What kind of birds do you see in your garden?

Could be, I had to zoom in as it was a bit far away so the pic isnt the best.

The pic was taken at the little pond at St Benedicts Hospice in Ryhope

Also how do you add a pic on here as I've added an album

Bastard Cormorants everywhere inland now.
Chiffchaff in our front garden tother day.

Rare in the Winter as most will migrate.
saw a male blackcap in garden yesterday , hadn't seen one for a while

Lovely birds. One on the side of the bird bath a few weeks ago.
One of my favourite sounds of Spring. Plenty around here that migrate back to the UK. Very difficult to see through the dense hedgerows but they have such a distinctive warbling call.
My Mrs (No) really getting into the bird photography.
This was one of the pair that nested and reared young in our garden in spring least year. Regular visitor to the bird table and hoping they nest in the box again.
Lovely photo that captures their movement.

Logon or register to see this image

It’s a Nuthatch.
https://postimg.cc/crJd4Mfy

Last edited:
You must be close to me?
Nice picture! I am in Southeast London, and also an idiot... The woodpecker I see is the great spotted not the lesser spotted.
Never seen a Jay ,thats cool
The Jays near me (Southeast) are the first time I have seen them semi-regularly.
There was a pair that I saw near the old railway lines near South Hylton years ago but other than those I don't think I saw any in the Northeast.

Last edited:
Nice picture! I am in Southeast London, and also an idiot... The woodpecker I see is the great spotted not the lesser spotted.

The Jays near me (Southeast) are the first time I have seen them semi-regularly.
There was a pair that I saw near the old railway lines near South Hylton years ago but other than those I don't think I saw any in the Northeast.
Lots of birdlife and London, and your right, Jay's used to be quite rare in Hylton woods, I used to spend most of my time in them as a kid 👍

Incredible birds are Jays.
They are the look out guards of the Woodland.
They are the first to spot danger, albeit a dog or Human and will warn the surrounding area with their distinctive alarm call, like a fox bark.
Many years back in my shooting days I would be concealed in a hide and hear a Jay call. Always knew something was going on. Usually 5 minutes later a dog walker or farmer would appear in the distance.
A few around here.
The Countryfolk of old would like to have one of their beautiful blue feathers on the side of their hat.

Last edited:
Bastard Cormorants everywhere inland now.

Rare in the Winter as most will migrate.

Lovely birds. One on the side of the bird bath a few weeks ago.
One of my favourite sounds of Spring. Plenty around here that migrate back to the UK. Very difficult to see through the dense hedgerows but they have such a distinctive warbling call.
My Mrs (No) really getting into the bird photography.
This was one of the pair that nested and reared young in our garden in spring least year. Regular visitor to the bird table and hoping they nest in the box again.
Lovely photo that captures their movement.

It’s a Nuthatch.
https://postimg.cc/crJd4Mfy

Bonny little thing.

We put bird seed out with meal worms but only get spuggies and wood pigeons.

saw first ducklings of season today on Wansbeck, 12 in one brood, mutha and fatha shepherding them along. Smallest ones I've ever seen, must have just hatched in last 7 days

Must have been tough with the recent cold snap.
Saw a Song Thrush collecting worms yesterday thus will have a nest.
They can often lay eggs in late February, just before the Blackbird that starts in March.
Lovely Evening song at this time of year.
Mr Bullfinch and his Mrs are now making regular appearances at the feeders which is lovely to see.

Stunning birds.
Always stick in their pair. Unlike our Central defenders.

Last edited:
Incredible birds are Jays.
They are the look out guards of the Woodland.
They are the first to spot danger, albeit a dog or Human and will warn the surrounding area with their distinctive alarm call, like a fox bark.
Many years back in my shooting days I would be concealed in a hide and hear a Jay call. Always knew something was going on. Usually 5 minutes later a dog walker or farmer would appear in the distance.
A few around here.
The Countryfolk of old would like to have one of their beautiful blue feathers on the side of their hat.
My uncle reckoned jays and crows could tell the difference between his shooting stick and his gun. If he went out walking with just the stick all calm but alarm calls and agitated when he had the gun. Clever buggers Corvids.

Had some great ones in the last week. Blue tits and great tits are really common here. Got a pair of chaffinches building a nest in the top of our conifer but also snapped a greenfinch last week. Saw a coal tit and a load of long tail tits in the back garden on Friday. Got snaps that are good enough to identify them but not good enough to share.

Love the woodpigeons, magpies and herring gulls can fuck off, blue tits, goldfinches but only for a milisecond. Sparrow hawk occasionally which is cool but it annihilated a wood pigeon last year in the back garden the bastard.

Back