What do we need in the January window?

Diallio is not a striker. Everyone has seen how playing without one has effected team shape and results. We've 2 strikers, neither of whom are fully fit and one who's notbeven ours. We need someone for rest of season and we're in desperate need before the summer, no matter how much you'd like to cover for speakmans mistakes

Weve been playing without two and now both are back.

We'll be playing one upfront and we now have two fit out and out forwards along with Diallo who can play there at a push. There's been stories this week about an enquiry for Archer and we'll no doubt be looking around for a young lad with potential to fit with the model.

We're not in desperate need now at all with Stewart and Simms back. It's rare to find any decent players permanently in Jan as no team wants to sell and we won't be throwing big money about.

Weve been playing without two and now both are back.

We'll be playing one upfront and we now have two fit out and out forwards along with Diallo who can play there at a push. There's been stories this week about an enquiry for Archer and we'll no doubt be looking around for a young lad with potential to fit with the model.

We're not in desperate need now at all with Stewart and Simms back. It's rare to find any decent players permanently in Jan as no team wants to sell and we won't be throwing big money about.
Archer would fit villas model, develop their player and pay for the privilege. Again. As long as he's a hole in his arse diallo is no striker. We'll have injuries, suspensions and loss of form. Why is it acceptable to have too.many wingers of central midfielders but not enough strikers? Maybe because they're the most expensive players in any side? We've had 2 years to find players so club can't complain they couldn't find players. No ones asking them to throw fortunes at ot, simply have more than one contracted striker in the club. Options up front win games. Competition breads success. Or we could just flog Stewart until he drops again.

Archer would fit villas model, develop their player and pay for the privilege. Again. As long as he's a hole in his arse diallo is no striker. We'll have injuries, suspensions and loss of form. Why is it acceptable to have too.many wingers of central midfielders but not enough strikers? Maybe because they're the most expensive players in any side? We've had 2 years to find players so club can't complain they couldn't find players. No ones asking them to throw fortunes at ot, simply have more than one contracted striker in the club. Options up front win games. Competition breads success. Or we could just flog Stewart until he drops again.

How have we had 2 years to find players? We finished 5th in League one and have just came up after being down there 3 yr!...there was no guarantees we were going up last season so how you've came up with they've had 2 years to plan for the championship is beyond me.

Seriously, you need a f#cking reality check. Any team losing their two main forwards (Premiership included) would have struggled, but we've done alright and stayed in the mix. You can't just have a bottomless pit of good strikers on your books incase of injury!

If you think the club is doing a bad job then so be it, end of discussion.

I've already said I'd be looking to bring a young striker in if the right player is available. Diallo has started getting amongst the goals and getting more confident too. All 3 are fit now, no need to be wishing anymore injuries on the lads especially when none of them are known for being sick notes.

No mental illness here btw, but that doesn't make you any less of a tit for trying to imply it.
Don’t worry mate. It would appear that anybody that doesn’t agree with the dinosaur [in this instance, the view that the world will come to an end if we haven’t signed at least one more striker to cope when both Stewart and Simms fall down dead on 1st February] has some form of personal mental well being issue. People like him that equate disagreeing with their views with having a mental illness shouldn’t be allowed access to the internet or outside in public.
By the way we’ve had 10 games this season when we’ve had at least one of Stewart or Simms fit for the full 90 minutes, and 10 games when neither have been fit for the full 90 minutes. We got 14 points from the 10 (1.4 ppg) where at least one of them has been fit, and 13 points from the 10 (1.3 ppg) where neither has been fit. It’s not the difference that people think.

On the flip side we’ve only had 7 games where both have been fit for the full 90, and we are averaging 1.6 ppg in those 7. The data season to date indicates that a 3rd choice CF would get a start in 65% of our games, and would up our ppg to 1.6 for the remainder of the season.

Last edited:
How have we had 2 years to find players? We finished 5th in League one and have just came up after being down there 3 yr!...there was no guarantees we were going up last season so how you've came up with they've had 2 years to plan for the championship is beyond me.

