What type of holiday maker are you ?

I’m off back to Malta next month as it happens.
Going to head one evening down to Marsaxlokk to have a meal and drink round the fishing village there.
Any other similar recommendations ?

Mdina

I liked Malta the fist time I went years ago. Then I discovered Gozo and returned a couple of times, hating the trip up Malta to get there. Now I've gone off Gozo

For me: We tend to go self catering, arrange flights, take a train or a bus, go to a reasonably well known place or discover somewhere I like but enjoy being in a place where few people speak English as a first language.

I enjoy the thrill of making myself understood with a few hesitant attempts at Spanish, Italian, Arabic or whatever. Sample the local foods. Avoid anywhere that advertises 'All Day Breakfast' or 'Fish and Chips'. I'm on holiday. I'll be a snob if I want to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mdina

I liked Malta the fist time I went years ago. Then I discovered Gozo and returned a couple of times, hating the trip up Malta to get there. Now I've gone off Gozo

For me: We tend to go self catering, arrange flights, take a train or a bus, go to a reasonably well known place or discover somewhere I like but enjoy being in a place where few people speak English as a first language.

I enjoy the thrill of making myself understood with a few hesitant attempts at Spanish, Italian, Arabic or whatever. Sample the local foods. Avoid anywhere that advertises 'All Day Breakfast' or 'Fish and Chips'. I'm on holiday. I'll be a snob if I want to.

Went to Mdina last year and thought it was amazing.
There was a fantastic restaurant up on the city walls walkway with superb views right across the island.
Stopped off at Mosta on the way there for a look round too.
Gozo is on my list to go to as well this year.

Try to go places where all nationalities stay, but avoid anywhere that has a lot of ex pats. Bars tend to be full of the stupid twats whove came from nowt yet now claim theyre living in some kind of utopia, doing a shit job somewhere hot.

I'm a Spain type of person. Benidorm and the likes. Not interested in seeing the world or seeing any sites. Only places that are fun for me and the family. That's sun,pool ,beach,bars, restaurants, entertainment. Plenty beer and food
This for me.
Not bothered where it is really as long as its somewhere we enjoy.

I know a lad who when he goes away ge constantly puts up pics on social media in his designer clobber and tables full of spirits/champagne and a few 50 euro notes scattered about etc. Convincing himself he is some type of mini celeb by the looks of it. Back at home he works in a factory. Each to their own but not what I want out of a holiday.

My best mates sister went to Bulgaria a few years back and everybody clapped and cheered on the plane when they landed back in Newcastle :lol: :lol:

We tend to do a mix of things. European city break in spring when it's quiet and cold with somewhere more off the beaten track in Easter. Usually do North America once a year as well and either Asia or Australasia depending on what we fancy and what good flight deals are available. Quite like the middle east in Summer when it's absolutely roasting and quiet for a bit of downtime and relaxation.

Never done a package holiday and never will as I quite like booking it all myself and can't stand being surrounded by British tourists. Malta is by far and away the worst holiday we have ever had. It was an absolute nightmare from start to finish.

Love Florida and all the things it offers as a holiday but its just getting very expensive these days

Crete is a lovely island to visit in Europe and never been to Turkey but seriously thinking about it

Last few year have been in this country Norfolk, Cheshire both lovely but still think the weather makes your holiday

Done a few city breaks and discovered Edinburgh love it there and Liverpool what a city and love the people who live there and there sense of humour

Just back from Vegas. Hired a car for 3 days and drove to Zion National Park, Red Rock National Park and the Valley of Fire National Park. Some stunning places to visit outside Vegas Zion was the furthest drive at 2.5 hours. Much better than booking tours as we had previously done to the Grand Canyon.

I try to avoid other Brits if possible.

All inclusive/restore holidays are my worst nightmare, but can understand why others like them.

I also try to go somewhere new each holiday as I enjoy the unknown and experiencing new cultures.

I am a very easy holiday maker. Any landlocked or non-landlocked nation of any size with an internationally recognized state flag and anthem that has ever competed at any of the modern Olympics and that has ever made the news for any reason is a place I would love to go to.

As someone who has never flown before and gone outside of the borders of mainland UK for a proper holiday (I did go to Holland with my late Granddad to his place in The Hague in 1999 but that doesn't count) I was jut bowled over by the beauty of Jersey. Gorgeous countryside. It the sort of place you like is a place that is full of council houses, derelict offices and industrial estates then you are out of luck. Jersey is fully of gorgeous old buildings with history. It's full of fascinating attractions like Elizabeth Castle. No main roads there. It's nearly all country lanes. I missed it so much when I landed at Newcastle Int. Airport on Saturday August 3. If the feeling of truly missing something is defined by a sense you had something really lovely but it is gone and you can't get it back then that is what I felt. That's why I have kept as a memento the boarding pass for my return journey and the metro ticket as well as a receipt for something bought.

My lass wants to take me to see two of her friend's one of whom lives in Germany and the other lives in Austria in Vienna. Both would have do go something to better what I saw in Jersey. I mean they would have to be something really special.
I live in Germany. Its f***ing mint.
A family friend used to fly there as a pilot for British Airways years ago, always rated it as one of his favourite stopovers. Reckons the average Iranian is very pleasant and the place is stunning. Although that was some time ago.
Its class. Really enjoyed it. Went April last year. People are the nicest I've come across.

Last edited:
I like European city breaks and exploring the culture of a different country but as I’ve got older I’ve discovered the beauty of lying on a sunlounger, stuffing myself silly and drinking myself into oblivion on cheap spirits.

My wife talks to everyone in a nice not overpowering way. She loves kids. So, all inclusives she will happily bring the kids together and make them all go in the pool together or go to the ice cream kiosk together and that means she gets to know the parents and after one day in the resort she’s saying hiya to everyone.
I read my book.
She’s just very happy and friendly. On a night she sticks to me and our family and is great.
We do self catering too and she doesn’t bother with kids and eats and drinks and burns but is still happy.
How can you say what kind of holiday maker you are ?
We would help anyone, are happy, and go with the flow.

Back