What kind of film genre do you tend to avoid?

American comedies - not funny and that takes in all the actors as well.
All this fantasy marvel comic rubbish - modern day westerns like when they churned out so many in the 40s and 50s and most of them were rubbish.
Musicals - or my Dad used to call them singing pictures. Dire.
Romcoms - are you taking the $%^& - absolute rubbish.

I like classic films from war to comedy to historical dramas to horror - that have stood the test of time. God I am boring.
Nothing wrong with classic films. I recently watched The 39 Steps for the umpteenth time, The Big Sleep and The Thin Man. :cool:

Which version did you watch though?
The black and white one is the best but the second Technicolor one is canny too imo

Robert Donat's 1939 version is the best.

Oh, and I have never seen any comedy in Woody Allen films.

Last edited:
Which version did you watch though?
The black and white one is the best but the second Technicolor one is canny too imo
Ah you mean the Mitchum version? I love black and white Bob but not so much his colour films. I thought he was a bit too old for the role. So b+w for me. Never mind Bogey and Bacall, I thought Bogey and Dorothy Malone fairly sizzled in their scenes.

Ah...you mean the 39 Steps. The original is the best not the Robert Powell or Kenneth More versions imo.

Last edited:
Ah you mean the Mitchum version? I love black and white Bob but not so much his colour films. I thought he was a bit too old for the role. So b+w for me. Never mind Bogey and Bacall, I thought Bogey and Dorothy Malone fairly sizzled in their scenes.

Ah...you mean the 39 Steps. The original is the best not the Robert Powell or Kenneth More versions imo.

As much as I love Bob Mitchum he was a hiding to nothing playing Marlowe in the Big Sleep when he was 60 in a Michael Winner production that they shifted from LA to London. His version of Farewell My Lovely a few years earlier was ok but too stripped down and not a patch on Dick Powell in the 40s. What would have been good would have been him doing The Long Goodbye in the 50s with a Nick Ray or a Lumet.

If I may I would make a case for some colour Mitchum with The Yakuza, and some colour Marlowe with the TV series Marlowe Private Eye with Powers Boothe.

Superhero films are shite.
Never get to watch horror films anymore as my fiancé flat out refuses, and fuck watching scary films on my own.

Back