What have you achieved in your life?

I’ve never really compared myself to others and I only compete against myself.

I set myself achievable targets as I do try to improve as a person over time.

If I died tonight then I’d be content. Not that I want to.
That my outlook too about being content with how you’ve lived your life up to this point.
I’ve been a father, a grandfather, a leader and follower. I don’t blush when I go to the cash point either, but don’t do cartwheels either.

Yes, maybe I make the mistake of looking up from the path to see the destination and immediately wander from the path. Through my life I could have made greater conscious effort but sometimes I think that once you have the cognitive realisation that "it" is within you, then the stream will carry you forward even if you decide to make it harder for yourself at times. I can see "it" in others a lot of the time and as Ram Dass (Richard Alpert) once said, See everyone else as God in drag. ;)

Krishna said in the Gita that even in the last moment, the last breath, someone can enter Satchitanand (Ocean of Truth, Consciousness and Bliss). He said, In your darkest, darkest hour, remember me and I will be there. I am not a Hare Krishna follower or devotee but he is also called The Lord of Yoga so maybe there is hope for us all yet.
I'm kinda with Krishna on that .Many things have to happen and be 'known' to allow it, but the final breath 'letting go' is still the opportunity . Good luck for then .

:lol: Your edited version is closer to the truth.
That my outlook too about being content with how you’ve lived your life up to this point.
I’ve been a father, a grandfather, a leader and follower. I don’t blush when I go to the cash point either, but don’t do cartwheels either.
It’s an interesting point about money. I am considering a bit of a downsize in life yet it’s nice to not have to worry too much about being able to afford small luxuries.

I have been skint at times in my life so it’s a balancing act. There is something satisfying about not desiring a new car, fancy clothes, latest phone etc. Yet it’s still reassuring that I could buy those things outright if I wanted to.

Last edited:
:lol: Your edited version is closer to the truth.

It’s an interesting point about money. I am considering a bit of a downsize in life yet it’s nice to not have to worry too much about being able to afford small luxuries.

I have been skint at times in my life so it’s a balancing act. There is something satisfying about not desiring a new car, fancy clothes, latest phone etc. Yet it’s still reassuring that I could buy those things outright if I wanted to.

I’m unsure if your reply worked? I was looking forward to reading it!
I deleted it Marra because I accidentally replied to the wrong thread.

Even before this lockdown, coming to the end of 2 quite different, but equally rewarding and challenging careers, along with having a couple of exhilarating grandchildren, I had already come to terms with what is most important in life.

I have brought up 2 children to have a strong moral compass and a good work ethic and they are now passing that on to the next generation. I have also done the same for probably over 1000 young people in education too.

I always thought I’d want to go into an activity filled retirement, maybe riding a motorbike across America or something and I still might do that. Now though I’d be more than happy to just get by and to be able to visit and spend quality time with family and friends.

I did the hard yards over a long period and my public sector pensions should see me ok, unless the economic fallout even affects those. My family also earned those pensions and at times was even harder for them than it was for me, with my constant absence on multiple 6 month unaccompanied tours on active service and extended exercises in the field for them to cope with with.

I deleted it Marra because I accidentally replied to the wrong thread.

Even before this lockdown, coming to the end of 2 quite different, but equally rewarding and challenging careers, along with having a couple of exhilarating grandchildren, I had already come to terms with what is most important in life.

I have brought up 2 children to have a strong moral compass and a good work ethic and they are now passing that on to the next generation. I have also done the same for probably over 1000 young people in education too.

I always thought I’d want to go into an activity filled retirement, maybe riding a motorbike across America or something and I still might do that. Now though I’d be more than happy to just get by and to be able to visit and spend quality time with family and friends.

I did the hard yards over a long period and my public sector pensions should see me ok, unless the economic fallout even affects those. My family also earned those pensions and at times was even harder for them than it was for me, with my constant absence on multiple 6 month unaccompanied tours on active service and extended exercises in the field for them to cope with with.
Good luck for your retirement it does seem that your own personal achievements have benefited others too. My wife is a teacher and I’ve seen first hand how the vocation affects all of society.

I have mate. I can't remember the last time I watched the news, or any TV in fact, in case I see Johnson's clown face. It's so embarrassing.
I'm mostly out in the garden, playing with or home-schooling the kids, walking the dog or writing my book these days.

I don’t read books but I’m sure it will be good. 👍

I'm hoping it will be made into a film so people who can't read can still feel included. Also, it should mean I'll be able to retire and do the things I want to do for the rest of my days without needing to put an income first.

I don’t watch films much either.
Although I’d be interested to see your spin on that one. 👍 :lol:

Back