What the former Corner Flag pub is to become.

As far as I can remember, and I'm happy to be corrected on this, it was taken over by the company who came in to run Children's Services. I think they have moved on now but at the time it was a high priority thing to keep them out of the Civic Centre.
I think that was the original reason for the library move.
Sure it will be repurposed or sold on in time but obviously not much point at the minute.

Proposed one looks great.

Children's Services were in Cassaton House down the road.

As far as I can remember, and I'm happy to be corrected on this, it was taken over by the company who came in to run Children's Services. I think they have moved on now but at the time it was a high priority thing to keep them out of the Civic Centre.
I think that was the original reason for the library move.
Sure it will be repurposed or sold on in time but obviously not much point at the minute.

Proposed one looks great.

does the council actually own the building or did they lease it?

Ship Inn was about half a mile down High Street West.

I'd imagine leased seeing that other parts of the building were too (Rileys, Spoons).
Presumably they are just going to hand back the property to the owner to redevelop. Suspect it will be housing of some sort assuming it can be converted.

I've told this tale a few times but I don't know whether it's a 'gen dit, no shit' or a proper urban myth.

Allegedly, there was a spate of herpes that went about on Wearside and the cause was traced back to the fact that Idols barmaids would spend much of the evening retrieving their swimsuits out of their front and rear lady bottoms.

Fact or fiction?

I've told this tale a few times but I don't know whether it's a 'gen dit, no shit' or a proper urban myth.

Allegedly, there was a spate of herpes that went about on Wearside and the cause was traced back to the fact that Idols barmaids would spend much of the evening retrieving their swimsuits out of their front and rear lady bottoms.

Fact or fiction?

My missus worked there for a couple of weeks in her late teens. :lol:

Tiny compared to the civic, or the new build, surely?
Not sure, goes back quite a way. Is L shaped looks decent size, 2-3x the size of the frontage. It's also 3 storeys.

Could be hot desking so may not need as much floorspace?

Just a shame that it's not being used. Concerned that it if they leave it any longer may be beyond repair.

Not sure, goes back quite a way. Is L shaped looks decent size, 2-3x the size of the frontage. It's also 3 storeys.

Just a shame that it's not being used. Concerned that it if they leave it any longer may be beyond repair.
I think they possibly could have considered separating the political elements of the council from the day to day management by locating the political parties and council chambers in an historic building though not sure if any could have accommodated a full council or planning meeting.

presume the university still own it but can’t be sure.

It is a shame, beautiful building. Have been round it some time back, which is why I think it's not big enough - and of course like a lot of old buildings, it's not easy to convert into modern open office space. Would be lovely to see it restored and in use as something else though.

I think they possibly could have considered separating the political elements of the council from the day to day management by locating the political parties and council chambers in an historic building though not sure if any could have accommodated a full council or planning meeting.

Don't know who owns it but the guttering was full of crap and some windows were broken so it's certainly going to be damp. Surely they need to secure it at the very least.

I could be wrong but I don't think Sunderland University own it anymore.

Would be good if the Galen Building could be refurbished. Anyone know if there are any plans?
Someone has been ripping the naff furnishings out over the last 2 weeks or so, which I assume were put in by the people running the failed Mexicans.

Looks more like it’s being prepped for it’s next failed pub/ restaurant venture rather than anything more substantial though

Back