When will football decide enough is enough?

Ok for the super rich to quadruple their fortunes in the past 10 years, many of which didn't do fuck all to earn it
But when some lad brought up in a mud hut on the Nile strikes gold people are outraged
Exactly.
Working class lads who earn a great wage based on their talent are hated. It's pure jealousy. Pathetic really. People slate them. They accept a wage that an employer is willing to pay them. As if anybody would turn it down.

I don’t agree with that obscene amount of money but it happens with the best in pretty much all popular sport. Football, the NHL, NFL and NBA.

Only difference is that in yank land they have the trade and draft system so there’s a good chance you won’t go 100 years without seeing your team win something.
Not the only difference unfortunately: they also have no promotion/relegation.

If you want a draft system, you have to stop that.

Never.

The next thing coming in football is a permanent winter break. You'll then have Man City v PSG in Saudi Arabia in December in some kind of European Super League Cup type tournament. You'll have to pay 30 quid to watch the game

Salah will earn £52m over 3 years (and he's not anywhere near the highest paid players) and whilst I don't begrudge him receiving it (as Liverpool are willing to pay it), a surgeon who performs life saving surgery on children, us and who knows maybe Salah one day won't even earn 1% of that over 3 years.

Surely the football hierarchy needs to set caps on spending across Europe same for every club?

In a few years we are going to get players being paid £1m per week (it can't be sustainable surely????) and at which point I can honestly see fans being turned off.
Imo players salary’s are the correct thing that football clubs should be spending their money on. If a player earns something it is because he is contributing to bringing that income into the business. I don’t see a problem with it.

Cap salaries and allow the wankers in the boardroom to fill their pockets. Doesn’t make sense to me.

You could change the sheer volume of capital in football mind. Ban corporate sponsorships, set a standard ticket price, and provide a monopoly public service broadcaster for games. But in truth non of those things in general are causing any great moral issues in the game and it would just be ideology for ideologies sake.

Football is one of the most effective sectors for social mobility and meritocracy.

Last edited:
Imo players salary’s are the correct thing that football clubs should be spending their money on. If a player earns something it is because he is contributing to bringing that income into the business. I don’t see a problem with it.

Cap salaries and allow the wankers in the boardroom to fill their pockets. Doesn’t make sense to me.

You could change the sheer volume of capital in football mind. Ban corporate sponsorships, set a standard ticket price, and provide a monopoly public service broadcaster for games. But in truth non of those things in general are causing any great moral issues in the game and it would just be ideology for ideologies sake.

Football is one of the most effective sectors for social mobility and meritocracy.

I liked for your whole post, but that last sentence....*chefs kiss* brilliant

Salah will earn £52m over 3 years (and he's not anywhere near the highest paid players) and whilst I don't begrudge him receiving it (as Liverpool are willing to pay it), a surgeon who performs life saving surgery on children, us and who knows maybe Salah one day won't even earn 1% of that over 3 years.

Surely the football hierarchy needs to set caps on spending across Europe same for every club?

In a few years we are going to get players being paid £1m per week (it can't be sustainable surely????) and at which point I can honestly see fans being turned off.

Every so often I remember this story from 4 years ago. I really don’t think the men in suits at the FA sit around fretting about there being too much money in the game and thinking of ways to get rid of it all.

THANKS A MIL

Richard Scudamore: Departing Premier League chief to accept £5m ‘golden handshake’, sparking fury​

All 20 clubs were asked to contribute to a whip-round for the outgoing chief, whose salary is around £900,000, with the money being paid over three years, while he will also be retained in a consultancy advisory role
By Damian Mannion
15th November 2018, 10:21 pm
Updated: 15th November 2018, 10:36 pm

Don’t even get me started!
It’s unjustifiable!

Every so often I remember this story from 4 years ago. I really don’t think the men in suits at the FA sit around fretting about there being too much money in the game and thinking of ways to get rid of it all.

THANKS A MIL

Richard Scudamore: Departing Premier League chief to accept £5m ‘golden handshake’, sparking fury​

All 20 clubs were asked to contribute to a whip-round for the outgoing chief, whose salary is around £900,000, with the money being paid over three years, while he will also be retained in a consultancy advisory role
By Damian Mannion
15th November 2018, 10:21 pm
Updated: 15th November 2018, 10:36 pm

Scudamore earned the clubs absolute fortunes by his savvy marketing. He was probably under compensated based on the money he brought in during his time

I just don't see how we could ever hope to compete at the top anymore.

We used to be a sleeping giant. I don't think we're even that anymore.

Yeah we could have a freak season or two where we make the top 4 but we will never be able to sustain it.

It's not a sport anymore really is it.

Competing in the Championship is not a bad place to be. I hated the perennial struggle in the premiers did it’s the same for most clubs

Only the fans will decide. They are lapping it up. Record crowds everywhere. The world is a different place to when I watched Herd and Mullhall at Roker.

Back