When we got promoted in 1990

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were completely outplayed - failed to score again

But it was weird coming out of Wembley as Swindon were hardly celebrating - it was as if they new their fate

If I remember correctly they were originally due to get demoted to the 3rd division but on appeal just went back into the 2nd. Tranmere would have gone up from 3rd to 2nd division in their place.

Was working in Hampton Middlesex on the day of the decision.

Got off the train at Fulwell station one stop before as i fancied a tab.

Two black cats crossed the path right in front of me at the same time.

Told when i got home what had happened. Not superstitious. Odd coincidence.

Bob murrays reaction to this slice of luck. 350 on davenport. 350 on Bally. Another ch and we would have stayed up.

Muppet.

We played a half fit Colin Pascoe on the left if I remember correctly and we got tortured down that side.Only Bob bean counter Murray would have looked that gift horse in the mouth.We spent about half a mil on Ball and Davenport and expected to stay in the division with the Prem and a its millions on the horizon.

We played a half fit Colin Pascoe on the left if I remember correctly and we got tortured down that side.Only Bob bean counter Murray would have looked that gift horse in the mouth.We spent about half a mil on Ball and Davenport and expected to stay in the division with the Prem and a its millions on the horizon.

Not forgetting buying Bryan Mooney midway through the season when we were crying out for a decent central defender

We could reminisce about the regrets, and justifiable they would be, but we had a hell of a ride that season. Some of our away games were those 'had to be there' days. Pulverising Spurs yet somehow drawing 3-3 sticks in my mind.

Remember being 3-0 up away at Derby only to draw 3-3, weirdly one of my favourite seasons following Sunderland

Same for me as well, maybe because I only started going to games on a regular basis from 1986 onwards (with my paper round money!) and this was my first season watching us in the top division

It was a Thursday evening when it was announced i was working in Scotland and the son of my landlady came up and told me to put BBC2 on,they were live outside Roker Park and when it was official i went fkn mental,got changed went out and got fkn ratted.

Same for me as well, maybe because I only started going to games on a regular basis from 1986 onwards (with my paper round money!) and this was my first season watching us in the top division

I was at that one,we could have lost in the end,did Dean Saunders get a hat trick in that one?

I was at the final and Swindon were a cracking team, we played shite (again).
It was great at school when it was announced, all the mags were gutted as they finished above us :lol:

The Geordies thought they should have got the nod for finishing third. Made for a very entertaining Look North that night. Coming on top of the 2-0 semi-final win at their place. We were poor in the final though, well outplayed.

We were completely outplayed - failed to score again

But it was weird coming out of Wembley as Swindon were hardly celebrating - it was as if they new their fate

Good call that. Remember loads of people on our coaching shouting 'cheer up man you won'.

There was a Sunderland lad in tears outside the turnstiles, he got pelters off our lot.

living in Swindon, whenever I tell people I'm a Sunderland fan all I hear is 'oh play-offs 90 we destroyed you that day'

I reply simply with 'who went up?' :cool:

Is it my imagination or did they get more tickets than us? Seemed that way on the day, we were mostly daft lads who had saved up the vouchers and queued round the car park, they had every man, woman and child from Wiltshire.

We went to wembley stadium on the 28th of may
Heading for promotion swindon town to play
We didnt win no trophy we didnt win no cup
But what really riles the geordies is we lost n still went up

It started 12 days previously at st james park
We were soaking we were freezing but wasnt it a lark
The geordies made some noise that night they made an awful din
But you should have heard the leezes in when marcos goal went in

They came on from the gallowgate the milburn stand the same
Dancing around like arseholes to try n stop the game
They got stopped at the halfway line by all the boys in blue
We had just one complaint that night they should have let them through

The mackems finished under us the play off are all wrong
We were 6 points ahead of them the geordies moaned along
The tears flowed into the broon oh how the geordies cried

I'll never forget that magic night newcastle fcuking died

Seen it on loads of tshirts in our season in the top flight the year after
Never knew it was in wsc
Love hat song

Greatest line in a song ever. :-D

Think I'll get that on a T-shirt like. That and "I went to Wembley in '85, '90, '92 and '98. The first 3 times we didn't score a goal. The 4th we scored 10 and still lost." :lol:

Thought it was in Sex n Chocolate?

We went to wembley stadium on the 28th of may
Heading for promotion swindon town to play
We didnt win no trophy we didnt win no cup
But what really riles the geordies is we lost n still went up

It started 12 days previously at st james park
We were soaking we were freezing but wasnt it a lark
The geordies made some noise that night they made an awful din
But you should have heard the leezes in when marcos goal went in

They came on from the gallowgate the milburn stand the same
Dancing around like arseholes to try n stop the game
They got stopped at the halfway line by all the boys in blue
We had just one complaint that night they should have let them through

The mackems finished under us the play off are all wrong
We were 6 points ahead of them the geordies moaned along
The tears flowed into the broon oh how the geordies cried

I'll never forget that magic night newcastle fcuking died

Seen it on loads of tshirts in our season in the top flight the year after
Never knew it was in wsc
Love hat song

cracking that like

IIRC the Rolling Stones played at St James Park later on in the summer and Look North did some vox pops outside. They collared one bloke and asked him if he'd had a good night; he replied yes, nearly as good a night as when Marco beat them in the play offs

It must have been a Saturday it was announced, because big Des Lynam telted me by words of breaking news on BBC sport. Me & me mates were on the local climbing frame making bellends of ourselves within minutes :) Fantastic day, at the time as a 15 year old, it was probably the best day of my life.

Is it my imagination or did they get more tickets than us? Seemed that way on the day, we were mostly daft lads who had saved up the vouchers and queued round the car park, they had every man, woman and child from Wiltshire.

No, it was about an even split, but we had a canny few in their end apparently. I think your view might have come because they all (women, family types etc) turned up at Wembley really early to make the most of the day , when our lot were still in the boozers ;)

iirc the rolling stones played at st james park later on in the summer and look north did some vox pops outside. They collared one bloke and asked him if he'd had a good night; he replied yes, nearly as good a night as when marco beat them in the play offs

:) :)

It was a Thursday evening when it was announced i was working in Scotland and the son of my landlady came up and told me to put BBC2 on,they were live outside Roker Park and when it was official i went fkn mental,got changed went out and got fkn ratted.

Des Lynam definetly spelt it out, was thinking he could only be on TV on Saturday but thinking back it could have been after one of those world cup preview shows, definetly late afternoon'ish.

Des Lynham told me at half time during one of the Italia 90 games

yep, i was in the pub (in deepest, darkest dorset) and gave a massive "Gerrrrrin" before he managed to get the whole statement out...

it went something like.... "and sunderland have.... (massive Gerrrrrrin from me) been promoted to Division 1....

The Geordies thought they should have got the nod for finishing third. Made for a very entertaining Look North that night. Coming on top of the 2-0 semi-final win at their place. We were poor in the final though, well outplayed.

Good call that. Remember loads of people on our coaching shouting 'cheer up man you won'.

There was a Sunderland lad in tears outside the turnstiles, he got pelters off our lot.

That may well of been me, I was 15 and rat-arsed, they served us at the Tesco's at the bottom of Great Central Way, Strongbow 1080, about 12 bottles of it. I could barely find the coach after the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back