What size TV do you have in your living room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one with a 3D TV? Mine is a Samsung 55" Active 3D (better than Passive) and was the top of range £2500 TV a few years back but I picked it up on Gumtree last year for £250 :cool: Even though it's now a dead technology, there's still plenty to watch on 3D from over the years and there's still some stuff being released.

I think it's class as I also got the Samsung 3D Bluray player with 5.1 Surround which is excellent sound quality as the rumble from the bass is deep enough. Watching stuff like Jurassic World/Avatar/Gravity was f***ing class (better at cinema of course) as you get 'immersed' in the picture whereas in 2D you lose the depth but also your peripheral vision seems to become smaller.

Even the daft demo 3D stuff is mad as things literally come out of the screen and it feels as if you can reach out and grab it. Aye the novelty wears off or some simply can't get away with it for some reason (eyesight possibly?) but some of the 3D stuff is a 'different world' when you compare it to the 2D version. Best watched in the dark (I do this anyway) due to flicker if surroundings are light and also helps with the immersive feeling.

some great bargains on 3d blu rays in grainger games/cex and ebay

some random ones that are great in 3d

Frozen 3d isn't, but the 3d extra with it ,a little micky mouse short film from the 1930s or something that's amended for 3d had me grinning like a loon, it is just amazing and worth the £6 for the disc alone, it is that good (CEX)

the walk is super

dial m for murder

san andreas is canny

rogue 1 is a waste of time in 3d but the other one is good.

also the great Gatsby about £3 on ebay is brill as is sammys adventure, £3 on ebay

I'm saying that based on older TVs but I have seen the newer ones. Are yours 4K TVs? Do they simply use a alternate pixel lines to produce a 1080p 3D picture whereas a 1080p TV produces a smaller resolution 3D picture?

fenwicks have the 55c6 on display- the reps will demo the 3d if you ask (though most shops seem lothe to mention 3d these days) it is just incredible

I've got the E6, bloody lovely it is.

e6 and g6 tvs are the best,m g6 is the best set in years I think

Last edited:

50".
Despite the increase in screen size there's hardly any difference in overall size compared to my old 42" as that one had a huge border around around the screen whereas this one has hardly any.
Would love to have gone for a bigger one but it'd look daft in the room.

Upgraded from a 42" to a 49" last year - but as its more modern, it has less bezel - so its only a tiny bit wider and actually lower to the table than the old one.

Wish I'd gone for the 55" version of it now for £100 more.

I LOVE 3d, but due to house size limited to 42" ...can get away with a little biggerlike 46/47 but nowhere does them now its 50" only!

love the 55 oleds at work, 3d on it is simply the best picture I have ever seen, cant believe they have ditched it the cretins when there is so much other pap still used.

whats is like on projector in terms of 3d, brightness and definition
My 3d TV was quite old and I had problems like crosstalk and the signal dropping from the glasses for a second or so every now and then. None of this with the projector though. 3d depends on the quality of the content but I think it's more immersive because of the size. Stuff that 'pops out' definitely makes your brain itch. It's brighter than the TV when comparing the same film too. SD stuff can look a bit fuzzy but still perfectly watchable and anything HD or 3d is great.

What model was it if you don't mind me asking and what do you project it on?
Was this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/fan/Optoma-HD141X-Full-HD-3D-1080p-Projector/B00M2YDBXK

Newer model out now though. I just project on to an off white wall.

Last edited:
My 3d TV was quite old and I had problems like crosstalk and the signal dropping from the glasses for a second or so every now and then. None of this with the projector though. 3d depends on the quality of the content but I think it's more immersive because of the size. Stuff that 'pops out' definitely makes your brain itch. It's brighter than the TV when comparing the same film too. SD stuff can look a bit fuzzy but still perfectly watchable and anything HD or 3d is great.

Was this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/fan/Optoma-HD141X-Full-HD-3D-1080p-Projector/B00M2YDBXK

Newer model out now though. I just project on to an off white wall.

I have 2 3d tvs, a Samsung ue40d6510 active, which is brighter/sharper, but gets much worse crosstalk than my passive lg 42la690.

so both mine a bit long in the tooth but cant afford an oled.

still cant decide between passive and active...on an oled, its clear as day, but for led passive is generally better but the odd one looks nicer active I think

42" in the living room, 26" Sanyo with a CRT in the bedroom. It was bought in 2000 and it's being used until it breaks.

