When Dennis Tueart wanted a move away

Shepherd ?

Do you not mean the pirate ?
No Freddy senior the scrap merchant wasnt on the board, offered to buy him a house
Bloody hell we are even finding negative spin on here against legends of 50 years ago... sack SD it’s his fault. ;)

Seriously as an example to understand the times and how it impacted on footballers it’s an interesting story.
Tueart dug his heels in to leave, and went on to play for city and England. Billy Hughes stayed put. Hughes ended up with a testimonial where no one turned up and he was left in tears at making nothing from the game. The lads who stayed loyal were paid peanuts ... but even then Tueart was playing first team football for 6-7 years before he left to better himself, he was hardly mercenary.
We offered him £120 a week, City offered £160 a week
I was only a youngen, but was told he basically went on strike on the pitch at Bristol City away, wouldn't run. tackle, didn't want the ball and just went through the motions. He was sold fairly soon after.
I'd sure some even older farts than me can confirm
Not reet

Last edited:
No Freddy senior the scrap merchant wasnt on the board, offered to buy him a house

We offered him £120 a week, City offered £160 a week

Not reet
I seem to remember us trying to sell him to cardiff before the cup run had started for 10,000 pound.

The only time I have ever watched a player visibly not giving a shit on the pitch was actually Billy Hughes - when he was playing for Leicester. I forget who they were playing but it was the old first div. Hughes was moaning and complaining to his teammates every time he was expected to run - wanted the ball played right to his feet & wasn't prepared to break into more than a jog. Don't know what was behind it all.
The other thing I remember from that game was being really impressed by Steve Whitworth - I remember thinking wouldn't it be great if we could get a player like that at Sunderland. Then we did but I never saw him play again like he did that day for Leicester :-(

The only time I have ever watched a player visibly not giving a shit on the pitch was actually Billy Hughes - when he was playing for Leicester. I forget who they were playing but it was the old first div. Hughes was moaning and complaining to his teammates every time he was expected to run - wanted the ball played right to his feet & wasn't prepared to break into more than a jog. Don't know what was behind it all.
The other thing I remember from that game was being really impressed by Steve Whitworth - I remember thinking wouldn't it be great if we could get a player like that at Sunderland. Then we did but I never saw him play again like he did that day for Leicester :-(
I leicester had our pants down there and when we wanted frank worthington and ended up with bob lee.By the time frank arrived amazon had delivered his zimmer frame

It was after the Bristol game, Stokoe publicly bollocked him.
He asked for a transfer, club offered him more money even Roseberry offered him cash to stay, Shepherd came in for him even to sign for the mags
It was after the Bristol game, Stokoe publicly bollocked him.
He asked for a transfer, club offered him more money even Roseberry offered him cash to stay, Shepherd came in for him even to sign for the mags

correct it was not the Bristol game, it was a game down south though i kind of remember what happened and it was quite disbelieving at the time but it happened 100%

Last edited:
I remember feeling so let down when he left, only about seven or eight but him and Billy Hughes were my first favourite SAFC players.
Can't remember at the time but remember hearing later that he made it clear he wanted to move on?

Not sure if that helps you mate, just reminiscing about how SAFC teaches you disappointment early in life.

;) :(

He, says in his book that the board and Stokoe could have done more to keep him iirc.
I didn't really enjoy his book sadly, came across as very self centred but certainly knew his worth and didn't suffer fools gladly.
Got beat 2-0 was in October, he went to see Stokoe in November and asked for a transfer

Was a Wetherby hotel
Had to be the Turnpike

Last edited:
He, says in his book that the board and Stokoe could have done more to keep him iirc.
I didn't really enjoy his book sadly, came across as very self centred but certainly knew his worth and didn't suffer fools gladly.

Had to be the Turnpike
He just says a Wetherby hotel in his buke

favourite ever player.The club did not show enough ambition after the cup final.
I think the only signing of note was Rod Belfitt who was a knackered Leeds reject not as good as anything we had.
He was international class and he was being held back both professionally by the club and financially by the circumstances of the time ( law on max wage and increases to keep lid on inflation).
Remembering these were times of 3 day weeks and going home on a night time to sit in candle light and play board games.
The book says he was subdued, but you can’t compare players of that time with today. They lived in the same semis as everyone else and had a career of selling insurance, working as a brewery rep or running a pub to look forward to.
Don’t judge them by today’s standards. Players in those days were incredibly loyal and Tueart would have beenplaying first team football about 6-7 years by then, and been on coppers.
:lol: Well we couldn't exactly ask to be in the top division could we?!

Back