When will football decide enough is enough?

A cap of £10k a week should have been set years ago. Too late for any cap now. The reason clubs get into financial difficulties is because the lions share of their turnover goes on players wages
put in a cap of £10k a week and the whokle of the UK suffers from lower tax revenue while the footballers benfit from gwtting millios extra under the table and not paying tax on it
People don’t want to pay extra tax for doctors and nurses, yet they are quite happy to be ripped off by Sky and BT.
whne they pay for sky and BT they are funding nurses and docfors..as their is VAT on TV packages..

Unless said club can’t afford it does anyone really give a shit what they earn. if your mate said while you were having a pre match pint I’m jacking it in because they earn far more than a surgeon… well put it this way I’d expect that to be an infinitesimally rare occurrence

tall poppy syndrome
noun
INFORMAL•AUSTRALIAN
a perceived tendency to discredit or disparage those who have achieved notable wealth or prominence in public life.

When it comes to Footballers or others who have struck it rich, right above^

Last edited:
Salah will earn £52m over 3 years (and he's not anywhere near the highest paid players) and whilst I don't begrudge him receiving it (as Liverpool are willing to pay it), a surgeon who performs life saving surgery on children, us and who knows maybe Salah one day won't even earn 1% of that over 3 years.

Surely the football hierarchy needs to set caps on spending across Europe same for every club?

In a few years we are going to get players being paid £1m per week (it can't be sustainable surely????) and at which point I can honestly see fans being turned off.
Very cheap. Earns the club that in shirt sales easily for his spell.

17 million a year for the top goal scorer that earns your your club a million pound a point in the champions league absolute bargain.

No wonder he wanted to move and get a better contract seems cheap.

Unless the fans switch off and stop funding it then it will continue to rise. I remember when Man Utd broke their wage structure to pay Roy Keane £40k a week. I thought then it wasn't sustainable but here we are.

I think what will honestly happen is that womens football will become more widely watched than the mens game. And when this happens the money will be sucked from the EPL to the WSL. By 2030 women will earn more than men, and their matches watched by more supporters in stadium and on television than the mens game. World cups and euros too. People will have had enough.

Messi's 2017 contract at Barca was a 4 year deal with a total payment of €555m, which calculates roughly to £2M per week
:eek:
Doesn’t Mbappe already get 1 million a week?
Didn't know that, ridiculous.
I think what will honestly happen is that womens football will become more widely watched than the mens game. And when this happens the money will be sucked from the EPL to the WSL. By 2030 women will earn more than men, and their matches watched by more supporters in stadium and on television than the mens game. World cups and euros too. People will have had enough.
Rubbish, will never happen.

Last edited:
Salah will earn £52m over 3 years (and he's not anywhere near the highest paid players) and whilst I don't begrudge him receiving it (as Liverpool are willing to pay it), a surgeon who performs life saving surgery on children, us and who knows maybe Salah one day won't even earn 1% of that over 3 years.

Surely the football hierarchy needs to set caps on spending across Europe same for every club?

In a few years we are going to get players being paid £1m per week (it can't be sustainable surely????) and at which point I can honestly see fans being turned off.
The wages etc are crazy but there are many people(including myself) who see going to football as a massive part of their life and would pay whatever until it actually wasn’t physically possible to afford it. Is tyson fury worth paying 500 million for a fight? Probably not but it’s supply and demand I guess

I was brought up on football in the seventies. I gather before that the players would go to training on the same bus as the fans going to their work in the morning, and weren't on that much more money.

It's obscene what the top players are on these days, some people have been saying for years that the bubble will burst one day and the money will drain out of football, but it's never looked anywhere near that.

Maybe it's an age thing, but i only get a small percentage of enjoyment out of football as what i used to, far too much money involved for me is the main reason for that.
This!

Though there is an argument that the top earners do deserve the money given that's why the Premier League product is now a global thing worth billions. However the fact Rodwell earning £2m a season at SAFC, yet a bloke working a 50 year lifetime earning £25,000 a year grafting his arse off would still earn less than what Rodwell got in just 1 season is what made me 'love' football a lot less. This also goes for the likes of Graham etc and other plodders, not just SAFC players who offer very little but go round various clubs earning millions. Yet it's clear at times they aren't exactly busting a gut and not putting in 100% and I f***ing detest the term "switch off" that's commonly used.

