What do you make of this ?

was one in peterless similar with balloons etc 10k fine got knocked down to 500

what gets me is releasing these balloons, basically littering and causing untold damage to wildlife.

Last one I did for charity we ensured we got biodegradable balloons etc.
Be about 10 years+ since I did that.

I don't have time for them these days.
As you say it's basically littering over a wide scale, AND it's an unnecessary waste of helium. Helium can be used for far more important things that can hopefully benefit society as a whole, rather than balloons that will fly away or pop.
This. I f***ing cringe when I see stuff about people releasing balloons. The harm they do to animals when they’ve burst is awful.
RSPCA

Chinese lanterns/ sky lanterns are far worse. They should be banned.

As you say it's basically littering over a wide scale, AND it's an unnecessary waste of helium. Helium can be used for far more important things that can hopefully benefit society as a whole, rather than balloons that will fly away or pop.

might be getting confused here but isnt there a shortage of helium or am i just making that up ?

agree re chinese lanterns, should be outlawed.

Agreed. Sound like Percy Sugden off Corrie but they’re a public menace.

might be getting confused here but isnt there a shortage of helium or am i just making that up ?

agree re chinese lanterns, should be outlawed.

There probably will be a shortage now. As that article says, it escapes the atmosphere and it's gone.
Agreed. Sound like Percy Sugden off Corrie but they’re a public menace.

Considering what they can do to wildlife and farm animals, and indeed crops and dry grassy areas, there's no reason for them. You're basically setting a fire off and not watching where it lands.

Last edited:
Most of these balloons are biodegradable which slightly mitigates it for me.
It's a very slightly slightly tbh, as 'biodegradable' balloons are bullshit.

Yes they will degrade - but in six months to four years. Makes them marginally better than the others but not much, and hardly at all in terms of the risk they pose to all kinds of animals at sea or on land.

Just wish people would find another way of marking an occasion which isn't in practical impact the same as driving round in a car throwing rubbish out the window at random. So thoughtless.

Most of these balloons are biodegradable which slightly mitigates it for me.

Some people are claiming he doesn’t need to pay the new fine as he paid the old one. That’s not right, they are within their rights to correct an error.

He knew the rules and regardless of age, the fine is correct. He organised an illegal gathering during a pandemic. Ironically it was to mark the death of someone by creating a chance of someone else dying from Covid. It’s outdoor so it’s unlikely but still a chance.

The £10,000 fine isn’t exactly a fine as such. It’s a charge which can be appealed at court. He’ll appeal and end up paying no more than £1,000.
it was a hideous idea but that's what kids do these days - the lad created an event on FB, he was warned it was illegal so he announced it was cancelled, everyone turned up regardless. They turned up in enormous numbers for Jamie's funeral as well

The £400 fine was a bit of an own goal but everyone chipped in and it was paid, this is f***ing ridiculous and I'm sure they will have to climb down. Durham Constabulary appear to have lost their way since the previous Chief left, they could have policed this as a community event and built a few bridges with the local youth and instead they've driven a massive wedge between them and a lot of very angry kids, f***ing useless.

PS - I know it was wrong but these were a pretty unique set of tragic circumstances

it was a hideous idea but that's what kids do these days - the lad created an event on FB, he was warned it was illegal so he announced it was cancelled, everyone turned up regardless. They turned up in enormous numbers for Jamie's funeral as well

The £400 fine was a bit of an own goal but everyone chipped in and it was paid, this is f***ing ridiculous and I'm sure they will have to climb down. Durham Constabulary appear to have lost their way since the previous Chief left, they could have policed this as a community event and built a few bridges with the local youth and instead they've driven a massive wedge between them and a lot of very angry kids, f***ing useless.

PS - I know it was wrong but these were a pretty unique set of tragic circumstances

Well said. They were targeting kids later on after this event too. I know they’ve got a job to do, but they’ve managed to turn most of the village against them now. As you said something that could have built bridges with people has now caused anger and they’ll get no respect in future, quite the opposite i suspect and not just with kids.

Some police & counsellors attended the event but nothing was said. The other events were allowed without fines to date too. They’ve tried to make an example of him and its pathetic and wrong.

Back