What do you listen to your music on?

I rarely listen to music for pleasure these days, to be honest. More for research or for work. Have a pair of AKG headphones if I'm working on stuff and just a pair of xiaomi in ears for Spotify and the likes. I'm certainly not a music snob.

If I'm out doing a show and providing my own sound, though, (which isn't so often over here as most of the time I'm using in house systems), I use RCF 745a's.

A single earbud headphone set to mono at work, streaming mostly Spotify - sometimes Amazon or Youtube.

CDs in the car stereo

Alexa

Occasionally hoy me Sony vinyl deck on, but maybe not as often as I'd like.

iPod n docking station now n then. Use it with earphones on holiday.

I've got a Denon amp and Mission speakers with stands boxed in the loft doing nothing ,
how would i go about getting a device to plug into the back of the amp so i can bluetooth songs , you tube videos from tablet and phone ?.

Is a S/H Chromecast audio my only option ? as mentioned earlier by @Patch .
He said they can be picked up on e bay for £40 , but just looked at completed sales and they are going for £70 to £100.

Got a Project 2.9 wood turntable to get rid of with a very good cartridge to sell if anyone is looking to upgrade their system.

I've got a Denon amp and Mission speakers with stands boxed in the loft doing nothing ,
how would i go about getting a device to plug into the back of the amp so i can bluetooth songs , you tube videos from tablet and phone ?.

He said they can be picked up on e bay for £40 , but just looked at completed sales and they are going for £70 to £100.

You can get a Bluetooth device for next to nowt; this one seems to get a decent rating. The Chromecast links in to your home WiFi so provides higher, more reliable bandwidth; you can get them from Cex for about £40

Last edited:
Look at me, I have a NAD C 515BEE, pathetic
Never use it tbh.

I used to have one of these, the built-in DAC is brilliant Home review

Last edited:

Ive got an old IPad where the screen is failing. I bought a decent RCA to 3.5mm jack cable and play Spotify through this set up. Once it is on, I can control Spotify via my laptop app or phone app.

One of my favourite subjects, glad you asked :)

Main system for streaming, dvds, cds, squeezebox, vinyl is a Wyred4Sound STP1000 power amp with a Cyrus PreXVS, ATC SCM42 II speakers, Naim CD5si, Squeezebox Classic or Touch.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Junior system, Bel Canto S300iUSB, ProAc Tablette 50 speakers, Meridian GO6 cd.

Drum room, iPad mini through Beyer DT100s or Crown XLS100 amp through Alesis monitors.

In the car I have a pile of crap Bose 12 speaker system with a subwoofer, playing via USB stick, cd or iPhone.

Out and about Sennheiser HD25 II or HD100, via iPhone or iPod shuffles, in the kitchen I use a surprisingly acceptable bluetooth Anker SoundCore 2.

The advice to buy another amplifier isn't necessarily quite correct, because you'd have to plug the speakers into that, thereby losing the functionality of the minidisc, cassette and CD players.

Record players have a lower output signal than other sources. In the olden days, when nearly everybody listened to records, amplifier manufacturers solved this problem by having a 'phono' channel. This phono channel was specifically to provide the extra signal boost required by the record player.

When records went out of fashion many manufacturers stopped including a dedicated phono channel.

So the simplest/cheapest solution for you is to buy a dedicated phono 'stage' or preamplifier. This will go between the record player and an input to your Sony system.

Something like this...

Pro-Ject Phono Box MM
Cheers marra. Fitted that very one yesterday. Ebaytastic. I used to have it turned up to 30 to be able to here owt across the room, now 3 is enuff. More fuller sound anarl. I can see me getting more n more vinyl again.....that got out of hand 40-45yrs ago. I’m gonna be sensible this time round.

everyDay listening on the laptop for work

Tidal > Jitterbug usb > Chord Mojo > B&W P9's (did have Grado RS1's but now sharing an office so the noise leakage was too much)

Mancave

Systemdek iiX Turntable
Roksan Kandy Amp
MicroMega CD PLayer
B&W 685 S2 speakers
Muso Cobblestone for Tidal streaming

I do like to buy older equipment think muy favourites were my Naim 5 amp/cd but had to sell them when was out of work in the past and for a good sounding budget old amp A&R Cambridge A60 which was like 30 quid and had amazing sounds. Do also think tamps like Temple Audio Bantam. High Quality Class T-Amp. are good and offer really good value as well.

Back