What shares you buying?

In light of the current decline, what shares are you cutting/selling?

Truth be told any that are above my buy in price that I dont think have much more growth in them are getting sold.

As I'm under 40, i can get one of them lifetime ISA things which the government will top up 25%.

That and overpaying my mortgage are the best investments for me at the minute I think. Guaranteed good returns.

I don't have the time that good share buying requires and if I'm honest for every good buy there is a poor one. I tend to do well if I put a lot of effort in and do the research, but I get bored easy and see an "easy win" then cock up the good investments I make.

Last edited:

Truth be told any that are above my buy in price that I dont think have much more growth in them are getting sold.

As I'm under 40, i can get one of them lifetime ISA things which the government will top up 25%.

That and overpaying my mortgage are the best investments for me at the minute I think. Guaranteed good returns.

I don't have the time that good share buying requires and if I'm honest for every good buy there is a poor one. I tend to do well if I put a lot of effort in and do the research, but I get bored easy and see an "easy win" then cock up and good investments I make.

I can be a bit obsessive and read into things a bit much which is why enjoy it, win or lose. A more productive focus of my energies :lol:

Imo if you're going to spend time use it to learn not just the economic aspect but psychological too, if you can pick things up from someone who has done it for a living then it's a bonus but there's a wealth of resources available. If you beat the returns you receive from interest rates then you're doing alright. A piece of advice I'd offer is don't try to beat the robots in a short time frame, aim for a 3-6 month view

I can be a bit obsessive and read into things a bit much which is why enjoy it, win or lose. A more productive focus of my energies :lol:

Imo if you're going to spend time use it to learn not just the economic aspect but psychological too, if you can pick things up from someone who has done it for a living then it's a bonus but there's a wealth of resources available. If you beat the returns you receive from interest rates then you're doing alright. A piece of advice I'd offer is don't try to beat the robots in a short time frame, aim for a 3-6 month view

Yeah most of the ones I will keep are all long term ones

Aviva I think there is still a bit growth and I live their dividends

Carnival cruise. I think there is still growth in them

Lloyds. Because I'm down a lot but like their dividends

Docusign because I think it's a grower.

The rest will.be sold price depending

I have a couple of things I'm looking to offload but more to do with focusing in on a smaller portfolio than anything drastic (APD, Akamai, Costco, Sage all on the way out price dependent. Having my doubts about peloton and just eat as well but will likely hold those).

Cineworld & Easyjet can go once covid is done. Docusign, Imperial & British Tobacco need a good review.

Looking to buy on the other c40.

The mentality is a big part of it I try to read as much about as possible. Remain calm, ignore things you don't understand just because they're rallying etc. It's actually refreshing that I managed to time something almost perfectly in shorting 4 of my holdings to half value. Obviously I lose money regardless on the way down, but much less than I would and can use that to average down or buy in more at whatever price I seem sensible to do so. Right as I'd decided to do it, I seen Ackman come out and say he was going to short a load of stuff :lol:. Didn't know whether to panic or be more confident

The mentality is a big part of it I try to read as much about as possible. Remain calm, ignore things you don't understand just because they're rallying etc. It's actually refreshing that I managed to time something almost perfectly in shorting 4 of my holdings to half value. Obviously I lose money regardless on the way down, but much less than I would and can use that to average down or buy in more at whatever price I seem sensible to do so. Right as I'd decided to do it, I seen Ackman come out and say he was going to short a load of stuff :lol:. Didn't know whether to panic or be more confident

They're watching you marra, must be getting decent gains... Ackman is using remote viewing to see how you're getting on. At the top of the hedge funds they have access to remote viewers who can actively see what you're doing on a daily basis, algorithms don't have a patch on it ;)

obviously that was a piss take

I’d sold down a fair bit of Scottish Mortgage Investment trust in January but still hold some. They are now trading at a rare 5% discount on the Nav which makes them a little more attractive If you’re looking to buy at the minute.

Lloyds, BP and Rockhopper have been my best starts this year some of my Biotech trusts and stock like EA has done poorly though. I’d mentioned a while back that all the noise was that value investing was coming back into vogue and growth stock like US tech would take a hammering, but at some point that tech stuff will look like decent value again.

