What's going to happen to China, long term?

I feel like we need to ask people like @MrOompapa to weigh in here, but surely something has to change now. This is the second major coronavirus pandemic the world has faced in the last 20 years, both of which are thought to have originated in Chinese wet markets, due to the staggering lack of hygiene, cramped conditions and mixing of many different animals - dead and alive alike.

Surely the international community has to force China into making changes. They might have got away with it since SARS killed less than a thousand with the impact limited mostly to neighbouring countries, but this pandemic has the potential to kill many, many more people than SARS did.

They can't be allowed to continue in this manner, running incubators for zoonotic viruses which will eventually mutate and cause pandemics.

This one came from illegal trading of pangolins shipped in from India iirc. So not sure theres much they can do about it, bar crack down on illegal trading. No idea how strict they actually are on it.

I’d imagine their economy and relationships with country’s will be severely in danger after this. Now is not the time to ask the questions though

This one came from illegal trading of pangolins shipped in from India iirc. So not sure theres much they can do about it, bar crack down on illegal trading. No idea how strict they actually are on it.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

They managed to near enough lock a country down in days. Build a hospital in a week. It’s a near police state at times so if they wanted to they could. Even if it can’t be stamped out completely then more needs to be done, it’s not like the markets themselves are hidden away.

I agree but not sure there’s the appetite for it globally given that China is home to so much of the cheap manufacturing and other business that the big economies use. There may be once this plays out and with a bit of luck things will actually change. There needs to be a huge change in healthcare globally as well.

I feel like we need to ask people like @MrOompapa to weigh in here, but surely something has to change now. This is the second major coronavirus pandemic the world has faced in the last 20 years, both of which are thought to have originated in Chinese wet markets, due to the staggering lack of hygiene, cramped conditions and mixing of many different animals - dead and alive alike.

Surely the international community has to force China into making changes. They might have got away with it since SARS killed less than a thousand with the impact limited mostly to neighbouring countries, but this pandemic has the potential to kill many, many more people than SARS did.

They can't be allowed to continue in this manner, running incubators for zoonotic viruses which will eventually mutate and cause pandemics.

They shouldn’t be able to get away with it and the international community should condemn not only their appalling standards in relation to these sort of markets but also their handling of the initial outbreak, the suppression of information and their willingness to ignore the doctors seeing the cases start.

They will though, they’ll get away with the lot and come out of it smelling of roses. We’ll bend over the table for them as usual.

I’d imagine their economy and relationships with country’s will be severely in danger after this. Now is not the time to ask the questions though

I don't think so, they are sending masks, support and personnel to Italy. People in Italy were chanting "Grazie China" out of their windows.

Norway and Spain are also receiving support from China.

The idea that China has to globally account for this is wrong and misleading.
They shouldn’t be able to get away with it and the international community should condemn not only their appalling standards in relation to these sort of markets but also their handling of the initial outbreak, the suppression of information and their willingness to ignore the doctors seeing the cases start.

They will though, they’ll get away with the lot and come out of it smelling of roses. We’ll bend over the table for them as usual.

China have completely eradicated the outbreak in their own country, and the emergence of new cases in Europe and elsewhere had no direct link to it.

If anything, we now need their support to get through this situation ourselves.

China banned these markets at least a month ago. I strongly encourage people not to play the politics of blame here especially seen as Europe are now increasingly reliant on them for support in overcoming their own outbreak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think so, they are sending masks, support and personnel to Italy. People in Italy were chanting "Grazie China" out of their windows.

Norway and Spain are also receiving support from China.

The idea that China has to globally account for this is wrong and misleading.

China have completely eradicated the outbreak in their own country, and the emergence of new cases in Europe and elsewhere had no direct link to it.

If anything, we now need their support to get through this situation ourselves.

China banned these markets at least a month ago. I strongly encourage people not to play the politics of blame here especially seen as Europe are now increasingly reliant on them for support in overcoming their own outbreak.

Is it playing the politics of blame? I think the blame is entirely warranted, and they shouldn't escape the blame, for this will happen again. Those wet markets are virus factories.

Can I also just point out to people the Bat Eating thing is a racist/cultural stereotype and not based on any actual evidence?

The video of a woman eating a bat going viral on the internet was actually a tourist in the Pacific island nation of Palau, it had nothing to do with China.

And Chinese people as a whole do not eat exotic and weird things, I find this is prejudice.
There's absolutely no need for them to eat dogs, cats, bats, snakes, mice, lizards and whatever other animals the weirdos eat

The wet markets need to be banned with strict and harsh punishments

This is a racist stereotype.
Is it playing the politics of blame? I think the blame is entirely warranted, and they shouldn't escape the blame, for this will happen again. Those wet markets are virus factories.

They've already banned them, so no I don't think it will. I also do not believe China is responsible for outbreaks in other countries given that they successfully contained and eradicated it in Hubei.

Can I also just point out to people the Bat Eating thing is a racist/cultural stereotype and not based on any actual evidence?

The video of a woman eating a bat going viral on the internet was actually a tourist in the Pacific island nation of Palau, it had nothing to do with China.

And Chinese people as a whole do not eat exotic and weird things, I find this is prejudice.

This is a racist stereotype.

They've already banned them, so no I don't think it will. I also do not believe China is responsible for outbreaks in other countries given that they successfully contained and eradicated it in Hubei.

How? Im not saying they all do it but the wet markets are popular in China

How? Im not saying they all do it but the wet markets are popular in China

I have never met a single person who eats these kinds of things, and believe me I know a lot of Chinese people and have a lot of contacts.

Irrespective of how the virus has originated there is an obnoxious amount of cultural and racial profiling in this thread, playing on vivid imagery of a foreign exotic people eating "abnormal" things and that we are thus the hub of civilization.

I don't think so, major outbreaks in every country of Europe tells us that we do not have the advantages over China that we think we have here.

Good news that they've banned them.

I think we have significant disagreements on the rest, so good day to you Mr Oompapa.

Chinese gov has done nothing but promote this eating of wild animals etc since the starvation in the 70’s.
I was told by a Chinese guy that in the great famine, when the direct death toll was estimated around 40 million, poverty and starvation led some rural chinese to take their children to neighbouring villages to exchange for other village's children. The children were then cannibalised. He seemed very sincere. What can you say, the barbarity of Mao and the trauma that was visited on the people was so deep yet we frame questions amongst ourselves that quite possibly have no echo in their frame of cultural reference.
Chinese gov has done nothing but promote this eating of wild animals etc since the starvation in the 70’s.
I was told by a Chinese guy that in the great famine, when the direct death toll was estimated around 40 million, poverty and starvation led some rural chinese to take their children to neighbouring villages to exchange for other village's children. The children were then cannibalised. He seemed very sincere. What can you say, the barbarity of Mao and the trauma that was visited on the people was so deep yet we frame questions amongst ourselves that quite possibly have no echo in their frame of cultural reference.

Back