What's for Tea...?

I had a shepherds' pie with a mash made of canelinni beans, chick peas, black peas and green lentils. With cavolo nero.

It was an experiment...

It was good. The ratio of top to bottom was off though and the mash was a bit claggy and gritty so I need to take out some of the ingredients.
Cat
Here's a few different twists on the classic Shepherds pie, you may or may not want to try.

18 Creative and Comforting Twists on Classic Shepherd's Pie

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll take your word for it and pick some up next time I'm at the shops.
I like most veg, except sprouts and cauli, but just never got around to trying asparagus.
I quite fancy trying it steamed and dipped in soft boiled eggs.

Your idea of having it with salmon is worth bearing in mind also.
asparagus, tastes ok but makes your piss stink.

Sounds good KD
Salad and new potatoes for me tomorrow too.
Took some ham out of the freezer earlier.
Cannot beat ice cream for this weather, though I might buy a trifle from the shop for afters.

Got pork chops tonight will probably do the rest of the new potatoes with carrots and hollandaise sauce. I’m thinking bananas (got some that need eating up) and chilled custard for after. :) Another eat outside evening here in stockbroker belt @The Voice Of Reason Durham ;)

Got pork chops tonight will probably do the rest of the new potatoes with carrots and hollandaise sauce. I’m thinking bananas (got some that need eating up) and chilled custard for after. :) Another eat outside evening here in stockbroker belt @The Voice Of Reason Durham ;)
:D
Aye, another scorching day in the North East and very warm on the coast too, here in the People's Republic of British West Hartlepool :cool:
Chops are quick and take little looking after so again ideal for not being stuck in the kitchen on a hot day.
I do love my puds and would be happy to eat desserts instead of savoury.
I think we might all be eating indoors by Friday as the weather is set to be a bit cooler :(
Enjoy your al fresco food fest.

Ham, salad and new potatoes was very enjoyable.
I de-seeded and sliced a yellow and a red capsicum to add a bit of extra crispness to the salad and also added some crumbled goats cheese too, for a bit of variety.
Decided against trifle, and had a shop bought Tiramisu for afters.

With cheese on top, it's a real winner!
Aye I used to warm some tinned spaghetti in a pan and grate some cheddar into the pan, until the cheese melted into the spaghetti and sauce.
It is delicious on toast. :p
I've not had cheese with beans but I reckon it will taste the same as cheese and spaghetti.
I only recently started to eat baked beans, because for years I didn't like them.
I cannot get enough of them these days.

Salmon or sea trout roe on toast with some smoked salmon to trout. Sour cream, red onions, black pepper. Pour big glasses of white wine and go to bed after the match.

Back