They're watching you marra, must be getting decent gains... Ackman is using remote viewing to see how you're getting on. At the top of the hedge funds they have access to remote viewers who can actively see what you're doing on a daily basis, algorithms don't have a patch on it ;)

obviously that was a piss take

:lol:

I use dark theme btw :)

But usually I don't end up following through, or do it too late after the movement has already started. Was good to almost get the timing on point by the looks of it. Not that I had any specific reason to do it exactly when I did, although I'd been certain I'd do it for a few months.
I’d sold down a fair bit of Scottish Mortgage Investment trust in January but still hold some. They are now trading at a rare 5% discount on the Nav which makes them a little more attractive If you’re looking to buy at the minute.

Lloyds, BP and Rockhopper have been my best starts this year some of my Biotech trusts and stock like EA has done poorly though. I’d mentioned a while back that all the noise was that value investing was coming back into vogue and growth stock like US tech would take a hammering, but at some point that tech stuff will look like decent value again.

I think Apple and Google will eventually hit current value anyway before too long even if there is a big crash. Tesla and a few others I would be less confident of

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

I use dark theme btw :)

But usually I don't end up following through, or do it too late after the movement has already started. Was good to almost get the timing on point by the looks of it. Not that I had any specific reason to do it exactly when I did, although I'd been certain I'd do it for a few months.

I think Apple and Google will eventually hit current value anyway before too long even if there is a big crash. Tesla and a few others I would be less confident of

Aye me too, I had to switch it back to light to see if it was the right shade... there'll be some who don't though.

They are quite big in Tesla are they not? Growth a bit skewed imo

They are quite big in Tesla are they not? Growth a bit skewed imo
Yep they’re definitely heavily into Tesla, but the fund is still trading at a discount to asset values which in theory means if everything was sold they’d deliver investors a small profit. That said it could also mean that the market feels it’s got further to drop!

Go ahead group looking good in their H1 report. They were initially up 9% on opening yesterday.

One of just a handful of longterm shares I'm into is Blackbird (cloud video editing software developer and seller) Cloud Video Editing - Rapidly View, Edit, Publish - Blackbird Video‎

Signing some impressive longterm deals w/w and have had an ex Google Cloud exec on the board since June who says they're bringing in far more leads than ever before. Current clients include Tata Comms, US Democratic Party, Sky News Arabia, National Hockey League, Liverpool FC, Arsenal FC - plus it's a highly scaleable business.
Blackbird finally flying. Been an interesting watch this and looks like more to come when the results come out in a couple of weeks.

Put most of our savings into shares after market started to recover in September, didn't have access earlier which was a shame. Looked for companies that were doing well and should continue or do well after things eased off on COVID, but a mixed bag to spread the risk. the portfolio is up nearly 40% on when I bought, but I'm thinking its time to exit on some of them. Wetherspoons, IHG, SSE, Tesco. Any advice?

Put most of our savings into shares after market started to recover in September, didn't have access earlier which was a shame. Looked for companies that were doing well and should continue or do well after things eased off on COVID, but a mixed bag to spread the risk. the portfolio is up nearly 40% on when I bought, but I'm thinking its time to exit on some of them. Wetherspoons, IHG, SSE, Tesco. Any advice?
Trust your own instincts. No-one who knows any more than you is going to tell you for free.

If you want to cash in now do it.

You are the only one who knows your attitude to risk.

It all boils down to your long term financial goals, are you looking for growth or income?

It's all a punt, DYOR.

Trust your own instincts. No-one who knows any more than you is going to tell you for free.

If you want to cash in now do it.

You are the only one who knows your attitude to risk.

It all boils down to your long term financial goals, are you looking for growth or income?

It's all a punt, DYOR.

Cheers, I wondered if anyone would react with an 'Eek - you've got money in X'. They all seem sound enough long term, though Wetherspoons is far from popular with the 'experts' and there is rumours of them closing a lot of outlets. Might cash in on that one!

Back