What type of holiday maker are you ?

Did one of those beach holidays 2 years ago for the first time since I was a bairn in college with 'the lads' - two weeks in Turkey with family friends, was bored after 1 week of the same horrific entertainment around the pool and taccy shops lining all the streets where you can't move for locals pestering you for your money before you get home and feel like crap for a week due to all the sh1te you've consumed while being away. We were talking to other Brits there and loads were all 'we've been coming here for 2 weeks every year for the last X years, love it I'd never want to go elsewhere', personally not for me but at the end of the day if it's how people want to spend their holidays then it's up to them.

Much prefer 3 or 4 nights exploring a city regardless of the season. I'm off to Vienna in a few weeks time to have a proper visit after passing through while interrailing earlier in the year but only had 1 night there then so wanted to see more it, fascinating place.

Might change my view on 'an ideal holiday' once I'm middle aged though.
I went to The Riviera Maya in Mexico and loved it however the best part was well away from the hotel in the jungle

Follow the crowds loving the In place to go.
You avoid fellow Brits and go to non holiday resorts ?
Can't stand the likes of Turkey, Bulgaria etc where people go because it's CHEAP.

I travel to experience other places, so that means not doing the traditional British holidays and getting stuck in to local culture.

Go on package holidays where there's tons of Brits.
Just returned from Costa Del Sol yesterday PM, the hotel was full of scousers :D

My home life is busy enough with 3 kids i like to relax for a fortnight.

I appreciate this type of holiday is not for everyone and can totally see why others like to sample the local culture.

Each to their own.

I like to get absolutely gattered and March about in muddy fields, possibly watching musicians playing. If only there was a type of holiday that catered for this.

Usually break a 10-12 day trip up into a few chunks. 4 days doing nowt by a pool, 4 days somewhere else chilled but with a Town or excursions close by, finish with a city break.

Staying in the same place for over a week gets boring.

You may as well stay in the blandford.
The world is out there to explore.
There are a lot of us who like to explore.
Everyone to their own though 🙂
Like you say, each to their own. We holiday abroad several times a year. We do both self catering and All Inclusive. If we are self catering we like to mix with the locals and eat with them.
My daughter works for TUI and her job takes her all over the world, quite literally.
We went to Turkey 5* all inclusive this year and never left the hotel neither did my daughter who was with us.
Carry on with your pigeon holing.

Love a cruise
Love a walking holiday e,g, Scottish Highlands/Peak District
Love Lake Garda
Love Cyprus
Love a city break
Love the Greek Islands
Love a weekend at home just hanging around the house
Love any kind of break/holiday anywhere really - just love not working, relaxing and spending quality time with my wife (no) without the stresses of life going on - total news ban, be anti-social and pretend nobody else exists except to look after and/or entertain us!

I would be brilliant at being retired :cool::cool:

Just chilling out, eating decent food and having a few beers. I've been to the Greek Islands (Crete, Kos and Corfu) and Cyprus over the last 4 summers. I've also been to the Canaries a couple of times recently.

I usually hire a car for a couple of days in the middle of the holiday to get out and about further a field.

I'm not really into sight seeing. I just like to relax.

Nah. Not really thought of it. I'd love to see Iran though. Just a taster maybe....extended stop over kind of thing.

A family friend used to fly there as a pilot for British Airways years ago, always rated it as one of his favourite stopovers. Reckons the average Iranian is very pleasant and the place is stunning. Although that was some time ago.

A family friend used to fly there as a pilot for British Airways years ago, always rated it as one of his favourite stopovers. Reckons the average Iranian is very pleasant and the place is stunning. Although that was some time ago.
I was refused a visa into iran,applied in Islamabad to come overland,hung around in Baluchistan for a month,went back to Islamabad to check my application,refused.
Logon or register to see this image
Logon or register to see this image
Went to the winterlude ice-carving world championships in Ontario last year,it was -25.

Last edited:

Back