What shares you buying?

YTD I'm down about 5% which isn't too bad considering everything that's happening

Most of my investments are in funds rather than individual shares which helps minimise the disasters.

5% down is great really, especially for funds. Major indices in Europe and north America seem to be 16-20% down. FTSE out performing due to the composition of the index.

5% down is great really, especially for funds. Major indices in Europe and north America seem to be 16-20% down. FTSE out performing due to the composition of the index.

Yeah, the US markets have been out-performing the UK for the last few years but this year it's the other way around. US still miles ahead over 3, 5 and 10 years.

I'm long term as well, but if I see clear opportunities to hedge effectively I will do so to scrape a few extra % per year. Doesn't half compound.

Bit of an off tangent. But I have been listening to a pod cast on speed.

ABout 15 mins, in moves to some of the fastest speeds achieved, and it's the algorithms for stock exchanges. Buying, selling, cancelling,putting feelers out working in bursts at about 500 billionth of a second and how since the invention of the telegraph, there is a constant speeds arms race. Found it fascinating.

Last edited:
I invest in around 15 funds these days, from Japanese small companies (way down) to mining (way up). 6.5% down overall YTD - no intention of drawing on the funds for years yet.

Aren't they valued at something like 10 times more than the next six car companies combined?

Way overvalued. Didn't musk cash a load out to "buy" twitter
Aren't most big car companies littered with bankrupties and laden with horrendous debts though?

ABout 15 mins, in moves to some of the fastest speeds achieved, and it's the algorithms for stock exchanges. Buying, selling, cancelling,putting feelers out working in bursts at about 500 billionth of a second and how since the invention of the telegraph, there is a constant speeds arms race. Found it fascinating.

There's a canny Tom Scott video about it all.

Look at stuff like payment for order flow etc. Essentially high frequency traders entering in and out of positions quick time before the person's position is filled

Look at stuff like payment for order flow etc. Essentially <CRIME>
Tidied.

Its almost funny how you see companies object to it in the strongest terms, until a few years down the line, and they get into it themselves, then suddenly they lobby in favour.
I wonder why that might be :)

Tidied.

Its almost funny how you see companies object to it in the strongest terms, until a few years down the line, and they get into it themselves, then suddenly they lobby in favour.
I wonder why that might be :)

It's definitely morally wrong

Whereabouts do you work mate? I grew up (and still work) in Royston and there’s a massive JM plant here. I was tattooing a scientist from there the other day and he said his contract and a load of others run out next year as they are moving away from whatever the hell it is they do (something to do with catalysts I think).
Royston has our Clean Air division, ie making catalytic converters for cars. So after 2030 when petrol diesel cars are phased out the market for these will slowly die off. It'll take a while, cos other countries around the world will still have a market for a while, but it's a sign of the times really.

Back