What is it with telesales jobs in large offices and call-centres?

Ben Gardner

Winger
Whether it's ResQ, Citi, Barclays, 2 Touch, Northumbrian Water, Royal Mail, BT ... they're all a bit shit in varying degrees (and I've worked in them all)
Middle-managers get absolutely high as a kite on the power given to them, despite having no experience whatsoever in man-management.

They get promoted on the strength of a few decent months' sales and licking the arse of HR at the right time. Nepotism also helps.
These same bosses twist on about the pressure they get from above, and blame the plebs if he/she can't run a team.

They act like your best mate when you've had a good month and you're wanted on THEIR team, stab you in the back when the heat is on.
Reach for company manual and quote policy ad verbatim when they can't even understand a word of it.

I always did quite well in call-centres but - this may surprise you - my bad attitude let me down.
I wonder of my experience matches that of others..

• Barclays - great training, decent basic but poor commission structure. Most managers on power trips.
  • 2 Touch - good money if you graft but nepotism was rife. High staff turnover, now known as something else.
  • Northumbrian Water - good training, poor money, awful to get to.
  • Citi - nepotism central (long-gone after the worldwide financial crisis)
  • Royal Mail - the boredom makes you yawn so much, people think you're crying.
  • BT - as above, but this was in the days of 192 so you'd expect little else.
  • ResQ - .....poor management at all levels and little fascists getting the plum jobs. Two sisters that do the training were hot AF though.

You’ve just described pretty much every office everywhere
Probably this although the descriptions in the OP sound at the more extreme end of the scale. I've never worked in a Call Centre but, by their nature, I'd expect them to be difficult places for work satisfaction.

Enjoyed working in call centers, that was more to do with being in my late teens/early 20s and working with a decent group of people than the job.

it's certainly more for the younguns like.
Having said that, the bairms need to know that work and work-life is certainly NOT like that in general!
Going straight from school or college into that kind of environment must be a shock and a real let-down.

Back