Wheelchair Day Out

MackemBob

Striker
Any recommendations for a day out with an elderly family member in a wheelchair?

Have thought about Beamish or a roll along the prom between the twins resorts. Any other suggestions?

Any recommendations for a day out with an elderly family member in a wheelchair?

Have thought about Beamish or a roll along the prom between the twins resorts. Any other suggestions?
Our lass was in a wheelchair end of last year after a major op ,I didn’t realise how difficult access to disabled WC’s was etc until that type of thing fell at my door .
FWIW I used to take her out in her-pushchair along seaburn front

The walk between the twins is a nice one. Took me gran a few year ago and managed no probs steady away, And i`d only just come out of hospital a week before with knackered knees. Beamish is a fair drag up and down from what I remember.
Mind don`t get the 20 bus, ructions so i hear

Beamish is really hard work with a wheelchair. They can't make it fully wheelchair accessible without spoiling the authenticity of the buildings so you can't get inside a lot of them. It's also hard going pushing the chair around as many paths are uneven and the whole site is on a hill. You can't hop on a tram with a wheelchair and there's only one accessible bus. I'd honestly give it a miss!

If they're looking for history Sunderland museum is fully wheelchair accessible. The other Tyne and Wear museums are too - Hancock and Discovery in Newcastle are interesting if they'd like those.

Twin resorts are decent along the sea front and it's easy access into Roker park, although up a steep hill if you go in by Granny Annies. The pier is cobbles all the way along so I'd miss that out. My Dad felt queasy by the time we'd pushed him along there and back!

South Shields is canny along the sea front and they have a decent park too.

My only experience of pushing anyone around in a wheelchair was our lass after a foot op and she spent every second in it moaning.. If your elderly relative is owt like our lass just gan to the pub and turn yer phone off...

Take them to the match obviously. You get to see the match , they get to see the match. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Back