When will football decide enough is enough?

Salah will earn £52m over 3 years (and he's not anywhere near the highest paid players) and whilst I don't begrudge him receiving it (as Liverpool are willing to pay it), a surgeon who performs life saving surgery on children, us and who knows maybe Salah one day won't even earn 1% of that over 3 years.

Surely the football hierarchy needs to set caps on spending across Europe same for every club?

In a few years we are going to get players being paid £1m per week (it can't be sustainable surely????) and at which point I can honestly see fans being turned off.
Its society decides.

If enough people were really bothered about what Dr's get paid, it would change

If enough people were really bothered about what footballers get paid, it would change

The PL is corrupt and exists for the benefit of only a percentage of its clubs, fans know this but if Sunderland get promoted next season many of the people who complain about it will give the PL their money all the same

Last edited:
Market forces dictate what clubs and players can get away with, only the fans can change things by voting with their feet or not watching Sky.

A Ferrari car salesman earns more than a Ford dealership salesman.

I wonder why???

Maybe the amount of money he generates for the business is greater.
The profit per vehicle may well be a lot more for a Ferrari than a Ford. So the Ferrari salesman doesn't have to sell as many cars as the Ford fella to generate more money for the business.

I`m not sure if its my age, the astronomical wages, our crapness or a combination of everything but my interest has definately waned over the last 5 - 10 years. Its not the same game, I grew up watching and whilst we might get better players / more skills etc, I dont like it as much

Should only footballers not be allowed to earn more than a surgeon or is it any trade?

If it's the former, then it's a bit of a weird restriction. If it's the latter then good luck implenting that, as although you'll find a lot of people will generally agree in principle, I don't think the UK is going to have a nation wide salary cap any time soon.

I think what will honestly happen is that womens football will become more widely watched than the mens game. And when this happens the money will be sucked from the EPL to the WSL. By 2030 women will earn more than men, and their matches watched by more supporters in stadium and on television than the mens game. World cups and euros too. People will have had enough.

There is no doubt that the women’s game will grow enormously but I think the demographic it attracts will be very different. Obviously more female and younger.
What you can’t do is replace/discount up to 150 years as a community institution- SAFC don’t have the fan base because of its on field achievements, it’s because of family/community legacy. That doesn’t just stop.
It still underpins the elite of Liverpool and Man City’s even if you strip back all the razzmatazz

If fans don’t like it the solution is easy. Cancel sky/bt and don’t use any of the companies who sponsor. Would require an international effort to make a difference like.

Good luck to him mind. Earn it while you can. If somebody pays you well then accept it.
If fans don’t like it the solution is easy. Cancel sky/bt and don’t use any of the companies who sponsor. Would require an international effort to make a difference like.

Clearly people like it, because the interest is there. But they like to moan because they're jealous of fellow working class people doing well for themselves.

Salah will earn £52m over 3 years (and he's not anywhere near the highest paid players) and whilst I don't begrudge him receiving it (as Liverpool are willing to pay it), a surgeon who performs life saving surgery on children, us and who knows maybe Salah one day won't even earn 1% of that over 3 years.

Surely the football hierarchy needs to set caps on spending across Europe same for every club?

In a few years we are going to get players being paid £1m per week (it can't be sustainable surely????) and at which point I can honestly see fans being turned off.
Soon....sooner than you think actually.

Good luck to him mind. Earn it while you can. If somebody pays you well then accept it.

Clearly people like it, because the interest is there. But they like to moan because they're jealous of fellow working class people doing well for themselves.
Who’s jealous?

Back