What shares you buying?

First, it's brilliant that you're looking at investing, especially for the future of young'uns.

However, in an index tracker you're talking about daily market changes in something where you should be in it for 5-10 years. If it's up 10% today and down 60% the next day, week, month it really doesn't matter.

Index trackers, like the one you've spoken about, are fantastic wrappers for investing. They're low cost, reflect the market and diversify risk. I know fuck all about companies, so I stay away from specific shares, but index trackers give me an easy and hassle free way to invest. Honestly, in my opinion unless you're capping the ISA stocks and shares tax limit of £20k a year there's no point doing anything else unless it's specifically just for curiosity.
Something I might have to get comfortable with, going to give it a couple of weeks to before I make my mind up. Cheers

First, it's brilliant that you're looking at investing, especially for the future of young'uns.

However, in an index tracker you're talking about daily market changes in something where you should be in it for 5-10 years. If it's up 10% today and down 60% the next day, week, month it really doesn't matter.

Index trackers, like the one you've spoken about, are fantastic wrappers for investing. They're low cost, reflect the market and diversify risk. I know fuck all about companies, so I stay away from specific shares, but index trackers give me an easy and hassle free way to invest. Honestly, in my opinion unless you're capping the ISA stocks and shares tax limit of £20k a year there's no point doing anything else unless it's specifically just for curiosity.

Index trackers are the way to go - Why a total world equity index tracker is the only index fund you need

I have 40% of my SIPP in this fund:
  • Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF (VWRL)
  • Low charges - 0.22%
  • 3,900 companies
  • 50 different countries
  • Can't get any more diversified than this...
  • Just invest monthly, sit back, and don't worry about it...

A good website to give you a starter portfolio (or an idea of what one should look like) is:
  • JustETF
  • Use the "Strategy Builder"

Last edited:
Index trackers are the way to go - Why a total world equity index tracker is the only index fund you need

• Low charges - 0.22%
  • 3,900 companies
  • 50 different countries

A good website to give you a starter portfolio (or an idea of what one should look like) is:
  • JustETF

Completely agree. The only thing you need to think about really with an index tracker is whether or not to switch to less riskier packages the older you get, the rest is so much more straightforward than direct trading.

Passive index trackers, making the most of pension contribution benefits and (if possible / applicable) overpaying on mortgage. Job done for the majority of people, including me, for strong and long-term saving.

The market is unpredictable and you are at the mercy of world events.

Just buy a dog instead or spend your money and enjoy it - we are here for such a short length of time.

Completely agree. The only thing you need to think about really with an index tracker is whether or not to switch to less riskier packages the older you get, the rest is so much more straightforward than direct trading.

Passive index trackers, making the most of pension contribution benefits and (if possible / applicable) overpaying on mortgage. Job done for the majority of people, including me, for strong and long-term saving.

And even then, Vanguard do Target Retirement funds whereby as the risk gradually reduces the closer you are to your chosen date. So you don't need to think about switching to less riskier investments.

If you were just starting out with a few small investments for a bit of fun although might become serious in future, are there any apps you'd suggest?

I'm thinking sticking a hundred or so quid on the stock market every other week would be more useful than gambling every now and then
I’ve done this with 212 for the fun element.

Has anyone here looked into investing in cask whisky as a medium to long term investment ?
At what age should someone be looking to either start a pension fund or investing ?

At what age should someone be looking to either start a pension fund or investing ?
At the earliest opportunity you can. Compound interest is magical.

Starting a pension or investing are two subtly different things.

The best time to buy shares is today. You'll never time the market so you just have to buy and forget.

If you are the right age the Lifetime ISA was a no-brainer. So good they stopped it.

Mind send it to the right Marcus though :lol:

• Low charges - 0.22%
  • 3,900 companies
  • 50 different countries

• JustETF

Will have a look at that

Last edited:
Has anyone here looked into investing in cask whisky as a medium to long term investment ?

Pension fund? As early as you start earning.

Investing in other things? As early as you possibly can, which includes overpaying your mortgage where possible.

I realise that's not realistic for some people.

Never seen the appeal in having to go out morning and night to spend the time picking up shit with a polythene bag.
That is a tiny part of owning a dog. What you get as a pet owner from your dogs makes up ten times for the small task of picking up a bit of shit.

Or in my case two lots of massive shits. Sometimes I do get a bit cockly if I've been on the drink and both of them give it up big style.

Apologies to the more cockly members of the board.

That is a tiny part of owning a dog. What you get as a pet owner from your dogs makes up ten times for the small task of picking up a bit of shit.

Or in my case two lots of massive shits. Sometimes I do get a bit cockly if I've been on the drink and both of them give it up big style.

Apologies to the more cockly members of the board.

Picking up a couple of turds a day is definitely well worth it for how much they give you.

Although I had my lasses parents dog the other weekend and he decided to fully roll himself through a massive sheep turd around Derwent Reservoir way which made me question wanting one of my own :lol:

Had to dump him in the water and wash him before allowing him back in the car. And I'm not precious about the car, just didn't want to vomit whilst driving :lol:

Picking up a couple of turds a day is definitely well worth it for how much they give you.

Although I had my lasses parents dog the other weekend and he decided to fully roll himself through a massive sheep turd around Derwent Reservoir way which made me question wanting one of my own :lol:

Had to dump him in the water and wash him before allowing him back in the car. And I'm not precious about the car, just didn't want to vomit whilst driving :lol:
Oh dear that sounds delightful

Buying whisky as an investment is a bad idea. There are a huge number of new whisky distilleries and many of the major distilleries have announced significant increases in production over the last year or two. In 10 years the market will be awash with whisky. I’ve got a couple of casks and cask shares but they’re not for investment purposes.

Back