What's people's thoughts on oniens performance in midfield

😳 He got worse
He didn’t like. Within 20 seconds he’d lifted a ball over someone’s head and actually made a pass. He got in behind the full back a couple of times. I think you’re only remembering his chance which he should have buried.

He was absolutely woeful in his starting role.

The ball was going over his head and we weren’t even trying to pass the ball through midfield. Nothing him Dobson or mcgeough could do really. We came out for the second half committed to not going forward and then when we conceded the game turned into frantic punts up the field. Would have liked someone to have put their foot on the ball but can’t really blame any of the midfielders.

Agreed. For a debut three they played well in the first half, then Ross worked his magic and scuttled the ship. It's the gaffer isn't it, he's gutless.

Like the rest of the team, good first 30, dire after that. Harsh to judge him after one game when everyone else around him fell apart as well.

He didn’t like. Within 20 seconds he’d lifted a ball over someone’s head and actually made a pass. He got in behind the full back a couple of times. I think you’re only remembering his chance which he should have buried.

He was absolutely woeful in his starting role.
Hes a woeful footballer tbf. The only reason he will play games is that mcglaughlin is somehow worse

Agreed. For a debut three they played well in the first half, then Ross worked his magic and scuttled the ship. It's the gaffer isn't it, he's gutless.

Yeah first half Rotherham weren’t in the game. They had no control in the midfield and resorted to literally launching blind balls the corners to run after. Can’t believe we let them back in the game but you knew fine well we’d shit the bed and suddenly have a 30 yard gap to the striker. I know O’Nien is tall and I know Wyke is tall but it doesn’t mean we’ve got to launch it at their heads. They can still play football on the floor ffs.

I think that is being generous

I'm that kind of bloke mate. Like it or not he's exactly the sort of player we need. Someone totally committed to the cause, will play anywhere, has a huge heart and always gives his all. If we another two or three like him to lay the platform we'd be on our way.

Dobson disappeared after his booking and O’nien was poor and should have shot when ten yards out but passed it wide.

He should have and maybe ten games or so down the line he would do so. He's spent months playing at full back, he needs time to adjust. He'll not get it under this clown mind.

His weakness was the lack of guile in his actual play when you consider he needs some in that position.

His strength was that he didn’t give their defenders a moments peace, and on another day his breaking up of play could have led to something more dangerous for us. Their defenders had a quieter time once Maguire came on for him.

Back