What's everyone's plans for Patrick's Day?

What have the Irish ever given us apart from Pikeys, the IRA, Graham Norton and a constantly proffered begging bowl?

Don't think about saying Guinness which was started by an Englishman (born in Ireland but still English) and is still owned by a British company!

Well, I suppose you could say we gave you cheap travel (RyanAir) and Terry Wogan :cool:

And what begging bowl.

For the record, Arthur Guinness was Irish with no connection to England whatsoever.

Arthur Guinness's parents Richard and Elizabeth were both the children of tenant farmers in Dublin and Kildare. Richard's family claimed a descent from the Gaelic Magennis clan of County Down.[2] Recent DNA evidence however suggests descent from the McCartans, another County Down clan, whose spiritual home of Kinelarty included the townland of "Guiness" near Ballynahinch, County Down.[3]

What might be of interest is that a trade war (known in Ireland as the Economic War 1932-1938) between Ireland and the UK was the reason Guinness moved its HQ from Ireland to England company in the 1930s. After that, they tried to move manufacturing to England but the product tasted so shite they decided to leave it in Dublin.'s

Elsewhere, its claimed that Paddy's Day is just Guinness market. Thats pure rubbish. Its Ireland marketing itself to the rest of the world, feic all to do with Guinness.

Well, I suppose you could say we gave you cheap travel (RyanAir) and Terry Wogan :cool:

And what begging bowl.

For the record, Arthur Guinness was Irish with no connection to England whatsoever.

Yet another two reasons to treat the Irish with contempt.

As for the remainder, you need to take off your green specs and then immerse yourself in some history books.

Yet another two reasons to treat the Irish with contempt.

What, what - too many bloody foreigners able to afford to travel by plane to England and take all your jobs :lol:

As for the remainder, you need to take off your green specs and then immerse yourself in some history books.

Which bit do you have a problem with? Arthur Guinness nationality or the fact that Guinness produced outside the island of Ireland tastes shite.

Had a great day myself. Far too much to drink of course and didn't feel ower clever yesterday.

Elsewhere, its claimed that Paddy's Day is just Guinness market. Thats pure rubbish. Its Ireland marketing itself to the rest of the world, feic all to do with Guinness.
I don't agree, it is true. Certainly in the majority of the UK. There are places around the world where there has been large Irish immigration like the US, London. Probably Liverpool. But it only became 'a thing' in places like Sunderland because of the Guinness marketing. I remember it around 94/95 when it really started to take off. With the daft hats and then drink 4 pints and get the 5th free. So it was very popular for that reason. It was utterly brilliant marketing.
What I love the most about it is that it really riles the GAMMON. A lass I used to go to school with was sharing St Georges day stuff on that day.

Of English descent, as was any landowner in the colony at that time.

Do you disagree?

Yes. I disagree as does their family history.

''Arthur Guinness's parents Richard and Elizabeth were both the children of tenant farmers in Dublin and Kildare. Richard's family claimed a descent from the Gaelic Magennis clan of County Down. Recent DNA evidence however suggests descent from the McCartans, another County Down clan, whose spiritual home of Kinelarty included the townland of "Guiness" near Ballynahinch, County Down.''

Dublin, Kildare and Down are all places in Ireland. By the way, Arthur got the loan of some money from his uncle to start the brewery. An early entrepreneur!

Had a great day myself. Far too much to drink of course and didn't feel ower clever yesterday.

I don't agree, it is true. Certainly in the majority of the UK. There are places around the world where there has been large Irish immigration like the US, London. Probably Liverpool. But it only became 'a thing' in places like Sunderland because of the Guinness marketing. I remember it around 94/95 when it really started to take off. With the daft hats and then drink 4 pints and get the 5th free. So it was very popular for that reason. It was utterly brilliant marketing.
What I love the most about it is that it really riles the GAMMON. A lass I used to go to school with was sharing St Georges day stuff on that day.

Because of the Troubles in NI/IRA bombing campaign in England, it was never a place where St. Patrick's day was celebrated.

Elsewhere though it has been celebrated. The first ever parade was in New York in 1762. Its really a big day in the US. For the last 50 years or so, there is a standing invitation every year to the Irish Taoiseach to the Whitehouse and the Speaker of the House of Reps. hosts a lunch on Capitol Hill (which the President comes to). Iconic buildings are turned green all over the world (such as Sydney Opera House, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Pyramids in Egypt).

Last edited:
Because of the Troubles in NI/IRA bombing campaign in England, it was never a place where St. Patrick's day was celebrated.

Elsewhere though it has been celebrated. The first ever parade was in New York in 1762. Its really a big day in the US. For the last 50 years or so, there is a standing invitation every year to the Irish Taoiseach to the Whitehouse and the Speaker of the House of Reps. hosts a lunch on Capitol Hill (which the President comes to). Iconic buildings are turned green all over the world (such as Sydney Opera House, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Pyramids in Egypt).
Yep around the world it's celebrated because of Irish immigration and ancestry but the UK very much because of Guinness.

The parade in Sydney was a brilliant event. Ended up in Hyde park with bands on. A great family day. Pubs could get messy mind. Trying to cram in to the Hero of Waterloo and The Mercantile. Sweat and guinness everywhere. Class.

Back