What is the secret sauce behind the SMB?

A lot of football forums tend to die on their arse after a while, but the SMB has maintained its core user base and kept growing and growing. Why do we think our little corner of the internet so successful compared to other footy messageboards?

Stockholm Syndrome.

People on here are first class, some are first class idiots and we all accept we can take our turn at that without concern .
It's personal enough to feel you know people's ' character ' and big enough to sack off the real nuggets.
Amazing what people know and do on here from brickies to doctors, mums to mechanics and authors to company directors, very few of whom see their status as giving them anymore clout than any other member or see disagreement as a cause for bitterness .
Nice place that keeps rolling with the personal folly that is SAFC as the glue.

If you need an answer to the question check out the Gold Forum. Buses to Sunderland from Peterlee, some bloke in America and various other random threads.
This is what keeps this place going.

It's been my go to place for comfort and release through some dark times. My two week stay care of St Mary's hospital in that London, for example, was made all the better for being able to waffle on about it on here. I could only shuffle about a bit on the hospital bed using alternate arse cheeks, heels and palms as my middle was obliterated. And I was fastened by a lot of tubes. Some to put stuff in, some to drain things out. It was all quite the painful experience.

But I could muse on here and it felt like talking to my family.

I'm still grateful.

A lot of football forums tend to die on their arse after a while, but the SMB has maintained its core user base and kept growing and growing. Why do we think our little corner of the internet so successful compared to other footy messageboards?
I think it's down to our fan's being scattered all over the world and craving like minded company and banter. Possibly the only positive by product of Thatcher and Tebbitt.

Back