What % of household income

Currently negotiating with my other half pre moving in.

We are at a brick wall frankly. I’d be moving in to her kip, which she has stated is staying in her name and in the event of us finishing would be her kip and I’d have no hold over it etc.

No problem there for me, however in her head she still expected that because I earned more than her I’d pay a higher percentage of the bills, including towards her mortgage.

Got a feeling getting the Good Friday agreement over the line was easier than this is going to be.

Give ourselves 600 notes a month each to spend on shite/piss up the wall and the rest all goes in the joint pot and savings. She earns quite a bit less these days so majority of the joint is from me. Don't mind though, I do fuck all round the house etc.

Similar to this for me, but nearer 400pm each which I usually go a bit over.

She can't work full time as we need one of us to be flexible for school pickups etc, so cos of this our money is pooled even though I earn more which is fair enough.

We are at a brick wall frankly. I’d be moving in to her kip, which she has stated is staying in her name and in the event of us finishing would be her kip and I’d have no hold over it etc.

No problem there for me, however in her head she still expected that because I earned more than her I’d pay a higher percentage of the bills, including towards her mortgage.

Got a feeling getting the Good Friday agreement over the line was easier than this is going to be.

My starting point here, as a woman, is that if the house is completely in her name and you have no hold over it, then the fairest option is for you to pay rent to her via a proper rent book, in exactly the same way as if you were renting a room with a stranger.

Utility bills should be split equally between you as you are both responsible for them. Food costs should also be split equally.

Improvements to the house, maintenance of the property and purchase of new items should be her sole responsibility. You might also drop into negotiations the fact that if you contribute to those items you will legally gain a hold over the property. It won’t be her decision, the law will back you up. The size of your income has nothing to do with it.

Once bills, nursery fees, savings, petrol and food are covered we leave 200quid a week each - needless to say she'll have most of it left cos I get stung whenever we go out etc

My starting point here, as a woman, is that if the house is completely in her name and you have no hold over it, then the fairest option is for you to pay rent to her via a proper rent book, in exactly the same way as if you were renting a room with a stranger.

Utility bills should be split equally between you as you are both responsible for them. Food costs should also be split equally.

Improvements to the house, maintenance of the property and purchase of new items should be her sole responsibility. You might also drop into negotiations the fact that if you contribute to those items you will legally gain a hold over the property. It won’t be her decision, the law will back you up. The size of your income has nothing to do with it.

The most likely outcome is I’m not moving in with her to be honest.

Don't contribute to a house(other than bills) that you'll have no claim to , or if you feel generous pay her partial rent as you are living in "her" house.

If you're paying towards mortgage then you're building a share of equity.

We go halfs on the bills except mortgage which as its my house i pay all of it, and i pay for general maintenance of house. So if there is a breakup she's got no claim on it. Equally she's got a few previous debts which as im not responsible for so dont contribute to.

Personally think yours is taking the piss. Once you get married & have kids then goal posts do shift, and wouldnt have any problem paying a higher % if she wanted to go p/t to look after kids etc

If you're paying towards mortgage then you're building a share of equity.

We go halfs on the bills except mortgage which as its my house i pay all of it, and i pay for general maintenance of house. So if there is a breakup she's got no claim on it. Equally she's got a few previous debts which as im not responsible for so dont contribute to.

Personally think yours is taking the piss. Once you get married & have kids then goal posts do shift, and wouldnt have any problem paying a higher % if she wanted to go p/t to look after kids etc

She’s trying to, but it’s not going to happen on those terms. Long way to go in sorting it all out one way or the other.

Nah that’s not acceptable , was in a similar position when Wilfy moved in - he paid me board effectively til we moved into new house and got papers drawn up stating how much of the equity was mine - now 50/50 regardless of what we’re earning at the time

Back