When did the FA Cup lose its glamour

Status
Not open for further replies.

sessions

Striker
Fourth item down on sky sports main page

From the best domestic cup competition in the world to meh.. I can remember being a kid and the streets were empty no matter who was playing. Everything stopped
The build up right through to the final whistle,
All the great finals and of course the best of them all. It used to mean the world to all football fans but now it's been so degraded that players are being sent off for diving. What a disgrace and embarrassment to this great old trophy
I'm sad.....

Apologies.... just seen similar thread

Last edited:

From the best domestic cup competition in the world to meh.. I can remember being a kid and the streets were empty no matter who was playing. Everything stopped
All the great finals and of course the best of them all. It used to mean the world to all football fans but now it's been so degraded that players are being sent off for diving. What a disgrace and embarrassment to this great old trophy
I'm sad.....

I agree. I used to love Cup Final day and all the build up from early morning throughout the day with competitions, team interviews, meet the players and even Its a Knockout for the rival fans, but that has long gone now. It's not about the fans anymore, it's a media circus with Sky the ringmaster.

I'm sad.....

When Man Utd decided not to play in it opting for the world club championship

For me, the beginning of its decline was when the FA scrapped any replays after the first one and introduced penalty shoot outs to decide ties.

Then, of course, we had the debacle with Man Utd being allowed to give it a miss' and the growing financial importance of the Champions League meaning managers just use squad players in cup games

I'm sad.....

The sweet FA cup...looked up the result due to gambling on it, otherwise a non event

I watched it. good game like. but when I was a bairn watched it from 9 in the morning. players at there hotel what they had for breakfast then following the bus to the ground etc. loved the day. but now yeah as you say a bit meh.

Yesterday was the best in years. The BBC had a day long build up and the game itself was excellent.
The backstory to Arsenal winning it against Chelsea made it a bit more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back