What was fun when you were a bairn?

Micro machines.

Me laid flat out, left cheek on the carpet right arm outstretched up and over down onto the sideboard drawers. I’d run the little things back and forth for hours, skidding them around the record player.
Pokeman cards.
Garden hopping.
Buzz off.
Knocky-nine-doors.
LMA manager.
HMRC Conspiracy Theory.

My Mam reminded me tonight that my brother and me invented a game called Welly Splats at Finchale Abbey. You had to wade out into the river and let your wellies fill up with water. Then you shuffled out on to the flat rocks on the river bank and had to jump as hard you could. The winner was the one who managed to get the water highest up the leg of their shorts.

Making Hay jumps
Collecting wood for the bonfire
Jumpy dickas (jumping parts of the beck starting easy and getting progressively harder)
Boat races with sticks in the beck
Making camps

I'm actually sitting watching bullseye on the challenge channel. The most fun you could get back in the day.

Last edited:
Tape recorders were one of our pleasures, we'd pop in the memorex, press record then and me and my sister would pretend to be news readers, she pretended to be her who didn't move her lips and I'd be Alistair Burnet, she would say something like "this is the news, a man ate a sausage and now he is dead" then play it back and we would giggle.
Sliding down a hill In the snow on a gas board road barrier.

Just going out from first thing in the morning until last thing at night on weekends and the holidays - walking/running, playing footy and riding my bike. Utter freedom without a care in the world.
I played footy for hours on end joining in whatever games were going on and organising my own teams and matches.

Back