What gives you joy?

John Lingwood ex drummer lives 2 minutes from my house.
Lovely bloke and always have a chat with him.
Simple things for me:

Watching Swindon - Travelling with both my lads, special times that I know won’t be forever.
Feeding the birds in the garden - get so much pleasure and thinking I’m helping them along
Dog walks - See so much and enjoy that freedom
Fishing - solitude, time to think and reflect and just love the whole experience
Sex, drugs and Rock and Roll - can all but dream now but lived the life to the full as a single lad and had a very long innings :)

What do you teach mate.
I teach English, though you wouldn't know it by some of my badly typed, half pissed posts on here.

Simple things for me:

Watching Swindon - Travelling with both my lads, special times that I know won’t be forever.
Feeding the birds in the garden - get so much pleasure and thinking I’m helping them along
Fishing - solitude, time to think and reflect and just love the whole experience
Sex, drugs and Rock and Roll - can all but dream now but lived the life to the full as a single lad and had a very long innings :)

What do you teach mate.

This happened to me today. A month or so ago I saw a Robin in the garden a few times so thought I would get some food for it. Trouble was we have a cat which is always in the garden.

So I bought a bird table and put the food on there. Anyway today I heard an unfamiliar chirping sound and lo and behold a pair of blue tits were tucking away at a fat ball on the table.

I was absolutely chuffed to bits and caught myself proper grinning to myself

This happened to me today. A month or so ago I saw a Robin in the garden a few times so thought I would get some food for it. Trouble was we have a cat which is always in the garden.

So I bought a bird table and put the food on there. Anyway today I heard an unfamiliar chirping sound and lo and behold a pair of blue tits were tucking away at a fat ball on the table.

I was absolutely chuffed to bits and caught myself proper grinning to myself

Great idea mate having the bird table and plenty of view so the cat can’t hide. Keep feeding daily and within weeks more will come in.
Incredible the different species in different areas.

They are costing me a fortune at present.
Every day one bag of suet pellets a full bird table of sunflower seeds and mixed seeds and nuts.
One large sunflower feeder and a open nut feeder.

Got this daft Pheasant that sees me at the window, open the patio door and it sprints to me. Feed it by hand a foot away. My Mrs (no) couldn’t believe it, not afraid of the dog. Plenty of foxes but he roosts in the tall trees.
5 Robins in the garden at once, less territorial as they have plenty of food.
Problem is I can’t stop it now.
Absolutely love it. This Morning in the frost a song Thrush was belting out its beautiful song. Spring is closer.
Incredible that the Song Thrush will actually build a nest as early as February with the Blackbird following in March.

Great idea mate having the bird table and plenty of view so the cat can’t hide. Keep feeding daily and within weeks more will come in.
Incredible the different species in different areas.

They are costing me a fortune at present.
Every day one bag of suet pellets a full bird table of sunflower seeds and mixed seeds and nuts.
One large sunflower feeder and a open nut feeder.

Got this daft Pheasant that sees me at the window, open the patio door and it sprints to me. Feed it by hand a foot away. My Mrs (no) couldn’t believe it, not afraid of the dog. Plenty of foxes but he roosts in the tall trees.
5 Robins in the garden at once, less territorial as they have plenty of food.
Problem is I can’t stop it now.
Absolutely love it. This Morning in the frost a song Thrush was belting out its beautiful song. Spring is closer.
Incredible that the Song Thrush will actually build a nest as early as February with the Blackbird following in March.
It's strange, but I'm in the middle of nowhere, but very few birds in the garden. However, the deer make up for it...hearing them calling to each other when dusk arrives is a truly wonderful experience.

It's strange, but I'm in the middle of nowhere, but very few birds in the garden. However, the deer make up for it...hearing them calling to each other when dusk arrives is a truly wonderful experience.

That must be incredible. Another month and the Evenings will be awash with the songs of the birds.

Fox barking outside the bedroom window this Morning at 5am.
Tawny Owl calling the night before. Living in the Country, goes with the territory. The Deer can be very aggressive.

That must be incredible. Another month and the Evenings will be awash with the songs of the birds.

Fox barking outside the bedroom window this Morning at 5am.
Tawny Owl calling the night before. Living in the Country, goes with the territory. The Deer can be very aggressive.
I live in a deer fold, they are Roe deer. We've seen a few newborn this week, which I think is early. No cull for two years so loads of them. I live at the top of a valley, and in the summer we watch the Sparrow Hawks circle. Sometime a squadron of starlings arrive and beat them up. It's lovely round here :D

I live in a deer fold, they are Roe deer. We've seen a few newborn this week, which I think is early. No cull for two years so loads of them. I live at the top of a valley, and in the summer we watch the Sparrow Hawks circle. Sometime a squadron of starlings arrive and beat them up. It's lovely round here :D

Sounds perfect mate.
Glass of wine in hand listening and watching.

Simple things for me:

What do you teach mate.
Me and me mate were talking about getting into fishing. Never really done it like. Reckon it would be a good thing to get into. Me Dad used to a lot but I was too busy listening to the Beatles , hoping Sunderland would win the cup and unsuccessfully trying to tap up lasses on a regular basis

I discovered early lasses generally don't like conversations that start with....do you know who has a blinding left foot.....Martin Scott :lol:
Walking along seafront Roker/Seaburn on a warm sunny day, appreciating what's on your doorstep and being alive
We always walk down either to Seaburn or the opposite direction to Marsden. I thank my lucky stars I have the ability to do it. The North East has some unbelievable views / places in it

Last edited:
I sit on my patio and look across fields. I live on a farm (not mine) and it is so quiet. I have cows in the field most of the year. Starlings, Red kites and others fly around each day. A glass of white just adds to it.

Alternatively, I have not done this in a long time but my late wife and I would sit at a cafe on the Champs Elysee. We would drink coffee or something stronger and just watch the world go by. Not quite Rowell's cafe, opposite the Bis-Bar, but it was good. God I am old.

Back