What's the difference between Sunderland & Newcastle?

There's isn't a strong enough political voice representing Sunderland

I think Sunderland really needs to work together with all the businesses, the football club, the university, the colleges, the council and MPs for a collective goal. A goal that's deliberately serves Sunderland's best interests. The new focus needs to be better transport links southerly out of the city centre and developing economic partnerships with the other south of the Tyne authorities. Gateshead, Durham and South Shields need to do similar strategies.

Or is it that Newcastle knows how to deliver projects whilst we are only good at excuses?

Its an amazing coincidence dont you think that all the big cities that grew out of the industrial revolution 150 years ago all know how to deliver projects, and yet all the smaller towns / new cities along with Sunderland with the likes of Preston & Wolverhampton etc dont & are full excuses :lol:

Or more likely that you're full of shite & that there is a genuine reason like a general desire towards centralisation.

I think that in terms of a conurbation, Newcastle is the capital of the Tyne and Wear area so it will always be the focal point of investment and development.
Sunderland has only been a City for a very short amount of time so maybe this has something to do with it.
The way I look at it and it’s completaly vice versa, everybody from this area should enjoy the development and benefits this brings. Tyne and Wear and the surrounding areas is a small place so all of this is accessible. Sunderland is 13 miles, a short metro ride / drive away so all of this is readily available and accessible to all.
It saddens me that people put football rivalries ahead of the greater good.
Like I say it’s a vice versa thing. If Sunderland has something on, and I believe it’s improved ten fold in recent years then likewise its there to enjoy.
Very recently I’ve been to the illuminations, tall ships, Grayson perry at winter gardens, gigs at pop recs, shopping in Aphrodite, walks along seaburn beach and the summer streets festival and they’ve all been great.
I’m not bothered if it’s newcastle, Sunderland or anywhere in the north east as along as it’s happening. Let’s all just enjoy it I say.

Really good post mate.

The trouble is Sunderland (me included) tends to look and what Newcastle has and does better than we do, instead of trying to provide unique things as an alternative. We have the coast, Empire etc but everything is disconnected and separated by shitty areas. I love the city and will spend the few pennies I have here if I can, but understand why people choose to go to the dark side.

iirc from here, most of the governing movers and shakers in Sunderland are mags or from Newcastle, so are not invested in the place. Added to that, bodies like the then TWDC (The Wear Doesn't Count) ensured Newcastle was the first with it's nose in the trough and it refuses to move over. Not sure if this is reliable info mind.

It's the biggest city between Leeds and Edinburgh and is the unofficial capital of the North East. Of course there will be some historical sentimentality towards suggesting Durham as the unofficial capital of the North East but ask 100 people outside of the region to name a city in the North East of England and I'd wager the highest answer would be Newcastle.

Put all of this together and it's no surprise it gets the strongest interest/investment. The times I've been to Sunderland city centre it's in a very poor state and not very comparable to Newcastle which leads developers to be massively averse to taking a risk in development there.
Depends who you asked educated university type would say Durham and spiced up druggies like them that wander round Westgate road would say Newcastle

the difference is geography and history. newcastle has been able to transition the quay area from port to residential/entertainment very easily as the city and quay have always had some connection and better access and the heavier industry was further up or down river, whereas there's never been the same connection between sunderland city and the river & harbour area as they were more compact and heavily industrialised.

sunderland would be a much better city if the city centre and the river & harbour area were more accessible, connected and open to commercial and entertainment opportunities i reckon. easier said than done of course.
Sunderland has a coastline which like you say, could easily be better utilized. Depford could be extended east towards the town with good quality development but I doubt it's going to be like the quayside

I disagree. When there's an ambitious project, the people of Sunderland enthuse as much any other place. What the people are negative about, is the lack of ambitious projects or the many projects that's fallen by the wayside
They've had their teeth kicked out for year over the vaux site. Because of stuff like that carryon, it should be twinned with Apathy and not Essen

Last edited:
The biggest difference is that every regeneration body for Tyne and Wear directed all investment into Newcastle.

Thankfully now that we’re in different combined authorities that will never happen again.

Pretty much every residential area in Newcastle is either a complete shithole or disproportionately overpriced.

Sunderland is doing well and will continue to do so

Eh?? Every residential area is a shithole? Explain?

Back