What kind of birds do you see in your garden?

Home Bargains have 12.5kg bags of wild bird seed on for £4.79.

At that price it's not going to be brilliant and may well have some sprouty stuff in it, but that is as cheap as chips.

I've just put a load out as ground feed and I'll report back with my customers' reaction.
Saw that the other day when I was in but the stuff they had out looked like it had a lot of wheat and barley in it. Pigeons and Doves will hoover that up but the tits and finches seem to throw the wheat on the deck whilst sifting for tastier morsels like Sunflower hearts etc.

Stay away from those fat balls they sell in those places also as they contain next to no suet/fat content and it looks like they bulk them out with sawdust :(

Best tip I can give you bird lovers is get some blocks of cheap lard and bags of the most basic plain flour and make your own fat balls and suet cakes. Block of lard gently melted (not boiling) in a pan with about a third quantity of water. You'll need about 2/3 of a bag of flour but add gradually. You can even add other bits like old porridge oats, stale cheese, seeds and nuts.
We keep a stock in the freezer and just get them out when we need them.

Your birds will love you for it ;)
Note:
They can go rancid quick if put out in the summer. We only ever feed fat in winter so 'shelf life' is extended.

Cheaper than buying fat balls and so, so much better.

Over that cold snap I was thowing out a bag of suet pellets every day.
At one point counted 16 Blackbirds at once. They definitely get used to it.
I now have a pair of Pied Wagtails and a Robin that watch me through the window and then watch me come out through the patio door. They are watching me from the roof.
As soon as I put a few bits down for them they are on it within seconds.
Lovely watching them.
Long Tailed Tits and Goldcrests visiting daily, the Yew tree a favourite haunt for The Goldcrest pair.
Saw that the other day when I was in but the stuff they had out looked like it had a lot of wheat and barley in it. Pigeons and Doves will hoover that up but the tits and finches seem to throw the wheat on the deck whilst sifting for tastier morsels like Sunflower hearts etc.

Stay away from those fat balls they sell in those places also as they contain next to no suet/fat content and it looks like they bulk them out with sawdust :(

Best tip I can give you bird lovers is get some blocks of cheap lard and bags of the most basic plain flour and make your own fat balls and suet cakes. Block of lard gently melted (not boiling) in a pan with about a third quantity of water. You'll need about 2/3 of a bag of flour but add gradually. You can even add other bits like old porridge oats, stale cheese, seeds and nuts.
We keep a stock in the freezer and just get them out when we need them.

Your birds will love you for it ;)
Note:
They can go rancid quick if put out in the summer. We only ever feed fat in winter so 'shelf life' is extended.

Cheaper than buying fat balls and so, so much better.

Never use bird feed with Wheat and Barley it just gets left and grows as weeds.

Best make I can recommend is:
Robin and songbird mix and sunflower kernels from the same Company Johnston & Jeff. I buy a bulk bag from my local pet shop.
Birds leave nothing and no mess.
The Robin and Songbird mix has dried mealworm in it, grounded nut and sunflower kernels. Recommend it.

Suet pellets are superb.
These from unipet (Available from pet shops, Amazon) well recommended.

Last edited:
Is it not a cormorant 1more?I took this heron pic near Heathrow.
Logon or register to see this image
Could be, I had to zoom in as it was a bit far away so the pic isnt the best.

The pic was taken at the little pond at St Benedicts Hospice in Ryhope

Also how do you add a pic on here as I've added an album

Last edited:

Back