What shares you buying?

Yeah, in the end they agreed a merger rather than a buy out. CP CEO has been given the contract for the next 4 years

Are you talking about the CP - KCS merger? Because their offer has been topped yesterday or the day before as far as I can see

Are you talking about the CP - KCS merger? Because their offer has been topped yesterday or the day before as far as I can see
Yeah, yesterday that was announced.

It sounds like it’s a reach for CN. Obviously I’m not in the board room so I can only go off what I’m hearing. But the CP/KCS seems to be a better deal for both parties, while the CN offer appears to be CN heavy

Yeah, yesterday that was announced.

It sounds like it’s a reach for CN. Obviously I’m not in the board room so I can only go off what I’m hearing. But the CP/KCS seems to be a better deal for both parties, while the CN offer appears to be CN heavy

I was surprised mind and what you say seemed to be the consensus.

What has happened with today's micro flash-crash, anyone understand it?

Ah, so that's what hit my GME

There's been a few new rules announced recently, and the head of the SEC got the boot iirc. Maybe related to that?

Mind, the folks on the GME reddit pages will say everything is due to their stock, and all the ripples its going to cause :lol: (dumps to raise liquidity to cover shorts etc)

GST, looks promising.
Why? I see no positive news & SP has been in decline since mid Feb peak.
What has happened with today's micro flash-crash, anyone understand it?

I found an explanation today (most of it has bounced bacl already):

What is a flash crash?​

When the stock markets are open, buyers and sellers are constantly trading equities. This includes retail investors, institutional investors, and hedge funds. Nowadays this happens too quickly to comprehend, large numbers of orders take place in fractions of a second. One branch of this is known as high-frequency trading. Powerful computers make the trades, and as prices fluctuate, they’re actioned depending on pre-determined instructions and market conditions. A flash crash is when prices dip exponentially low for a short period.

How does a flash crash happen?​

A discrepancy in high-frequency computer trading leads to a sudden influx of sell orders, which rapidly magnifies price drops causing a flash crash. As the prices dramatically decline, they trigger further stop losses and the situation escalates until buy orders are triggered and the situation reverses. It’s a flash crash rather than a regular stock market crash if the market recovers within several minutes.

Many traders use margin, which means they borrow money to trade, similar to a bank overdraft. The broker has algorithms set up that flag any major losses, automatically closing trades. This is the sort of situation that can exacerbate a flash crash. So, for long-term investors, the occurrence of a flash crash is less of an issue than it can be for day traders.

That’s because long-term investors are much less likely to be trading on margin. Plus, investing for the future means choosing quality companies that stand the test of time. All shares experience some level of volatility, but by focusing on investing in companies with a solid business model and competitive outlook, wealth accumulation is more likely.

The micro flash crash this week is being blamed for an index-wide drop felt across financial markets globally. This included the FTSE 100. It happened around midday in Europe and simultaneously affected the Wall Street futures market in New York. Nevertheless, this is not something I’d worry about as a long-term investor.

Last edited:
One other to keep an eye on is TTG. They manufacture a covid rapid test machine that was supposed to launch in November 20, but has only just been given UK approval. I have a hunch they will be used in airports to support travel and if so their SP will jump. All ifs and maybes.

Adds another element to the mix?

Any mining "experts" on here know if these results for UFO:Alien Metals are good,bad or meh?

@Titus @toxic tracksuit ?

I'm clueless when it comes to that sort of area to be honest mate. I struggle to evaluate them because of how difficult the accounting can be to decipher. Probably need to be involved in the industry or have a good understanding of how different ventures are classified in the accounting etc.

Just been buying up European Carbon Credits instead.

Unrelated but I think BAT might be a good hold over the next few years. Can see dividends going up and currently trading below book value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just been buying up European Carbon Credits instead.

Unrelated but I think BAT might be a good hold over the next few years. Can see dividends going up and currently trading below book value.
BATS? British American Tobacco you mean? I can't bring myself to deal in drugs, plus they have been in decline for years at a greater rate than their dividend, & even if they manage to hook the developing nations onto fags (China already is) I'm back to the moral issue.

BATS? British American Tobacco you mean? I can't bring myself to deal in drugs, plus they have been in decline for years at a greater rate than their dividend, & even if they manage to hook the developing nations onto fags (China already is) I'm back to the moral issue.

Aye that's fair enough mind.

Yeah, I try to not really be too fussed about previous prices when evaluating them. Understand the moral issue totally, but they look a great buy at the moment. Less than book value, good balance sheet, revenues, future projects and similar to alcohol is the sort of business that attracts people very loyal to specific brands. Understand the moral issue totally.

Cannabis will be a sizable venture for them.

I did OK with UFO without really understanding them. A lot of people investing purely because of their name IMO. Can t comment on these results.
Will reiterate Touchstone Exploration (TXP) if you want an exploration punt.
Yeah, got some of them, but doing best 50% in a month, with

Cornish Metals Inc (CUSN)​

my only shares that rose today against the grain of across the board falls.

SPCE at $23.45.

Seeing rumours of a short squeeze and regardless of that, think it's got another few decent rallies in it. Not a long term one for me but especially if there's a short squeeze then wonderful

Back