I'm saying that based on older TVs but I have seen the newer ones. Are yours 4K TVs? Do they simply use a alternate pixel lines to produce a 1080p 3D picture whereas a 1080p TV produces a smaller resolution 3D picture?

Yeah 4K ones basically give you 1080p in each eye now. So super crisp and unreal depth!

I prefer it to the cinema for sure.

doesn't it have an auto calibration setting on it?

Nah. Paid a pro to do it. Much better results and tailored for your specific set. As all are different. Worth every penny!

Frozen 3d isn't, but the 3d extra with it ,a little micky mouse short film from the 1930s or something that's amended for 3d had me grinning like a loon, it is just amazing and worth the £6 for the disc alone, it is that good (CEX)

This a crappy video quality wise but even so I ripped it at 720p and hoyed it on the TV. The snake at 1 min in this video is class as it's there in front of you and the little character floating in space at 17:30 is just fantastic :lol: :cool:

love the 55 oleds at work, 3d on it is simply the best picture I have ever seen, cant believe they have ditched it the cretins when there is so much other pap still used.

Aye it's a shame as some of the stuff I've watched in 3D at home is a far better experience than simply watching the 2D version. Wasn't one reason due to people not being able to watch it for too long. Is this possibly due to using active glasses with light surroundings for example?

This is why I only watch the 3D stuff at night with lights off as you simply get immersed especially if you've got the sound system to go with it. Jurassic World sounds at times were house shaking in the part where they first see the Indominus rex (hybrid) for example :cool:. People who have huge TVs but then rely on the original TV speakers are sometimes missing quite a lot of sound in comparison to the surround sound systems. I bet the Dolby Atmos setup is class but I won't be getting owt like that just yet.

Even the 2D to 3D conversion isn't bad at times and does sometimes enhance a movie. Anyone I've shown the 3D to on this TV has said it was brilliant. Has anyone else had the same reaction from other people who don't have a 3D TV?

50" and I reckon it's the perfect size for the room. We couldn't go any bigger because of the position of the TV.

We had a 32" when we first moved in - it was perfect in our old house but looked lost in the bigger living room!

Aye it's a shame as some of the stuff I've watched in 3D at home is a far better experience than simply watching the 2D version. Wasn't one reason due to people not being able to watch it for too long. Is this possibly due to using active glasses with light surroundings for example?

This is why I only watch the 3D stuff at night with lights off as you simply get immersed especially if you've got the sound system to go with it. Jurassic World sounds at times were house shaking in the part where they first see the Indominus rex (hybrid) for example :cool:. People who have huge TVs but then rely on the original TV speakers are sometimes missing quite a lot of sound in comparison to the surround sound systems. I bet the Dolby Atmos setup is class but I won't be getting owt like that just yet.

Even the 2D to 3D conversion isn't bad at times and does sometimes enhance a movie. Anyone I've shown the 3D to on this TV has said it was brilliant. Has anyone else had the same reaction from other people who don't have a 3D TV?

agree re lights off.
Have those led striplights behind tv which seems to reduce eye strain for me,1000W 5.1 speakers (I think soundbars are shite) but v v rare I can listen to it with them on due to the young daughter/lack of time with a free house.
I read on a forum that most the 3d blu ray releases don't have dolby atmos sound now, only on the 4k ones, bandits.

V impressed with jurrassic world- the panning out shots of the complex etc are tremendous.

My folks have a sony 55w905 I think, passive one, and they never bothered with 3d, but they watch them with the nephews like jungle book etc and they love it in general now.

Another side to it that was under used was the split screen gaming in passive- a separate screen for each player with the gaming glasses, and with the market for xbox, ps4 it should be massive , but again, reps wont even mention it

Another side to it that was under used was the split screen gaming in passive- a separate screen for each player with the gaming glasses, and with the market for xbox, ps4 it should be massive , but again, reps wont even mention it
That's sound like a great feature. Surely if you wore headphones they could have it so you could also watch 2 TV channels at the same time so no fighting with your lass when she wants Corra on and there's a match on :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's sound like a great feature. Surely if you wore headphones they could have it so you could also watch 2 TV channels at the same time so no fighting with your lass when she wants Corra on and there's a match on :lol:

GAIL PLATT- 3D-

haha well most of them ()your s included can have Bluetooth headphones now, but not sure how many sets, id think just one but not certain.

GAIL PLATT- 3D-

haha well most of them ()your s included can have Bluetooth headphones now, but not sure how many sets, id think just one but not certain.

edit- on the lg you can only use the headphone jack but that is fine if it has a Bluetooth transmitter, but only 1 set of phones a time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back