What would you do?

I dropped a £10 note the other day and a bloke picked it up tapped me on the shoulder and gave me it.

Same night I was in Asda and a young lass left a tenner in the change bit of the self service machine. I shouted of her and gave it back.
I’m a believer in what goes around comes around.
I found £40 in Monument metro. Place was very busy. But scooped it up and stuffed it in my pocket. Handed it in and was told if it was not claimed in 3 months i could claim it. Got it back 3 months later.
Nice one.

Would you hand it in? Bet the lad was buzzing at the time

I'm sure I've posted this before but just in case...

I was doing a charity collection in Leeds for Meningitis UK many moons ago. Stood on Corporation Street I think and while i'm standing there trying to part the wrong riding of their money, some notes fluttered along the floor towards me.
6 20s and a 10 I think. £130. I picked it up and looked around. A few people saw and said "pocket it" or "put it in your bucket".
I put it in my pocket and waited to see if anyone came back looking panicked for losing over a hundred quid. Nothing happened. I phoned the local police station and explained. They said there's no way anyone could prove it was their money so they said it's up to you.
I put it in my bucket. Raised over £330 that day. Good day for me and Meningitis UK.

I'd hand it back in most likely. Drink might sway me to put it on red like.

I once found a wallet in the car park at the galleries just after Christmas one year. It was full of cash (£100+) and cards. I checked the driving license out and took the wallet to the address where they had a house guest who we left the wallet with. He asked for our number and they called and asked us for our address so that they could send a bunch of flowers to say thank you. We declined but it was a nice offer and a nice thing to do

I would turn it in. Could use all the good Karma I can get.
Maybe finding it in the first place was your karma coming good for you?
I'd hand it back in most likely. Drink might sway me to put it on red like.

I once found a wallet in the car park at the galleries just after Christmas one year. It was full of cash (£100+) and cards. I checked the driving license out and took the wallet to the address where they had a house guest who we left the wallet with. He asked for our number and they called and asked us for our address so that they could send a bunch of flowers to say thank you. We declined but it was a nice offer and a nice thing to do
Be honest. You declined flowers and asked for the cash alternative didn't you? ;)

In approximately 1968 at age 10 I found a ten bob note (50p) lying on the pavement. I went straight to the newsagents and bought a Revell model aircraft kit and a load of chocolate and pop which I pouched on getting home. Was ill as hell all afternoon.
Crime doesn't pay, kids!

I found £40 in Monument metro. Place was very busy. But scooped it up and stuffed it in my pocket. Handed it in and was told if it was not claimed in 3 months i could claim it. Got it back 3 months later.
wonder how you'd prove its yours? wonder if i pick a random amount of money and chance my arm with metro staff AND hit luck that they'd pony up the dough?
I phoned the local police station and explained. They said there's no way anyone could prove it was their money so they said it's up to you.
is a pretty reasonable approach i'd think...

Maybe finding it in the first place was your karma coming good for you?

Be honest. You declined flowers and asked for the cash alternative didn't you? ;)
Nah, it isn't mine and I didn't do anything to earn it. It was obvious someone dropped it. So I'd turn it in. I rather have no karma than bad karma truth be told.

wonder how you'd prove its yours? wonder if i pick a random amount of money and chance my arm with metro staff AND hit luck that they'd pony up the dough?

If it were in an envelope or if they could identify it by say a pen mark or something that no one else could know was on it then fair enough but if I handed it in and it wasn't claimed I'd have to go back and get it

Very commendable in this day and age Sir.
Not really. Being Black means Open Season so you get used to keeping your nose clean because you're going to be suspected or accused of a crime anyway and there's nothing better than being able to prove them wrong;)

Well the claimant would need to know the amount and the station it was found. There was no way i was going to hold up the notes and say "Whose just dropped these". £40 was handed into Haymarket metro station, which was where i was told to take it when i rang Nexus to say i'd found something at one of their stations. Got a receipt from their lost prop desk at Haymarket.

Back