What gives you joy?

Superb mate.
I guess very rewarding but challenging all in one.
I have worked all over and tried my hand at all kinds of things, but being a teacher tops the lot. It's the only job where I have never thrown a sickie because I just couldn't face it. I truly enjoy every single day and it's the students that make it such a blast. I would recommend it (teaching abroad) to anyone. I consider myself to be very fortunate to be in the position I'm In. It can be very challenging, especially when it's close to exam time, but a challenge I relish.

Me and me mate were talking about getting into fishing. Never really done it like. Reckon it would be a good thing to get into. Me Dad used to a lot but I was too busy listening to the Beatles , hoping Sunderland would win the cup and unsuccessfully trying to tap up lasses on a regular basis

I discovered early lasses generally don't like conversations that start with....do you know who has a blinding left foot.....Martin Scott :lol:

We always walk down either to Seaburn or the opposite direction to Marsden. I thank my lucky stars I have the ability to do it. The North East has some unbelievable views / places in it

Superb :lol:
If you can laugh at yourself fishing is for you.
Honestly go for it.
If you know somebody that knows the basics then that is really helpful, would also recommend you go for a walk and chat and watch a few fisherman. Most are always happy to help and you only need the basics. Tie a hook and you are almost there.
Tackle shops as well are good places to get advice.
Can see the next Whitehouse and Mortimer coming along :)
If I was close I would more than happy take you out and even lend you some of my gear to give you a start.

• Having a kick about with my 10 year old
  • Going to the gym with my 17 year old
  • Having a conversation with them about something they're interested in
  • Dog cuddling into me
  • Sunderland scoring
  • Being outdoors at my allotment
  • Having a pint and chatting to good mates

I sit on my patio and look across fields. I live on a farm (not mine) and it is so quiet. I have cows in the field most of the year. Starlings, Red kites and others fly around each day. A glass of white just adds to it.

Alternatively, I have not done this in a long time but my late wife and I would sit at a cafe on the Champs Elysee. We would drink coffee or something stronger and just watch the world go by. Not quite Rowell's cafe, opposite the Bis-Bar, but it was good. God I am old.
The simple things in life, hassle free not a care in the world.
Just chilling out is one of life’s great pleasures.
Sitting in the corner of the pub with a pint and the paper.
I find that odd, it just doesn’t feel right to me unless I’m waiting for someone to sit in a pub by myself.

Although it’s probably the same in a cafe, I enjoy my own company but prefer others around when out.

As for reading the paper, I understand why my dad has the views he does when I pick his up and read a few articles.

No wonder there’s so many angry people about, I’m sure it wasn’t as bad as they are now unless the news behind the headline is just as bad as the headline itself now in comparison.

Maybes journalists have become more opinionated than they already once were.

Last edited:
  • Young children squealing with laughter
  • Going for a walk in virgin snow
  • A film (esp a musical) with a happy ending
  • Seeing young people having a laugh without needing to swear their heads off
  • Seeing something in nature you wouldn't normally see
  • A fireworks display and a hotdog with onions
  • Seeing an underdog succeed
  • Seeing karma in action

Superb :lol:
If you can laugh at yourself fishing is for you.
Honestly go for it.
If you know somebody that knows the basics then that is really helpful, would also recommend you go for a walk and chat and watch a few fisherman. Most are always happy to help and you only need the basics. Tie a hook and you are almost there.
Tackle shops as well are good places to get advice.
Can see the next Whitehouse and Mortimer coming along :)
If I was close I would more than happy take you out and even lend you some of my gear to give you a start.
I might start chatting to a few when we walk out like. I reckon it'll be good for the soul plus the larder of course haha

I will begin the loose script for it but will likely have a loose ad-lib Curb your enthusiasm vibe . We can have special appearances by the worthy members of this forum haha

* Waking up to a an empty clean house while the Mrs is out and kids are at school
* The kids walking in from school and all giving me a big cuddle and telling me what they did at school
* Fresh Crusty Bread and butter
* The kids laughing and getting along
* Savoury Dip from Ibbotsons

A walk through the English countryside. The only time I really feel at peace is when me and the other half get away to the Lakes, Northumberland or the Peak District for a week every year.

At the start of October I remember sitting having breakfast outside in the pissing rain at Ambleside watching the mist rolling off the fells whilst cascades of water plummeted down the mountains. Absolutely wondrous.

Also we are expecting our first child, a little girl who is due January 28th. I cannot bloody wait.

Back