Seriously, you need a f#cking reality check. Any team losing their two main forwards (Premiership included) would have struggled, but we've done alright and stayed in the mix. You can't just have a bottomless pit of good strikers on your books incase of injury!

Yes we've had 2 years since our last permanent striker signed, in that time every other striker contracted to us had left. Any clubs recruitment team should be planning for every eventuality so stating which league we were in (we all know and are sick of hearing it as an excuse) it irrelevant. Nothing stopping them planning for promotion and listing players according.

As for bottomless pit of strikers, we've 1 contracted to us right now :lol: I'd hate to see what you think short looks like. We're doing well in certain areas, ive posted that repeatedly over the last few months, however all that good work is being undone by the lack of strikers. All good teams (Premiership included) have multiple options.

Correct. Another strong CM would be great and a good keeper but really it's just another striker that is needed.
We definitely need a strong, experienced centre mid player in this window and possibly let one of Matete or Ba go out on loan [Ba definitely has something about him but can't be carrying the can just yet in that area as we saw v Cardiff recently]. Michut has arrived with great credentials but hampered by injury thus far so we don't know how he'll handle Championship football. Dan Neil has clear ability but hasn't done enough to be a regular choice and needs to dominate games more when he plays. Embleton can be tremendous but like Neil needs to dominate games more.Evans has done well but can he play the rest of the campaign unhindered?

To me central midfield will be key to our potential progress to the play off places along with good striking options......

Last edited:
We’ll see.

We’ve got 25 first team squad players. To progress we don’t need more, we need better (in every position) - that will only happen if there are outgoings from the current 25.

Well yes, that's what I'm getting at. Wright as much as I like him isn't a regular centre half at this level, Onien isn't a regular player either, or shouldn't be. There's a few more in that sort of bracket and question marks over the likes of Matete, Dejaku. Sooner or later the latter two will have to make loan moves or move on as they don't look good enough for games here and hence aren't going to progress.

There should be a constant pruning and honing of the squad. thankfully the people in charge are aware of that and seem to be doing it, whereas many of the fans think because we've been half decent over the course of the first half a season we should stand completely still with what we have - I'm absolutely mind blown that there are those that don't think it needs constant tweaking.

Well said sir….some of this retrospective whinging is unfounded….the club is progressing.

Any striker coming in must be a grafter. It's all about the press.

I'd look for 1 or 2 strikers in. With those coming back we're covered well I'd say.

Well yes, that's what I'm getting at. Wright as much as I like him isn't a regular centre half at this level, Onien isn't a regular player either, or shouldn't be. There's a few more in that sort of bracket and question marks over the likes of Matete, Dejaku. Sooner or later the latter two will have to make loan moves or move on as they don't look good enough for games here and hence aren't going to progress.

There should be a constant pruning and honing of the squad. thankfully the people in charge are aware of that and seem to be doing it, whereas many of the fans think because we've been half decent over the course of the first half a season we should stand completely still with what we have - I'm absolutely mind blown that there are those that don't think it needs constant tweaking.
I think that you’ve maybe missed my point. Of course there is always room for improvement, my point is that we’ve got a first team squad of 25 and I don’t think that we’ll be adding to it in terms of numbers. If someone comes in then someone will leave. The 4 players that you mention aren’t the greatest but they are decent backup players for a club looking to have a boring mid-table season in the Championship. Unless somebody high on the data list becomes unexpectedly available in January then I don’t see much business happening. I’m ok with that, because we are still a long way from standing still with squad - some big players coming back from injury, a few more starting to show their potential in the past few games, and a few more with the chance to make an impression.

Any striker coming in must be a grafter. It's all about the press.

I'd look for 1 or 2 strikers in. With those coming back we're covered well I'd say.
I’d like Jerry Yates, works his socks of from what I’ve seen. Not massive but grafts well enough to play on his own and versatile enough to play in a two.

I’d like Jerry Yates, works his socks of from what I’ve seen. Not massive but grafts well enough to play on his own and versatile enough to play in a two.
Ideally we'd get that type before he joins Blackpool. Instead of loans I'd like to see ux gamble on a younger player from lower down league with something to prove. Plenty with talent who work more as they know how easy it is to slip out of game

Back