by the bucket load. Those are the reasons I don't trust them and why I don't pigeon hole folk based on them. I also don't need the self satisfaction, the smug feeling of knowing that a poll has shown I'm in the good guys group.

Well yes, but in regards to who does and does not wear a mask at the moment, what you see with your own eyes is only Sunderland, which has a disproportionate number of Labour voters.

Polls that directly measure a proportion of something are pretty sound. Polls that measure who will win an election, in both the UK and the US, do not directly measure proportion. In the UK, voting intention is filtered through 650 constituencies, and in the US, voting intention is filtered not just through 50 states, but then through the electoral college. Based on that, I don't think it is fair to say that because a poll doesn't accurately predict an electoral outcome, it is wrong.

You are welcome to not trust them and believe what you wish about them, but I don't believe your justification for your belief is sound.

Well yes, but in regards to who does and does not wear a mask at the moment, what you see with your own eyes is only Sunderland, which has a disproportionate number of Labour voters.

Polls that directly measure a proportion of something are pretty sound. Polls that measure who will win an election, in both the UK and the US, do not directly measure proportion. In the UK, voting intention is filtered through 650 constituencies, and in the US, voting intention is filtered not just through 50 states, but then through the electoral college. Based on that, I don't think it is fair to say that because a poll doesn't accurately predict an electoral outcome, it is wrong.

You are welcome to not trust them and believe what you wish about them, but I don't believe your justification for your belief is sound.
Ok that's fair enough. We'll leave it at that.

I spent the weekend in Glasgow at 2 gigs, various pubs, shops, eating places, buses and 4 trains
Hardly anyone wearing masks even though they are still compulsory in Scotland
Needless to say I caught the bugger after 2 years of skilfully avoiding it

I'm sure I'll be fine but I am concerned I've brought it home to the missus

Getting rid now will probably mean that everyone who has avoided it will get it and I'm not sure how many more will get seriously ill or die
I definitely feel it's too soon

I worded that badly. I shouldn't have said you don't give a shit about others if you don't wear a mask. That was unfair of me and I take it back. They aren't currently compulsory in public places so it's our own choice whether we wear one or not. We shouldn't judge or label those who do or don't.
Thanks for that...made me smile :D

No one is wearing them now thankfully
Sainsbury's this morning 90% customers masked . Dropping wife off for an opticians appointment this afternoon , she rang them to ask if staff will be masked ( cancelling if not ) , they assured her, nothing has changed , all mask protocol still stands. Azda grocery delivery last night , driver arrived masked.
Not compulsory so people who want to discard them I have no issue with , but please stop with the mis information .

Sainsbury's this morning 90% customers masked . Dropping wife off for an opticians appointment this afternoon , she rang them to ask if staff will be masked ( cancelling if not ) , they assured her, nothing has changed , all mask protocol still stands. Azda grocery delivery last night , driver arrived masked.
Not compulsory so people who want to discard them I have no issue with , but please stop with the mis information .

He can't help it. Neither can a few other posters. They are absolutely compelled to 'get bites' because their sense of humour revolves around making themselves the centre of attention. They're absolutely not worth the effort of your attention and are best ignored, for they add nothing to the board whatsoever.

He can't help it. Neither can a few other posters. They are absolutely compelled to 'get bites' because their sense of humour revolves around making themselves the centre of attention. They're absolutely not worth the effort of your attention and are best ignored, for they add nothing to the board whatsoever.
You OK?
We don't all live in the same place. The majority of people here aren't wearing them.

Back