What do you do for charity?

Yeah I normally do that, stopped due to COVID then had an infection in tooth so wouldn't let me. Hopefully ok in Sept or Oct
Ive been in and out due to travel (pre covid) and being bone marrow donor candidate.

Today the lass totally missed my vein and just stabbed my arm... got to wait a couple of weeks before i can try again

Diret debits to a local food bank, Oxfam and Water Aid. In the snow I have given down and outs a few quid, I usually buy Big Issue though less frequently since lockdown - fewer sellers. Give occasionally and at Christmas to Shelter.

Don't give to medical charities that effectively fund big pharmacological companies, never entertain any street or doorstep tin rattler.

In the end charity shouldn't be necessary in a rich nation like ours.

Ive been in and out due to travel (pre covid) and being bone marrow donor candidate.

Today the lass totally missed my vein and just stabbed my arm... got to wait a couple of weeks before i can try again
I've had something similar happen and they have to stop and send you home after you might have been waiting an hour. I said just try the other arm but they wouldn't

K
I've had something similar happen and they have to stop and send you home after you might have been waiting an hour. I said just try the other arm but they wouldn't
Knocked that on head few yrs ago now i think as official policy... but im coming off a broken non donor arm so i was not to keen on her trying

I volunteer for a local charity and used to do so for a different one. It’s very rewarding if you believe in it and if it’s appreciated, less so if you are taken for granted.

I must say though I’m careful if I give any money as I need to know where it’s going.

Fiver comes off wages to go to charity. Wasn’t planning to but everyone else in induction signed up so didn’t want to seem like the tight one. We vote on the chosen charity each year and they’re all local so don’t mind

Regular donations to Oxfam, Hope Not Hate (that’ll catch a few), Magic Breakfast and the food bank.

And I’ve been a fundraiser for 20ish years now.

Worst are people who dump all their household junk outside charity shops and think they've saved the world.

Yeah and you get paid for it?

I get paid to be a charity fundraiser, yes. It amazes me that I still have to explain this to people.
I have a set of skills to raise money for charity which many do not.
I am paid to use these skills to bring in thousands of pounds for the charity which if I didn't, the activities of the charity couldn't happen.

If you're good at something, never do it for free - The Joker.
Having worked for a couple of charities in the past, it amazes me how much money gets wasted. Would never happen in a normal business where the bosses are spending their own money. There was 5 people doing jobs in one place that I could have done them all myself and still had a day off a week.

Do tell...

Also do you think big businesses don't waste money? Course they do. Millions of it.
the missus has a small monthly DD to cancer based charities after her dad died of cancer young. I coordinate an annual charity week with Year 12 students where they select a charity and carry out lots of events to raise money. Usually raise anything between 10 and 20k each year.

Excellent work with the Year 12. Shame I'm not in your area, you could have done it for my charity!

Last edited:
I get paid to be a charity fundraiser, yes. It amazes me that I still have to explain this to people.
I am paid to use these skills to bring in thousands of pounds for the charity which if I didn't, the activities of the charity couldn't happen.

Do tell...

Also do you think big businesses don't waste money? Course they do. Millions of it.

Excellent work with the Year 12. Shame I'm not in your area, you could have done it for my charity!
If more people had your attitude, the world would be a much better place.

Respect 👍

I donate to St Oswalds hospice occassionly.
I would NEVER donate to any big national charities eg Cancer research, heart foundation, help for heroes etc as imo too much £££ is skimmed of before it reaches the people it was intended for.
There's a reason there are so many charities.
Too many people making a fortune from them. Legal corruption and fraud

On behalf of the charity sector and those who work in it, that's a pretty bold statement unless you can back it up.

FWIW, I've never worked for a charity with an in/out of more than £10M, although I have worked for national and regional charities.
If more people had your attitude, the world would be a much better place.

Respect 👍

I cut my teeth on fundraising at University. Barely a weekend would go by when I wasn't in some city or other, probably in a charity t-shirt or something daft with a bucket in my hand.
Bucket collections have dropped off the map compared to what they used to be. Cash is (almost) dead.

Last edited:

Do tell...

The students choose the Charity themselves. Its usually one were there is a link to a particular student in the year group.

Do tell...

So same as a cold caller salesman. You’re making a business money which is 99% of British workforce role. I’m in no way taking the piss but you’re not doing anything charitable if you’re getting paid for it.

Do tell...

I wouldn’t name the charity, but they had someone on secondment putting in a six figure it system which was imo completely unnecessary. A finance director, no idea what they did. A financial controller, who to be fair did most of the work and 3 accounts clerks who put together a load of unnecessary paperwork that nobody ever looked at. The charity did, and still does great work just has a lot of waste. Oh and the owner of the agency that put be in there for a couple of months Just happened to be on the board at the charity and do you think they got a discount?

So same as a cold caller salesman. You’re making a business money which is 99% of British workforce role. I’m in no way taking the piss but you’re not doing anything charitable if you’re getting paid for it.

Totally different beast.

It's not about "making a business money". It's a not for profit organisation. It's about funding things which need to be funded otherwise they won't exist.

You seem to misunderstand the way charities work. Easily done if you've not worked in the sector, but assuming that just because people get paid, it's not "charitable" is incorrect.
Charities can't run on volunteers alone. We have a lot of volunteers who give up their time to support us, but it can't function with them alone.
You could argue that the volunteers aren't doing something "charitable" because they're getting something out of it.
I wouldn’t name the charity, but they had someone on secondment putting in a six figure it system which was imo completely unnecessary. A finance director, no idea what they did. A financial controller, who to be fair did most of the work and 3 accounts clerks who put together a load of unnecessary paperwork that nobody ever looked at. The charity did, and still does great work just has a lot of waste. Oh and the owner of the agency that put be in there for a couple of months Just happened to be on the board at the charity and do you think they got a discount?

Shop them to the charities commission and Fundraising Regulator. That's what they're there for.

Last edited:

Back