When did the FA Cup lose its glamour

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a brilliant game. Best Cup Final I can remember. Probably helped by the early goal, but whatever the reason it was still a great match.

I wondered why Arsenal had struggled all season because to a man they were brilliant. Most Cup Finals are really cautious affairs, not this one

Most annoying thing about it now is that it's almost always won by one of the big boys....far more than it ever was back in the day. There used to be a genuine feeling that any one of about 30 clubs might win it. Arsenal had only won it 6 times in their history pre-Wenger but have won it 7 times since!!!!!

It's just a consolation prize to them though - at the end of the day this will be seen as a disappointing season for them because they missed out on the Champions league.

I think this is the the thing that bugs me most about it now....supporters of clubs like SAFC would give their right arm to win it but your liverpools,arsenals,chelseas,united it's nothing.

They should scrap the 4th place in prem getting the final champions league spot and give it to the cup winners instead. Would instantly restore the competition to something worth winning in the eyes of the big boys. Plus the added interest that you might get if say a Championship team won it a la 1973 and ended up getting a crack at the champions league (plus the cash windfall that would bring)

Where to start...?

Semi-Finals played at Wembley
5.30pm kick-offs
The (Champions) League??
Getting rid of the Cup Winners Cup

Most annoying thing about it now is that it's almost always won by one of the big boys....far more than it ever was back in the day. There used to be a genuine feeling that any one of about 30 clubs might win it. Arsenal had only won it 6 times in their history pre-Wenger but have won it 7 times since!!!!!

It's just a consolation prize to them though - at the end of the day this will be seen as a disappointing season for them because they missed out on the Champions league.

I think this is the the thing that bugs me most about it now....supporters of clubs like SAFC would give their right arm to win it but your liverpools,arsenals,chelseas,united it's nothing.

They should scrap the 4th place in prem getting the final champions league spot and give it to the cup winners instead. Would instantly restore the competition to something worth winning in the eyes of the big boys. Plus the added interest that you might get if say a Championship team won it a la 1973 and ended up getting a crack at the champions league (plus the cash windfall that would bring)

They should scrap the Champions League!!

Forgive my ignorance, but if you finish 4th in the league you are not a f***ing champion:evil:

Back in the day you were lucky to grab a place in the UEFA Cup if you finished 4th :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I used to love Cup Final day and all the build up from early morning throughout the day with competitions, team interviews, meet the players and even Its a Knockout for the rival fans, but that has long gone now. It's not about the fans anymore, it's a media circus with Sky the ringmaster.

This. I used to enjoy the cameras following the teams down other coach and into the hotel's and Wembley.

This and saturation coverage of live football on TV

Final used to be one of only a handful of live games shown

This for me. Nowadays there's so many games on, even without really trying you'll see arsenal and Chelsea tens of times a season. That makes it a bit less interesting when they meet in the final. Plus the league and champions league have become the absolute holy grails, I reckon arsenal (the club if not the fans) would have swapped yesterday for 4th place. Hard to stay really interested when even the club's don't prioritise it

When everything else became cash incentivised and the FA cup didnt. A prem club can earn more loaning out a shitty reserve player than winning the cup. So whats the point? Yes its an achievement and granted Id love a cup at newcastle but in reality it did fuck all for Wigan or Birmingham etc.

This for me. Nowadays there's so many games on, even without really trying you'll see arsenal and Chelsea tens of times a season. That makes it a bit less interesting when they meet in the final. Plus the league and champions league have become the absolute holy grails, I reckon arsenal (the club if not the fans) would have swapped yesterday for 4th place. Hard to stay really interested when even the club's don't prioritise it

I thought that before yesterday but seeing the excitement and joy on the fans faces must surely be better than coming 4th and entering a competition they have no chance of winning.

Your conclusion is at odds with the rest of the post. If the usual suspects keep winning it without the incentive of a Champs League theres no way somebody like Wigan could even produce the odd shock if only 3 places were given to the Premier League. All of the top 6 would be looking for an easy insurance needing only 6 games to grab the Champs League place & playing full strength sides every round committed to win.

Who gives a fuck what Sky think like?
The whole money world of football unfortunately. Sky funds the obscene wages, and dictates a lot of what goes on in the premiership. (especially through pundits trawling Sky's ideas) Sky was the downfall of the whole football world for the average club supporter in my view

This. The OP will be younger than the Premier League I'm sure.

I wish

W

wonderful idea

When even the smaller sides stopped playing their first team players in games to give them a rest and they started f***ing around with fixtures

Semis yo be moved back to two different grounds, final to be 3pm kickoff with the build up starting at breakfast and a champions league place (so 4th no longer qualifies) up for grabs and it could be saved. Might as well scrap it otherwise

Fourth item down on sky sports main page

From the best domestic cup competition in the world to meh.. I can remember being a kid and the streets were empty no matter who was playing. Everything stopped
The build up right through to the final whistle,
All the great finals and of course the best of them all. It used to mean the world to all football fans but now it's been so degraded that players are being sent off for diving. What a disgrace and embarrassment to this great old trophy
I'm sad.....

Apologies.... just seen similar thread

It lost its glamour fir me in 1974

When everything else became cash incentivised and the FA cup didnt. A prem club can earn more loaning out a shitty reserve player than winning the cup. So whats the point? Yes its an achievement and granted Id love a cup at newcastle but in reality it did fuck all for Wigan or Birmingham etc.

It gave Wigan and Birmingham fans the greatest (football) day in their lives so in that respect it did more than 'fuck all'.

I'd swap the past decade that Wigan and Portsmouth have had for ours in a heartbeat, just for that one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back