What the former Corner Flag pub is to become.

I've told this tale a few times but I don't know whether it's a 'gen dit, no shit' or a proper urban myth.

Allegedly, there was a spate of herpes that went about on Wearside and the cause was traced back to the fact that Idols barmaids would spend much of the evening retrieving their swimsuits out of their front and rear lady bottoms.

Fact or fiction?
Fact. Fact.

As a side note, what’s happening to Fawcett St? When I was a kid it was a bustling town center street. I haven’t been there for a few years but whenI was last there it was a dump.
Much the same. The bridges shopping centre has pretty much hoovered up most of the main retailers which generate footfall, with the exception of the odd independent store. The top of fawcett st / High st west appears to be getting a bit of a new lease of life but the rest of fawcett st is tertiary retail. Upper floors of the properties need to be converted to small offices / resi to try and get some life into the place.

I nivver knew they’d gone back to the Mowbray Park building! So what is at the Fawcett St one now?
Neither did I.
I was a regular in the old Mowbray library. I always enjoyed a visit to the library and the museum. I used the new fawcett Street library a few times but haven't been in any library for years. I was a member of 3 libraries at one time but 2 of them have closed now.
I didn't know they'd moved the town library back to the old building. I'll have to pay a visit see if my card is still usable.
I wonder if Clarence the lion is still in the museum? The size of the lion I remember scared me as a little kid.

As far as I can remember, and I'm happy to be corrected on this, it was taken over by the company who came in to run Children's Services. I think they have moved on now but at the time it was a high priority thing to keep them out of the Civic Centre.
I think that was the original reason for the library move.
Sure it will be repurposed or sold on in time but obviously not much point at the minute.

Proposed one looks great.
I worked for the library at the time, as Athetico Minces Andy Dawson boss. After Children's Services royally fucked up and let down the people of Sunderland they were put emergency special measures and under Gov control. They were told to have a central location so the library and art gallery got turfed out.

I was in former shop opposite the 3 shop in the Bridges this morning.
They were showing off plans for the new library in Keel Square.

The new Library architect and people from Sunderland city council were there giving out advice.
The plans looked very impressive.

The new Library architect and people from Sunderland city council were there giving out advice.
Did they say what they are doing with the current museum site? I assume the Family History dept will be moving from the Elephant Building?

Yeah think it’s been in their a good few years now. It’s pretty poor if I am honest with barely any books so a bigger and better facility is needed though it would need to be more than just a library.
Aye, just one big room at the minute. Not sure why it moved from Fawcett Street but it had a lot more to it there. Needs its own space.

Well I suspect if it becomes a library there's unlikely to be people sniffing things in the bogs like there were the last time I was in The Corner Flag

I've told this tale a few times but I don't know whether it's a 'gen dit, no shit' or a proper urban myth.

Allegedly, there was a spate of herpes that went about on Wearside and the cause was traced back to the fact that Idols barmaids would spend much of the evening retrieving their swimsuits out of their front and rear lady bottoms.

Fact or fiction?
My memory of the story was the rims of the pint glasses were tested and returned high levels of faecal and vaginal deposits as the glasses were picked up by finger and thumb.

Neither did I.
I was a regular in the old Mowbray library. I always enjoyed a visit to the library and the museum. I used the new fawcett Street library a few times but haven't been in any library for years. I was a member of 3 libraries at one time but 2 of them have closed now.
I didn't know they'd moved the town library back to the old building. I'll have to pay a visit see if my card is still usable.
I wonder if Clarence the lion is still in the museum? The size of the lion I remember scared me as a little kid.
Wallace the lion is still in the museum, next to the Nissan bluebird

As a side note, what’s happening to Fawcett St? When I was a kid it was a bustling town center street. I haven’t been there for a few years but whenI was last there it was a dump.
Have you been locked down for 30 years

Advice about what
A library

Last edited:

Back