What do we need in the January window?

I’d like Jerry Yates, works his socks of from what I’ve seen. Not massive but grafts well enough to play on his own and versatile enough to play in a two.
It’s not really likely though is it? When was the last time that Speakman signed a player with his pedigree - I.e. an attacking type player who’s the wrong side of 25 and who has never played higher than lower half Championship?

It’s not really likely though is it? When was the last time that Speakman signed a player with his pedigree - I.e. an attacking type player who’s the wrong side of 25 and who has never played higher than lower half Championship?
I suspect they would sign the right player of that type based on the signing of the likes of Batth and Evans but only for the right deal. We’ll no doubt be looking for players like Stewart who was going under the radar a bit.

Think the best Jan I seen for us was under big Sam and the 3 K's coming in. Total game changers them for that 2nd half of the season.
Aye, wasn't sure after Kirchoff's debut like!

Best thing about that period was how Big Sam handled the fitness of players who had always been injury prone. Getting 13 games in a row out of Kirchoff, Cattermole, Kaboul etc, was unreal.

I suspect they would sign the right player of that type based on the signing of the likes of Batth and Evans but only for the right deal. We’ll no doubt be looking for players like Stewart who was going under the radar a bit.
Personally I don’t think so, I could be wrong of course. Batth and Evans were very experienced in key defensive positions at a time when they were very much needed - and they had spent most of their careers at a level higher than we were at when we signed them. There is nothing about Yates career to date that says he could be a top Championship player, and that’s the type of player that we’ll be signing next.

Not necessarily January but watching their matches recently, a Japanese player maybe worth looking at. Apart from those commercial aspects for the club, an ultra dedicated player who will fight and chase everything until the end would fit in nicely here.

Personally I don’t think so, I could be wrong of course. Batth and Evans were very experienced in key defensive positions at a time when they were very much needed - and they had spent most of their careers at a level higher than we were at when we signed them. There is nothing about Yates career to date that says he could be a top Championship player, and that’s the type of player that we’ll be signing next.
He’s just turned 26 and has looked very good last couple of years. I think he can be considered good championship level now. 9 goals and 2 assists this season. Of course based purely on stats Stockton would have been a good signing and Yates may be in a peak season but he seems able to progress and has a good attitude from what I can tell. Players that are championship versions of Evans and Batth signings are likely to be on huge wages and so more difficult to get although Yates is also not likely to be cheap now so wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a couple of fairly random random signings from obscure international leagues.

No.1 priority is a replacement for the outgoing Stewart
Spot on mate.
Sign him up or ship him out, we don’t want someone of value going into the last year of his contract the closer to the end of his deal the less we will get or him.
It’s a shame if that’s how it’s going cos I rate the lad but we have to start operating like a business. I’d like to think we are ahead of the game with this with replacements already scouted and lined up.

I think that you’ve maybe missed my point. Of course there is always room for improvement, my point is that we’ve got a first team squad of 25 and I don’t think that we’ll be adding to it in terms of numbers. If someone comes in then someone will leave. The 4 players that you mention aren’t the greatest but they are decent backup players for a club looking to have a boring mid-table season in the Championship. Unless somebody high on the data list becomes unexpectedly available in January then I don’t see much business happening. I’m ok with that, because we are still a long way from standing still with squad - some big players coming back from injury, a few more starting to show their potential in the past few games, and a few more with the chance to make an impression.

I haven't missed your point at all. We will have yo move some on and we will have to bring some in, otherwise we might struggle and we will almost certainly go backwards. I mentioned those names simply as they were probably the most obvious examples that sprung to mind.

We have to be continually doing that to make any kind of progress. Coming up with numbers of 25 or data lists is just hiding behind the fact to make progress it's going to cost money.

Mario Gonzalez from Braga. Currently on loan in Belgium. Transfer market have him at €4m, others less. A Spanish RS, if he was to go in Jan.

A young, promising Striker in.

Hume, Dajaku and Matete out on loan.

we need him

another striker, or 2 if Stewart leaves. And a dominant physical midfielder.
Dajaku out, maybe Matete out on loan with a call back release

Last edited:
Macaulay Langstaff - Sunderland in for Magpies Striker shock!!!!

A Lad from Stockton on Tees...... Mowbray's Turf....Ex SAFC......Is it 19 goals in 20 games

Last edited:
We specifically don't want anyone wanting to be 3rd choice. I want someone who'd back themselves to break into the side above the players we already have.

Quoting how far we are of 6th! Thus is embarrassing, it really is.

We should be striving to be better at all times. Sit Still you go backwards.

As far as suggestions, I'm not going to give names so you can try to rip them to bits. What I will say is that they should be permanent signings, that the recruitment team are well paid to compile these names and that they've had 2 years to do so. Over to them in a month.
My thoughts exactly. Why do people keep saying 3rd choice? If that striker had been signed and was sitting on a dozen or so goals he’s not third choice is he.

My worry isn’t Stewart going (if we get a good fee), it’s losing Diallo and Simms. It’s not uncommon to see clubs recall players out on loan to send them elsewhere.

Back