Verstappen and Hamilton race around a track as high speeds and if either switches off like footballers do then they will crash numerous times a race. The same goes for boxers because if they switch off as often as a footballer then they'd soon be knocked out. A brain surgeon can't have a brain fart halfway through an 8 hour operation yet a footballer can "switch off" at a corner that he's had 15-30 or more seconds to think about what he should be doing prior to it being taken. Aye shite like that happens a lower league level but top level should be different.

At the end of the day, it's not hard to think what to do in football if you're disciplined enough. Players should be thinking should I be marking the man beside me instead of just ball watching and ignoring them? Or think, should I make a move of a few yards to make the pass easier? It's all about discipline, passion and commitment etc and being aware of your surroundings. Like my example, there's ample time prior to a corner for defenders to pick up attackers yet players don't do it or many other examples of laziness yet they get paid plenty enough to do it.

It won't

I agree but the PL is owned by the 20 clubs. Any anti stockpiling rules would need voting in by 14 of em iirc. The bigger of those 14 also stockpile to a smaller degree to keep themselves above the championship barbarians at the promotion/relegation gates.
It’d need a govt regulator to step in and that’d set up a lot of big boy whataboutery concerning Real, Barca, Juve, Bayern, Inter, AC etc etc. I’d imagine a U.K. govt wadnt want to set in motion a series of events that brings about a weakening of the PLs position as the worlds biggest league.

I’d rather footballs millions stayed in the game than went to these club owning bastards and agents to improve stadiums, stadium facilities, academies, club interaction with communities, back stage workers wages and conditions etc. But if it has to leave the game then the talent should be the ones getting it.
Football is now viewed as a nivver source of wealth by the super rich. Oil Wells, coal/diamond/gold mines eventually run dry. The football is officially going on forever. Expect more Middle East oil reliant countries, exiled Russian oligarchs and US tycoon types to get involved. PL & CL or SL PPV on channels owned by the competitions themselves are the endgame. The football us officially going on forever.

Life seemed to be a lot simpler in the olden days.

He will bring joy to millions of people worldwide

This is probably the worst post you’ve made

I’ve always hated this argument about player wages. Honestly if you feel so passionate that a surgeon or nurse or whoever deserves more then get into politics and campaign for it, open a business and pay huge salaries. Otherwise bore off….

Exactly, the days of deciding at the last minute to go to the match are over and never coming back

i miss them, like going to away game, every now and then, without all these members points required to attend

all gone. Glad I was around late 70s through the 80s period and get to games
I'm not sure what's stopping anybody (with a smartphone) from going to home games "at the last minute."

Are you saying that you don't have a smartphone, with which to buy a last minute ticket?
Nothing stopping the surgeon or any of us becoming a professional footballer.
Or us or the professional footballer from becoming a surgeon?🤔😂
but its not just short sales..its on pitch performance generating prize money income
Best not to get dort on ya new short! 😉

Last edited:
I’ve always hated this argument about player wages. Honestly if you feel so passionate that a surgeon or nurse or whoever deserves more then get into politics and campaign for it, open a business and pay huge salaries. Otherwise bore off….
OK thanks!

You could have just ignored the thread, but well done you, you really told me !

Last edited:
Just another example of why I have less interest in football at 50 years old than I ever had.

As a kid it was football morning, noon and night.

But now ridiculous prices to get into grounds, and when in grounds cheap shitty food and drink charged at top prices.

At the top level clubs get fortunes from sky deals etc, but give fuck all back to loyal fans, just keep taking them piss out of them.

As a kid always had a football strip, would not dream of having one now due to prices.

Worst thing of all is clubs not only now charge a fortune for current strip and change it every year, they now bring out old ones and get gullible fans to pay for them as well by branding them retro whatever fuck that means!

Everything is designed to fleece the loyal supporter as much as possible.

Last edited:

Back