What the former Corner Flag pub is to become.

Last time I was in there the fans museum lads had a section, must be about five years ago?

Have the council made any announcements for its future use or are they hoping the council tax payers will forget about it and its expense. How long was it in use for 15yrs or so?
As far as I can remember, and I'm happy to be corrected on this, it was taken over by the company who came in to run Children's Services. I think they have moved on now but at the time it was a high priority thing to keep them out of the Civic Centre.
I think that was the original reason for the library move.
Sure it will be repurposed or sold on in time but obviously not much point at the minute.

Proposed one looks great.

As far as I can remember, and I'm happy to be corrected on this, it was taken over by the company who came in to run Children's Services. I think they have moved on now but at the time it was a high priority thing to keep them out of the Civic Centre.
I think that was the original reason for the library move.
Sure it will be repurposed or sold on in time but obviously not much point at the minute.

Proposed one looks great.

Connexions (formerly the careers service for young people) used to be in that building until the caring Tories butchered the service.

Looks amazing. Just need to get rid of shoe zone etc. Whats planned for the streets like blandford and the one with josephs ?
As far removed from Idols as it could ever be :lol:

Ised to be an amazing bar maid in there long straight blonde hair. Was worth the anti freeze beer
The library has moved that many times in the last 20 years they should of just invested in a mobile one
Books becoming as relevant as cs's so good to see sunderland going digital.

Last edited:
Would be good if the Galen Building could be refurbished. Anyone know if there are any plans?

not aware of any plans or who owns it.

I think it could be a great development, possibly a hotel with a decent restaurant / bar inside much like the hotel indigo in Durham - though not sure there is demand for another hotel in the city at present. Think it would cost a small fortune to redevelop mind you.

not aware of any plans or who owns it.

I think it could be a great development, possibly a hotel with a decent restaurant / bar inside much like the hotel indigo in Durham - though not sure there is demand for another hotel in the city at present. Think it would cost a small fortune to redevelop mind you.
Someone suggested that it would have made a good Town Hall. Seems a good idea. Surely would be cheaper to refurbish than build the new one. Obviously depends who owns it and if they are willing to sell.

Someone suggested that it would have made a good Town Hall. Seems a good idea. Surely would be cheaper to refurbish than build the new one. Obviously depends who owns it and if they are willing to sell.
I doubt it would be cheaper than building new when considering ongoing maintenance of the facility though depends what you put in the town hall?

The main issue is in respect to the cost to refurbish the externals and then any adaptation internally. M&E and IT install likely to be inefficient.

Plus as you say there is the cost to acquire it though can’t imagine it would have much value mind.

Back