What % of household income

We just have a joint account. Both wages go in and we buy what we want really. Can’t say it’s ever caused problems either

How we've always worked, never argue about money. Couldn't be arsed with the fuck on of separate accounts and you pay for this and I'll pay for that and I earn x% and you earn y%. What's mine is hers and what's hers is mine, and I know it's odd these days but we get by pretty well by trusting one another.

How we've always worked, never argue about money. Couldn't be arsed with the fuck on of separate accounts and you pay for this and I'll pay for that and I earn x% and you earn y%. What's mine is hers and what's hers is mine, and I know it's odd these days but we get by pretty well by trusting one another.

Shite not having your own account (as well as a joint) for things like birthdays, surprise trips etc.

Shite not having your own account (as well as a joint) for things like birthdays, surprise trips etc.

Never been an issue for us in 28 years of being together. At most if we were planning something like that we might say don't look too close at the online banking for a week or two, but it's not like we're in checking statements all the time anyway, I probably wouldn't notice. But when I hear a lot of people talk, if they're being honest their main reason for having a separate account isn't that, it's that they don't trust their partner or they're resentful because there's a differential in earnings. Not saying our approach is the right one for everyone else, but we know what's worked for us.

Never been an issue for us in 28 years of being together. At most if we were planning something like that we might say don't look too close at the online banking for a week or two, but it's not like we're in checking statements all the time anyway, I probably wouldn't notice. But when I hear a lot of people talk, if they're being honest their main reason for having a separate account isn't that, it's that they don't trust their partner or they're resentful because there's a differential in earnings. Not saying our approach is the right one for everyone else, but we know what's worked for us.

You could be right but that's not our case. As I've said, I earn a canny bit more than her now but we still get the same amount of money each to flatten (only fair, she probably works harder than me) and the rest goes in the joint/savings.

This thread has made me realise how happy I am being single to be honest. I'm proper old fashioned and when I was married I gave my wife every penny i earned, my pay even went direct to her bank account. The truth is I hate money, I think it's evil and causes no amount of grief and I was quite happy going to work and giving it all to her.

Now that we've split up I'm still not arsed about money at all, I get paid in my bank now and just do what i want when I want. I'll never have another relationship, not interested at all in all that carry on so will be happy for the rest of my life just having my money in my bank and looking after me and my son.

This thread has made me realise how happy I am being single to be honest. I'm proper old fashioned and when I was married I gave my wife every penny i earned, my lay even went direct to her bank account. The truth is I hate money, I think it's evil and causes no amount of grief and I was quite happy going to work and giving it all to her.

Now that we've split up I'm still not arsed about money at all, I get paid in my bank now and just do what i want when I want. I'll never have another relationship, not interested at all in all that carry on so will be happy for the rest of my life just having my money in my bank and looking after me and my son.

You may have split up as you basically had a mother and son/lodger set up.

Glad you're happy though, said before, now you get to have a few days playing parent and a few days doing whatever you please.

You may have split up as you basically had a mother and son set up.
Not sure to be honest. I done everything with the kids, worked 10hrs a day and i loved my life. She has a few mates who are single mams and I think she just admired their lifestyle and wanted it, she's got 2 kids by 2 dad's so is raking in maintenance, child benefit, cheaper council tax etc.. I have my son all weekend so she has them free. I'm very happy where I am now, to be truthful when I look back I think I just fell in love with a selfish wrongun who only cares for herself.

Not sure to be honest. I done everything with the kids, worked 10hrs a day and i loved my life. She has a few mates who are single mams and I think she just admired their lifestyle and wanted it, she's got 2 kids by 2 dad's so is raking in maintenance, child benefit, cheaper council tax etc.. I have my son all weekend so she has them free. I'm very happy where I am now, to be truthful when I look back I think I just fell in love with a selfish wrongun who only cares for herself.

Fair play marra. My edit sort of agreed tbf.

That is normal to me have a joint account only and money goes in and comes out of there - I find it strange that couples have separate accounts and put x% in a joint account for bills etc. I guess everyone is different but the way you do it is the right way for me

I just like having my own money, that way there never will be an issue as to what I spend or what on. Also if I want to treat her it’s my treat and not half her money

I earn over a grand more than her a month, but our money is just pooled into the joint account and everything took out of there. All bill's, DD's and savings for the kids come out soon after pay day and the rest is left for us to spend as we see fit. Works well for us, but I am the only one out of my group of mates that has this set up so we are the odd ones out.

Both earn the same. Both worked for over 20 years. Saving for her to retire early
:lol::lol::lol:

She will outlive you by 4 or 5 years as well. Tell her to fuck off and work another year. Life is for living now not sitting at home when you are old.

Currently negotiating with my other half pre moving in.

We are at a brick wall frankly. I’d be moving in to her kip, which she has stated is staying in her name and in the event of us finishing would be her kip and I’d have no hold over it etc.

No problem there for me, however in her head she still expected that because I earned more than her I’d pay a higher percentage of the bills, including towards her mortgage.

Got a feeling getting the Good Friday agreement over the line was easier than this is going to be.
Don't bother mate. It's not going to last.

Last edited:
Currently negotiating with my other half pre moving in.

We are at a brick wall frankly. I’d be moving in to her kip, which she has stated is staying in her name and in the event of us finishing would be her kip and I’d have no hold over it etc.

No problem there for me, however in her head she still expected that because I earned more than her I’d pay a higher percentage of the bills, including towards her mortgage.

Got a feeling getting the Good Friday agreement over the line was easier than this is going to be.
good luck. me and soon to be ex (no) are in the process of splitting up because of something similar.

I earn over a grand more than her a month, but our money is just pooled into the joint account and everything took out of there. All bill's, DD's and savings for the kids come out soon after pay day and the rest is left for us to spend as we see fit. Works well for us, but I am the only one out of my group of mates that has this set up so we are the odd ones out.
I don't think you are alone in doing it this way, its what we do as well. Yes we have our own ISAs and she has another account but from a daily living angle it works well.

Back