When we got promoted in 1990

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely rumours before the game as there was a banner on our coach at Wembley that read "Lou Taxman Macari, Swindon down to div 4" which was waved at any Swindon fan that passed the bus.

seem to recall it wasn't a massive suprise that we went go up. I was only a bairn like but as I thought if was fairly well known we would be going up

has anyone got the poem which was printed in the next issue of WMS after we went up

I haven't but it was posted on here a few days ago...

Remember when the news broke, was parking my car with radio on and switched engine off just as they started talking about it so missed who actually got promoted by the time I put it back on.

Ran in the house and asked wife who knew nothing about it, no internet then so couldn't find out for ages.

Was 9 and I can remember them discussing it during a WC match build up. Hill and Lynam IIRC. Not recall which game but remember running round me mates in me full kit to tell him :lol:

My recollection too. Before one of the Italia 90 midweek afternoon games, and Des Lynam pipes up with 'the Football League have just announced that Sunderland will be promoted to Div 1 to replace Swindon.' - quality!

A promotion gifted to us - and a moment that showed Murray and his most parochial and unambitious, his quote of the day "our ambition now is to become the Number 1 club in the North East" (Mags and Boro were both Division 2 at the time he said it":roll:

It was announced during the 1990 World Cup. I was in a pub in Kingston upon Thames and watching some game or other. At half time the panel were asked their views and I remember Jimmy Hill saying that it was a disgraceful decision.

I was phoned at work by a mate at around lunchtime and told we were promoted. A few of us met in the Freemasons to watch the WC game and celebrate.

Mid June rings a bell for me when it was announced.
No net back then, no news channels.
I heard it on the radio and phoned a mate who had teletext and asked him to confirm

Italia 90 and elton welsby announced our promotion at half time in an england game IIRC...only 10 at the time, but jumping around in my bedroom :lol:

All started when, under Lou Macari's management, it was found that he'd bet on his side to lose at Newcastle in an FA Cup tie, which they duly lost 5-0. He claimed it was to cover travelling costs for the weekend, although FA rules stipulate that is always covered by the home team.

The Sunday People reporter Bill Bradshaw, ironically a Sunderland supporter, investigated this and other irregularities, and found things such as Phil Cornwell's wedding and reception being paid by a supporters club donation, as well as other illegal payments relating to tax and national insurance. This had gone on since their 4th Division days.

The Football League had obviously hoped that Swindon wouldn't win the play-offs as they had fudged the issue as it was ongoing. The club duly won the play-offs whilst also admitting guilt to a number of irregular and illegal payments - and asked for another 155 to be taken into consideration.

The Football League decided that the only team that had been directly cost a place in the First Division by Swindon's off-the-field cheating was Sunderland.

Newcastle and Blackburn, who had finished above Sunderland, lost in the play-off semi-finals. The team in seventh place would still have had the play-offs to negotiate.

Sheffield Wednesday felt they should have stayed up, having finished 3rd bottom of the First Division. The rules were clear though. Three down from the First Division.

That left Sunderland as the only choice to replace Swindon in the top flight.

I thought Swindon were lucky not to have been drummed out of the Football League altogether. Lou Macari summed it up when he heard the verdict. "I'm shocked but I'm not surprised."

(By the way, this is all from memory. Feel free to google and correct me where it's my memory playing tricks on me).

has anyone got the poem which was printed in the next issue of WMS after we went up

Cannot remember the whole thing but it went something like this

we went to wembley stadium on 31st may
heading for the play offs swindon town to play
we didnt win no trophy
we didnt win no cup
what really riles the mags up
we lost and still went up

it started 12 days earlier at st james park
we were freezing
we were soaking but wasnt it a lark

cannot remember the rest

Cannot remember the whole thing but it went something like this