When Dennis Tueart wanted a move away

Here you are, typed out by hand as I couldn't suss out how to copy and paste from Google - just call it a pint ;)

This was Sunderland's eighth Cup match of the season but now there was just one knockout competition left - the FA Cup. Stokoe had unquestionably caught up with Cup fever once again. The Second Division table was suddenly a sobering sight after the European campaign and the League Cup run had both been abruptly ended.

Between crashing out of both of these competitions that autumn Sunderland had been dealt another blow in some ways a mightier one: Tueart had asked to be put on the transfer list. After scoring a hat trick in a 4-1 win over Swindon Town and netting again in a 3-0 win over Bolton Wanderers - the first back to back wins in the league for the club that season - the player had been subdued in the 2-0 defeat at Ashton Gate against Bristol City and made his decision later that evening. He handed in a written transfer request shortly afterwards.

This was a few days before Sunderland played Liverpool. A shocked Stokoe announced that Tueaart could leave the club the day before the match. 'He wants First Divsion football and is not prepared to scrap it out with us' he said. 'I am very disappointed with him." Tueart responded by saying 'I am not playing top-class football and I am ambitious. If there was the guarantee that First Division would come at the end of the season that would be fair enough but I am fed up with ifs buts and whens.'

Here's the game and it would seem likely based on @englishman abroad account its the right one

thanks Rob, pint it is )))

Here you are, typed out by hand as I couldn't suss out how to copy and paste from Google - just call it a pint ;)

This was Sunderland's eighth Cup match of the season but now there was just one knockout competition left - the FA Cup. Stokoe had unquestionably caught up with Cup fever once again. The Second Division table was suddenly a sobering sight after the European campaign and the League Cup run had both been abruptly ended.

Between crashing out of both of these competitions that autumn Sunderland had been dealt another blow in some ways a mightier one: Tueart had asked to be put on the transfer list. After scoring a hat trick in a 4-1 win over Swindon Town and netting again in a 3-0 win over Bolton Wanderers - the first back to back wins in the league for the club that season - the player had been subdued in the 2-0 defeat at Ashton Gate against Bristol City and made his decision later that evening. He handed in a written transfer request shortly afterwards.

This was a few days before Sunderland played Liverpool. A shocked Stokoe announced that Tueaart could leave the club the day before the match. 'He wants First Divsion football and is not prepared to scrap it out with us' he said. 'I am very disappointed with him." Tueart responded by saying 'I am not playing top-class football and I am ambitious. If there was the guarantee that First Division would come at the end of the season that would be fair enough but I am fed up with ifs buts and whens.'

Here's the game and it would seem likely based on @englishman abroad account its the right one

thanks Rob, pint it is )))

The season after wembley we got bogged down in cup games. Stokoe astonishly put a complete reserve team out Hull prioritising a cup winners cup game. Even so we came close to going up

i dont think it was, i was at the game i remember the incident clearly but i cant remember who it was against, i don't remember going to Bristol City in those days, i think it was a London game

Maybe the Bristol game was when it came to a head and as @Vauxie says, it was in his book, but he didnt leave till 2-3 months later so maybe sulked in more games than that. If you saw the game you were after in London, it was probably Orient as we played and lost 2-1 there in January

We had also played and lost at Millwall in that gap, but Tueart hadn't been picked. That was the only London fixtures in that time frame.

Maybe the Bristol game was when it came to a head and as @Vauxie says, it was in his book, but he didnt leave till 2-3 months later so maybe sulked in more games than that. If you saw the game you were after in London, it was probably Orient as we played and lost 2-1 there in January

We had also played and lost at Millwall in that gap, but Tueart hadn't been picked. That was the only London fixtures in that time frame.
Was at Orient mesel,miserable day and game

Met him at the safc business club night before the play off final last season. Only about 8 members turned up as most of the regulars had probably gone down for Trafalgar square experience , no one from Safc were there apart from a couple of barmen which was unusual.
Had the directors lounge all to ourselves and Dennis was great company and spoke warmly of his time at Sunderland.
You could tell that he is a very driven guy both on and off the field so it's no wonder he left us.
And the directors lounge has its own private bar so was free drinks all night........still can't believe we had the whole of the stadium to ourselves that night.

You cannot blame Denis for wanting away. He knew he could play in Div 1. All of us knew. The wage limitations played a massive part. This is the story of the 4th March 1974. Stokoe gets Denis and Horswill in the car. Horswill was a puppet no more - not the brightest. He got his bluff called and he was gone. So in the car and Horswill asks "Who are we seeing?" Stokoe never said a word except something like, "You will find out soon enough." As they are going down the A1 they pass the turn off for Darlington and Stokoe says "Well it's not Darlington!" Denis was a great player and a very driven person, he knew what he wanted and could be hard to please. I always got on with him. I went to his house in Manchester one time we went to a match at Old Trafford. I don't blame him at all. How do you think we kept other players at the time? Well you applied to the FL to vary their contract to include something or other. Normally granted but after we did it once too often we received a call from Norman Thomas, the FL accountant to say he and his assistant Mike Williamson, who went on to be Director of the FL, were coming the next day to look at the books. When they came they spent days in the boardroom with all records available to them. We had lunch with them one day and Ron Linney asked Norman when was the last time he was here. The reply was 1957 - oops!

Last edited:

Back