What ya getting your kids?

Wow! Some of the money you lot spend must be getting well over £1000

We give ours a monetary limit and then they make a list. If what they want is above the limit they can have de monies instead. Decided a while back its best for them that they realise they cannot be guaranteed exactly what they want. Will hopefully make the mid and late teens easier when 'wants' have the potential to get really expensive eg cars/holidays. If we can replace this 'want' with 'would like' then life should be easier.
18 year old daughter ... Dyson Straightners
9 year old daughter---- Nintendo switch
5 year old daughter...... New bike
21 month old Grandson....Balance Bike and Kitchen
17 Month Daughter.....Peppa pig kitchen
What relation is the 21 month grandson to the 17 month daughter? Im struggling to get me head round it.
Is the 17month old the 21 month olds aunt?

Last edited:

It’s a she but no, do I fuck. Certainly not at five year old. I don’t actually think either of them are getting a “big” present as such this year. Like a bike etc.
What age do you reckon it would become an issue? If at all.
I’m trying to think back to my own childhood but I can’t think of any kids that were getting the sort of things (or the equivalent of the day) that I’m reading on this thread so I can’t remember it being an issue. Maybe it was happening and it just isn’t an issue as you say.

What age do you reckon it would become an issue? If at all.
I’m trying to think back to my own childhood but I can’t think of any kids that were getting the sort of things (or the equivalent of the day) that I’m reading on this thread so I can’t remember it being an issue. Maybe it was happening and it just isn’t an issue as you say.
I think as they hit late juniors it’ll start to become a thing. That’s when they become more aware of technology and that’s the expensive bits.

You can get a bike for a little amount of money or a lot and they all do the same thing.

Whereas there’s only one or two models of phone they’ll want, tablet, laptop, console etc. and they are so extortionately priced.

It was different when we were kids, I’ve got two brothers and if we wanted a games console we’d get one between us and then little presents. Not one each like today as one wants an XBOX and another a PS5.

Last edited:
I think as they hit late juniors it’ll start to become a thing. That’s when they become more aware of technology and that’s the expensive bits.

You can get a bike for a little amount of money or a lot and they all do the same thing.

Whereas there’s only one or two models of phone they’ll want, tablet, laptop, console etc. and they are so extortionately priced.

It was different when we were kids, I’ve got two brothers and if we wanted a games console we’d get one between us and then little presents. Not one each like today as one wants an XBOX and another a PS5.
I'll be honest, and this isn't a slight on anyone that's posted or a criticism of anything that anyone's doing, but I've found this thread a genuinely depressing read.

I'll be honest, and this isn't a slight on anyone that's posted or a criticism of anything that anyone's doing, but I've found this thread a genuinely depressing read.
Must admit some of the money being mentioned is a bit much. Does seem to be a feature of this forum like. There must be a very small number of ordinary folk on here who simply earn average salaries

Must admit some of the money being mentioned is a bit much. Does seem to be a feature of this forum like. There must be a very small number of ordinary folk on here who simply earn average salaries
Or maybe some are like me and save each month for Christmas? I couldn’t pull out the money for a PS5 in one go, I couldn’t afford to.

Isnt it!? People go mental haha. I thought we were bad.. but we generally tend to go more for volume rather than big one off spends.

Haha a daughter younger than a Grandson. Good going that!

My Uncle was in the same year has his Uncle at school
Wow! Some of the money you lot spend must be getting well over £1000

We give ours a monetary limit and then they make a list. If what they want is above the limit they can have de monies instead. Decided a while back its best for them that they realise they cannot be guaranteed exactly what they want. Will hopefully make the mid and late teens easier when 'wants' have the potential to get really expensive eg cars/holidays. If we can replace this 'want' with 'would like' then life should be easier.

What relation is the 21 month grandson to the 17 month daughter? Im struggling to get me head round it.
Is the 17month old the 21 month olds aunt?
Aye the 17 month old will be the 21 month olds auntie. My nana had my uncle when she was 18 and her mam had a son who was obviously my nanas brother a few month later. So my uncle was in the same year at school as his younger uncle. :lol:

Or maybe some are like me and save each month for Christmas? I couldn’t pull out the money for a PS5 in one go, I couldn’t afford to.
I get that. Suppose my circumstances changed dramatically in the summer which kind of adds to the pressure

Still, there are some very rich people on here judging by a lot of the posts on threads

I get that. Suppose my circumstances changed dramatically in the summer which kind of adds to the pressure

Still, there are some very rich people on here judging by a lot of the posts on threads
Oh dear, that doesn’t sound good. I hope it’s not too bad,I know all about that though as mine changed dramatically last year.
I’ve never been bothered about how much people spend on their kids, it’s their money that they have worked for and up to them if they want to buy expensive stuff at Christmas.

Time is the best thing you can give them. Mine haven't had much physical stuff as I've never been wealthy but I've spent time and taken them places on a shoestring. Now they are adults that my lads realise how valuable that is.

I think it gets more mental every year to be honest as does everything, birthdays, Halloween etc. Social media is the driver of it imo. I have to try and reign the spending in as the wife doesn’t know when to stop. Some years we don’t get the kids a ‘big present’ so it spreads the money further. This years been a bit expensive as all my 11 year old has asked for is an I pad. 5 year olds got a cheaper small Samsung tablet. We also get them a few bits of clothing as it means more presents for them whilst getting them clothes that we would of had to buy anyway :lol:

I think it gets more mental every year to be honest as does everything, birthdays, Halloween etc. Social media is the driver of it imo. I have to try and reign the spending in as the wife doesn’t know when to stop. Some years we don’t get the kids a ‘big present’ so it spreads the money further. This years been a bit expensive as all my 11 year old has asked for is an I pad. 5 year olds got a cheaper small Samsung tablet. We also get them a few bits of clothing as it means more presents for them whilst getting them clothes that we would of had to buy anyway :lol:
Seing the clip of you, you could do with someone buying you some new clothes TBH.

Seing the clip of you, you could do with someone buying you some new clothes TBH.
Can’t afford to buy myself any by the time I sort the wife and kids out. Good job Christmas is coming I need some new socks!

I’m still smart as a carrot though got a few new tops put away ready for when I’m allowed out:cool:

Back